Sponsored

2017-'18 GT500 & GT500KR

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Just worry about the LT4 equipped zl1, that is a tremendous heat issue. The GT500 will expand on the GT350's race bred fascia and run just as cool as the FGT.
I didn't know there was any feedback on the FGTs cooling..:confused:

Front fascia has nothing to do with hot exhaust pipes near brake boosters and rubber lines (Hellion kit).

I'm not sure if Ford would ditch the 5.0/5.2 architecture all together to make a turbo inside the V fit the heads or packaging for the exhaust to go from inside the V to under the car (not much room behind the current V8 to fit an exhaust).

That's not a true twin though... it is a Twin-Scrolling or Bi-Turbo... which is what it will probably be. Hopefully with working Ram-Air like above.
:confused:

That most certainly is a twin turbo (2 turbo) setup, just like BMW & Mercedes does with inside the V mounted turbos.

Twin Turbo = Bi-Turbo.
Twin Scroll is the type of turbine housing that has two separate entrances that fees off of the alternating exhaust pulses to improve spool.

The Ecoboost Mustang & Focus RS uses a single twinscroll turbo. You can have a twin/Bi-Turbo setup that uses 2 twinscroll turbos like Merc & BMW.
Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I didn't know there was any feedback on the FGTs cooling..:confused:

Front fascia has nothing to do with hot exhaust pipes near brake boosters and rubber lines (Hellion kit).

I'm not sure if Ford would ditch the 5.0/5.2 architecture all together to make a turbo inside the V fit the heads or packaging for the exhaust to go from inside the V to under the car (not much room behind the current V8 to fit an exhaust).

:confused:

That most certainly is a twin turbo (2 turbo) setup, just like BMW & Mercedes does with inside the V mounted turbos.

Twin Turbo = Bi-Turbo.
Twin Scroll is the type of turbine housing that has two separate entrances that fees off of the alternating exhaust pulses to improve spool.

The Ecoboost Mustang & Focus RS uses a single twinscroll turbo. You can have a twin/Bi-Turbo setup that uses 2 twinscroll turbos like Merc & BMW.
Uh Oh... someone is confused again.

You originally told me additional cooling on an LT4/camaro wasn't needed. Now here we are having a discussing about how hot things are.

A Twin Turbo is two independent turbos feeding each bank. A Bi-Turbo and Twin Scroll are all on the same system... to prevent turbo lag.

The Audi above is a Twin Scroll, not a true twin.

As I said before, the LT4 has MAJOR cooling issues. It deserves more attention in the heat department.

Also, part of the motivation of a mid-engine is to get access to cool, clean and unimpeded airflow. This intake is located away from the ambient road temps. Also, lots of info is gained being competitive in IMSA. Cooling IS an endurance endeavor.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Trust me, the GT500 won't be Mickey Moused together like the zl1 and z06.

The GT500 will be an underdog in a C7 ZR1 comparison. Rumors suggest the ZR1 is a TT V8, probably around 3600-3700lbs. The GT500 could be very, very close to it. 300lbs heavier, the advantage of a DOHC, nearly identical geometry...

YES, the Mustang and Corvette nearly share geometry. Rigidity goes to the C7 but I'm betting the GT500 will be lightened and improved.

The most exciting part is the Camaro... not fitting in here...

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
For reference, a Twin Turbo is a seperate turbo and plumbing for each cylinder bank.

A Bi-Turbo or Twin Scroll is TWO (02) turbos in a line. As in a little turbo drives a larger turbo which drives the engine yeah?

Technically, an Inline engine would be limited to a Bit or Twin Scroll (new Focus RS 2.3 uses a TS). However, I guess you could have two identical systems driving the same cylinder bank, as long as they are independent.

So no... a Twin Turbo is all by itself. A Bi-Turbo/Twin Scroll are two different turbos, set up in a chain, where one spools the other to eliminate lag.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The 2013 Cobra Jet is an honest, side by side, Twin system.

The Bi-Turbo is what BMW uses. It has two turbos but typically they are not "Twin". These provide staged boost and are set up on the same system.

The Twin Scroll is on the Focus.

The heat generating Turbo you are talking about is a TRUE TWIN like the Cobra Jet.

Chances are, the GT500 will be a Bi-Turbo. Could it use a single turbo twin scroll? Yeah, it could also be a Bi-Turbo.

I seriously doubt it will be a true Twin Turbo like the 2013 Cobra Jet. One exist but I doubt it will be a TT V8. More like a Bi-Turbo V8 and Twin Scroll tech could be used on the lead turbo.

HCT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
I guess the Twin Turbo V8 is leaning towards confirmed. We also confirmed a 2017.5 release
Today I learned that when you repeat rumors with absolutely no foundation in fact enough, the become "confirmed" lol. Honestly, people, what exactly is confirmed? Ford hasn't even admitted that there will be a new GT500 even though it's widely expected, have they? There's not even any credible spy shots yet.

So here's what we know for sure:

That there will be a GT500 at all: nope.
It's going to be available in 2017 as an '18 model: nope
It'll have AWD: nope
It'll have a supercharged V8, or a twin turbo V8, or the motor from the GT: nope
It'll have 800hp: nope
It'll break into the 10s in the quarter: nope.

