Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Uh Oh... someone is confused again.

You originally told me additional cooling on an LT4/camaro wasn't needed. Now here we are having a discussing about how hot things are.
Where did I EVER say that? Quit making things up to try to discredit other people.

A Twin Turbo is two independent turbos feeding each bank. A Bi-Turbo and Twin Scroll are all on the same system... to prevent turbo lag.
You really don't know much about turbos...

"Twin Turbo" and "Bi-Turbo" are semantics of the same thing: 2 turbos.

You can have 2 turbos on a V-motor with one turbo on each bank. (488, F40, M5, 4.0 AMG, 3000GT, 300ZX, R35 GTR, 911 Turbo)
You can have 2 turbos on an inline-6 with one turbo for each 3 cyl. (N54 BMW 335, Supra TT, R32-34 GTR)
You can have 2 turbos compounded where one turbo FEEDS the other (FD RX7)
You can have 2 turbos sequentially mounted where the exhaust gasses feed a small turbo, with the big one blocked off, and at a point, the valve opens to feed the big turbo (Subaru Legacy 2.0, Porsche 959).

"Bi" and "Twin" are semantics in that AMG calls the engine a 'biturbo' while referring to it as 'twin turbo' in the description:
mercedes-m157.png

---

Twin scroll is a type of turbine housing which has two separate entries:TS is pretty much only used on engines with 4 cylinders (an I-4 or half the bank of a V8) to sequence the exhaust pulses for quicker spool. I can't recall any twin scroll being used on a V6.
modp-0906-03-o-twin-scroll-diagram.jpg

(you can really just google this stuff). It blows my mind you continue to argue things like this because you can't admit you made a mistake or were wrong.

The Audi above is a Twin Scroll, not a true twin
That Audi V8 IS a "true" twin turbo, with 2 twin-scroll turbos:

"Thus was born the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V-8, sporting an all-aluminum design with double overhead cams, variable valve timing, direct injection, and two twin-scroll turbochargers nestled in the valley of the V."
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a8884/how-it-works-audis-4-liter-turbo-v-8-15334991/

:frusty:

For reference, a Twin Turbo is a seperate turbo and plumbing for each cylinder bank.

A Bi-Turbo or Twin Scroll is TWO (02) turbos in a line. As in a little turbo drives a larger turbo which drives the engine yeah?

Technically, an Inline engine would be limited to a Bit or Twin Scroll (new Focus RS 2.3 uses a TS). However, I guess you could have two identical systems driving the same cylinder bank, as long as they are independent.

So no... a Twin Turbo is all by itself. A Bi-Turbo/Twin Scroll are two different turbos, set up in a chain, where one spools the other to eliminate lag.
You're digging your ignorant hole deeper.

I clarified Twin/Bi & Twinscroll above. The Ecoboost Mustang & Focus RS does not have 2 'inline' turbos. It's just a single Twinscroll turbo.

Can you please point out the imaginary second turbo for me in this TwinScroll setup?: (there isn't one)
2015-Ford-Mustang-turbocharged-2-3-liter-EcoBoost-inline-4-engine-626x456.jpg

:headbonk:

IMSA? Cooling was outstanding with the exception of some mishaps. All of Fords systems for the FGT are tested in IMSA. A race car is race bred, a camaro is sedan based. Yes, there is plenty of feedback with the cooling systems for both the turbo system and the coyote/voodoo.

The Front fascia has EVERYTHING to do with cooling a heat exchanger for a turbo. The camaro has very little cool air available to cool the heat exchangers for any system. The GT500 will continue to expand the GT350's grill area.
Ya, because the racecar uses the same turbos, radiators, and intercoolers as the street car... lol :headbonk:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Anyone else think that it's going to be hard to get this at R level of pricing, with the addition of the TT set up?

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
That's hard to say, as there really is no "this" yet in practical terms. Despite what some parties want us to believe, there is still nothing concrete that we can say that we know, with reasonable certainty, about a potential GT500 or otherwise evolved Hummingbird. Or a Mach1. Or a Bullitt or any other feature car that is likewise potentially coming. Everything that everyone is going apeshit over is still rampant internet speculation, based on hypothesis and a few spy shots that may or may not be relevant, and it seems to be self-feeding.

