Sponsored

2016 fastback power windows loose memory?

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Way more vehicles than my wife is happy about
Its probably worded wrong but im refering to the function that rolls the window back up that last little bit when you close the doors and also for the auto up feature. Battery has not been dead or changed lately. New customer build, new battery. Third time in the last couple weeks I had to relearn them. Google didnt get me far.
Thanks
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sounds like water or moisture getting into the connectors behind door panel. This is a common issue with the early S550’s and there’s a few threads on here about it.

Pull the door panel and then go to each connector, pull it part and check for any moisture or corrosion. Use a compressor to blow out the connectors and then use proper electrical water repellant product like die electric grease by coating the male connector pins before snapping the connector back together. That should stop any future issues.

If the problem comes back - then I would check BCM that is in that circuit and then check for any loose grounds.

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I can verify that it is not water. The entire car was stripped down to the bare tub 3 years ago, everything had been stored inside and it has not seen rain or garden hose since then even after being assembled. The car only had $7,800 mi on it when it came in, and I've had my eyes on literally every single connector in that car and thankfully there was no signs of corrosion or water damage or any other modifications or vandalism. I'll check into the grounds and make sure I didn't Miss one.

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
No luck on the grounds. Thought maybe low voltage when cranking was clearing the settings so I intentionally ran the battery down to about 11.8 yesterday and started it a couple times and they still have the settings learned. Im running out of ideas.

17gt07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
87 Grand Marquis, 02 gt, 07 gt, 17 gt
Was the car jumped at one time? I had a similar issue after my car was jump started.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
We've had to charge the battery several times over the last year since it was assembled but no actual jumper cables. The driver's door window module was replaced a little over a month ago, the passenger side is the 2016 7,800 mile original. I've had the entire harness out and have seen every inch of it and it looks great. Just not familiar with the newer Fords and system issues.

20240522_072415.jpg

20210224_190722.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There is a door sensor that sometimes goes bad. I'd check it.

Most common is water which shorts out the control board in the motor, this sometimes takes some time to show up. I mean it could have had water before it was parked and the problem is just now showing up. Change the motor to fix this.

Second most common trouble is the door sensor.

GL

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I have a 2016 but have never had this issue and haven't really looked very closely so I don't really know anything but a few things came to mind if it helps...

Any chance the car isn't registering that the door closed and is just "waiting" for it to close before actuating the window?

If it is showing up by the actual settings being lost and all the wiring being sound, I'd suspect the module itself. Perhaps electro-static shock fried one of its internal chips? Is that the module you replaced a month ago? Chances of it being defective out of the box? I wouldnt imagine that a compiter module designed for use in a car would lose its programming when power is lost. They would have to expect that It will be unplugged or the battery removed several times during its lifetime. If it is resetting, something is probably "pushing it's reset button" or it is defective...

I have the 2016 service manual but I don't have access to Oasis. I could take a look if you want.

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Which door sensor are you refering to?

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2016 but have never had this issue and haven't really looked very closely so I don't really know anything but a few things came to mind if it helps...

Any chance the car isn't registering that the door closed and is just "waiting" for it to close before actuating the window?

If it is showing up by the actual settings being lost and all the wiring being sound, I'd suspect the module itself. Perhaps electro-static shock fried one of its internal chips? Is that the module you replaced a month ago? Chances of it being defective out of the box? I wouldnt imagine that a compiter module designed for use in a car would lose its programming when power is lost. They would have to expect that It will be unplugged or the battery removed several times during its lifetime. If it is resetting, something is probably "pushing it's reset button" or it is defective...

I have the 2016 service manual but I don't have access to Oasis. I could take a look if you want.
Passenger door latch is new, drivers door latch seems to be working fine. Ive never noticed any issues with it registering as open when on the second latch.
It has happened randomly on both sides. Drivers side got a new Ford motor and module.

Is the memory function stored in the circuit board in the window motor or the master window switch? They still go up and down fine, just randomly forget where the up position is.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Which door sensor are you refering to?
There is one by the handle that tells the BCM if the door is closed. I think it is the PIA plug attached to the top of the door panel.

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
The only thing in the area you are describing that i can think of is the touch pad on the back of the handle. Thankfully it works fine without it installed but i thought it was only to activate the passive locks.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I believe it is motorcraft sw-5855.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
We've had to charge the battery several times over the last year since it was assembled but no actual jumper cables. The driver's door window module was replaced a little over a month ago, the passenger side is the 2016 7,800 mile original. I've had the entire harness out and have seen every inch of it and it looks great. Just not familiar with the newer Fords and system issues.

20240522_072415.jpg

20210224_190722.jpg
Now that is an interesting build….a 67 merged with an S550, or the other way around? Can you post more about it?

OP
OP

Cautrell05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Now that is an interesting build….a 67 merged with an S550, or the other way around? Can you post more about it?
3 year customer build. Brought us a slightly wrecked 16 gt350. He wanted a 67 with the 16 powertrain and interior. Swapping that into an older chassis was not practical so we put the 67 body on the 16 chassis. Widened the body 4 inches and took 2 inches out of the front fenders so the wheelbase lines up with the fenders. Finished pulling the body off and cut the sides down to the pinch weld then built it back up with new panels. The only features from the 2016 that don't work now are the power mirrors and rear defroster.
There's s post in one of the body swap groups on Facebook. I'd link it but I'm not sure if that's against the rules.

20240409_093902.jpg

20220823_140624.jpg

20201201_155109.jpg

20230322_173733.jpg
Sponsored