Gee, this is fun! :headbonk::headbonk::headbonk:

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I didn't know there was any feedback on the FGTs cooling.

IMSA? Cooling was outstanding with the exception of some mishaps. All of Fords systems for the FGT are tested in IMSA. A race car is race bred, a camaro is sedan based. Yes, there is plenty of feedback with the cooling systems for both the turbo system and the coyote/voodoo.

The Front fascia has EVERYTHING to do with cooling a heat exchanger for a turbo. The camaro has very little cool air available to cool the heat exchangers for any system. The GT500 will continue to expand the GT350's grill area.

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
C&D confirmed as well:

Voodoo Twin Turbo (Bi-Turbo/Sequential Turbo) V8.

MSRP will be "North of $65k"

I'm hoping $66,995 is the ceiling and I'm thinking it is. The range is $64,995-$66,995 and that's not the KR.

Check C&D.... Like I said, I'm trying to get the media reports to YOU before the media releases them. You can take them with a grain of salt if you want...

808hp, under 4000lbs...

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Twin Turbos would make sense with heat soak issues or at least one of them.
The Turbos can and do act as mini cats. This could allow for a more free flowing and cooler operating converter.
This is one issue that has kept boost and thus HP down.
I still have not heard about any tooling that allows for larger bore spacing. If the 5.2 is not used? Then I suspect that a tall deck version of this block being used. We could see a Voodoo version of the 5.8 with Twin Turbos......maybe, just maybe?

Sponsored

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
Today I learned that when you repeat rumors with absolutely no foundation in fact enough, the become "confirmed" lol. Honestly, people, what exactly is confirmed? Ford hasn't even admitted that there will be a new GT500 even though it's widely expected, have they? There's not even any credible spy shots yet.

It'll have a supercharged V8, or a twin turbo V8, or the motor from the GT: nope

I doesn't take long does it? LOL....just put him on your ignore list dude, the forum becomes WORLDS better w/o BS clouding every thread.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Raptor had a 2017.5 which means it is a Tooling Trial for a 2017.5 model year vehicle. Now, the GT500 doesn't have one BUT, it could be similar.

A Twin Turbo Coyote is coming so, brace yourself.
What you've posted has no structure or logic to it. I can't get any sort of meaningful information out of this statement, other than you apparently believe yourself.

"Raptor had a 2017.5 which means it is a Tooling Trial..." - did we forget a key part of the sentence, and perhaps some punctuation? As it stands, that is pretty meaningless. Though I will say that Raptor is 2017, not 2017.5 from everything I've seen. They'll be building them this fall.

"Now, the GT500 doesn't have one BUT, it could be similar" Again, something is apparently missing here, because it isn't clear what you're saying. The GT500 doesn't have what? It could be similar to what?

None of this addressed my comments that you quoted. Either you're drunk posting or you're spewing nonsense hoping to deflect from the point I made. I'm sorry Pill, but you aren't helping your credibility here. :headbonk:

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
What you've posted has no structure or logic to it. I can't get any sort of meaningful information out of this statement, other than you apparently believe yourself.

"Raptor had a 2017.5 which means it is a Tooling Trial..." - did we forget a key part of the sentence, and perhaps some punctuation? As it stands, that is pretty meaningless. Though I will say that Raptor is 2017, not 2017.5 from everything I've seen. They'll be building them this fall.

"Now, the GT500 doesn't have one BUT, it could be similar" Again, something is apparently missing here, because it isn't clear what you're saying. The GT500 doesn't have what? It could be similar to what?

None of this addressed my comments that you quoted. Either you're drunk posting or you're spewing nonsense hoping to deflect from the point I made. I'm sorry Pill, but you aren't helping your credibility here. :headbonk:
This is why this GT500 is THE LAST 500 thePill chases.

Do you see a sticker in the Raptor window?

It says TT 2017.5

It means (Tooling Trial) for Model Year 2017.5.

Call it nonsense now... and it becomes fact later on. I really could care less about credibility, I just want to get close to facts.

All you need to know...

GT500
2017.5-2018
800hp
4000lbs
$66,995

Can you understand that?

69Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach 1
No, that's simply wrong. Production has stopped as it always does, in order to switch over to the new model year. They're not still looking for a fix to Z06 cooling, they've already announced changes, including using the hood element that they're already using on the ZL1.

Engineers have to design these types of changes months ahead of time so they can go through a full QA cycle, then have time for suppliers to tool up, etc.
Production of the ZO6 has in-fact ceased. When it resumes in September it will incorporate a new SC design for better cooling, additional engine cooling and a revised hood for better cooling. See here for quotes from Tadge Juechter: http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2016...ature-new-supercharger-design-better-cooling/

BTW, a 5% defect rate due to cooling issues for the ZO6 is significant and points to poor QA - durability test & validation - for an alleged track-ready vehicle.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

You mean like the rumors of the midengine corvette, or DOHC z28? Cars like that?
Guess you haven't seen this then. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60993
Sponsored