Really, you guys should know by know that you can't read anything into mule vehicles or development prototypes, because they're too easily cobbled from random bits. Even if the recent sighting is a TT-level car, there is still nothing to indicate which car it truly is. We're just going to have to be patient, and see what happens.

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
For reference, a Twin Turbo is a seperate turbo and plumbing for each cylinder bank.

A Bi-Turbo or Twin Scroll is TWO (02) turbos in a line. As in a little turbo drives a larger turbo which drives the engine yeah?

Technically, an Inline engine would be limited to a Bit or Twin Scroll (new Focus RS 2.3 uses a TS). However, I guess you could have two identical systems driving the same cylinder bank, as long as they are independent.

So no... a Twin Turbo is all by itself. A Bi-Turbo/Twin Scroll are two different turbos, set up in a chain, where one spools the other to eliminate lag.
You are confusing Twin scroll with Twin Sequential...

See Stuntman's post #257

Last edited:

Sponsored

healntoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'68 GT350 Convertible
That's hard to say, as there really is no "this" yet in practical terms. Despite what some parties want us to believe, there is still nothing concrete that we can say that we know, with reasonable certainty, about a potential GT500 or otherwise evolved Hummingbird. Or a Mach1. Or a Bullitt or any other feature car that is likewise potentially coming. Everything that everyone is going apeshit over is still rampant internet speculation, based on hypothesis and a few spy shots that may or may not be relevant, and it seems to be self-feeding.

Really, you guys should know by know that you can't read anything into mule vehicles or development prototypes, because they're too easily cobbled from random bits. Even if the recent sighting is a TT-level car, there is still nothing to indicate which car it truly is. We're just going to have to be patient, and see what happens.
Your post is one of the most reasonable and measured responses yet on all this speculation! Several claim to know someone at FP, or knows someone who knows someone that supposedly it the know, or has some sort of secretive connection and is telling a convincing story, but I AM VERY SKEPTICAL that any of them really has any inside track on accurate reliable information regarding a new GT500, or other limited production model. We are going to know only what Ford wants us to know and I believe that they probably get a good laugh over a feeding frenzy like we are seeing here!

All of the speculation on these threads is just that - SPECULATION. The source of it all is what these who post are HOPING for because of a personal preference on their part. The only time any of this changes is when Ford makes a verifiable statement, or pics/video are published, or we see the video of test mules running at the Nurburgring, etc. Until something like this surfaces, I suggest that you all take a deep breath and calm down...whatever the program is, we'll all know soon enough. It will be fun to see things unfold over the next few months but we all know that it will take a while the same that it did as the details of the GT350 started trickling down at the beginning of that program.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
That's just it. I suspect that there are people here on this site, as I've said elsewhere, that know what's going down. Some of them may even drop very subtle hints, but since they all want to keep their jobs, no one is talking.

Look, Ford is well aware that every time a mule vehicle leaves the gates in Dearborn, it has a high likelihood of being photographed. For all we know, they may occasionally send one out just to troll us, since they know we'll eat it up. You can argue that they wouldn't put resources into something like that, but on the other hand, it would be very easy to do and could be an effective distraction tactic. Heck, we're all assuming that the car spotted recently is an '18MY update of some kickass version. But the first S550 I personally drove wore S197 clothes, and the first S197 mule I ever saw was a Lincoln LS with a chopped up nose - just sayin'. It might not even be an S550 we're seeing here. That's why I keep pointing out that you can't put any weight on what you see in the photos...

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
You are confusing Twin scroll with Twin Sequential...

See Stuntman's post #255
No, I'm pretty sure you can have a Twin Scroll, Bi-Turbo because that is what Audi uses.

He is incorrect, a Bi-Turbo is not a Twin Turbo.

Stuntman is like that, he will just continue to debate things that he is completely incorrect about.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
People were this skeptical about a Trinity GT500 too. They laughed and laughed at the idea of a 600+HP Mustang...

I'm in complete shock some people are still in denial here.

As thePill originally reported months ago. The GT500 is coming, it is an Ecoboost V8, it will likely be a Bi-Turbo, it will be near 800hp...

thePill's speculation hasn't changed for about a year... he was right all along :lol:

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
No, I'm pretty sure you can have a Twin Scroll, Bi-Turbo because that is what Audi uses.

Stuntman is like that, he will just continue to debate things that he is completely incorrect about.
Bi-Turbo and Twin Turbo are the same thing. It's literally the first sentence in the Wikipedia article.
Twin-turbo or biturbo refers to a turbocharged engine in which two turbochargers compress the intake charge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-turbo

BMW and Audi use two twin scroll turbos. They also use a hot-vee design which I highly doubt we will see in a Mustang. But the hot-vee design allows them to split the exhaust pulses to time them correctly for the two twin scroll turbos. Since there are 4 turbine inlets, each one will get an exhaust pulse every 360° of crank rotation. The only way to realistically do this with the turbos on the outside of the motor is to use a flat plane crank.

Last edited:

Sponsored

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150

Yes, you are correct. You can have a twin scroll, twin turbo system. Twin scroll only refers to the turbine housing. It has NOTHING to do with how many turbos are in the system.

Twin and bi turbo are the exact same thing. Look up the prefix "bi" it means two...not sure why its so hard for you to understand.

Bi-Turbo and Twin Turbo are the same thing. It's literally the first sentence in the Wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-turbo

BMW and Audi use two twin scroll turbos. They also use a hot-vee design which I highly doubt we will see in a Mustang. But the hot-vee design allows them to split the exhaust pulses to time them correctly for the two twin scroll turbos. Since there are 4 compressor inlets, each one will get an exhaust pulse every 360° of crank rotation. The only way to realistically do this with the turbos on the outside of the motor is to use a flat plane crank.

+1. You may be getting a little complicated for him to understand. After all, he is having trouble with twin and bi meaning the same thing. :crazy:

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
People were this skeptical about a Trinity GT500 too. They laughed and laughed at the idea of a 600+HP Mustang...

I'm in complete shock some people are still in denial here.

As thePill originally reported months ago. The GT500 is coming, it is an Ecoboost V8, it will likely be a Bi-Turbo, it will be near 800hp...

thePill's speculation hasn't changed for about a year... he was right all along :lol:
It ain't, I know. I've seen it. Pretty nice being an engineer about 10 minutes from Ford engineering headquarters. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You're going to look awful yet again. Man, I can't wait. Just like you swore the S550 would lose weight, the S550GTPP would take down the 5th gen 1LE, then the Camaro couldn't make the 3750 lb 1SS, etc.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Yes, you are correct. You can have a twin scroll, twin turbo system. Twin scroll only refers to the turbine housing. It has NOTHING to do with how many turbos are in the system.

Twin and bi turbo are the exact same thing. Look up the prefix "bi" it means two...not sure why its so hard for you to understand.

+1. You may be getting a little complicated for him to understand. After all, he is having trouble with twin and bi meaning the same thing. :crazy:
ThePill is backpedaling again and clouding the discussion with contradicting statements to save face.. -His MO

He also said a bi turbo and twinscroll are the same thing: 2 turbos in series (small feeding large). Lol. :lol:

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
ThePill is backpedaling again and clouding the discussion with contradicting statements to save face.. -His MO

He also said a bi turbo and twinscroll are the same thing: 2 turbos in series (small feeding large). Lol. :lol:
No...

Bi-Turbo= Sequential

Twin Turbo= Parallel

Twin Scroll= Type of Turbo

The GT500 will be a Bi-Turbo V8 with 800hp. It is possible that they are a PAIR (not identical) or Twin Scroll Turbos BUT, it is on a Sequential Turbo System or Bi-Turbo.

It IS NOT a traditional Twin Turbo like the 2013 Cobra Jet. It is very hot...

Not back peddling, just showing you what is correct and what is not...

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The GT500, FP Raptor, F150 Lightning and maybe Bronco will all make use of the Ecoboost V8. With the Truck/SUV market trend booming, a need to a turbo V8 increased for High End Models. So... that is why an Ecoboost V8 is headed for the Mustang/Raptor first. They are available for 2017.5.

The Lightning and Bronco will debut during this SUV trend.
Sponsored