Sponsored

2015 Mustang vs simarly equipped and purposed Camaros.

BobDigi5060

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
I'm also waiting on Camaro6, rather than jump the gun I will weigh the many options (15' Camaro/Challenger/Mustang ) available next year and see what's best for me. As of now I think I would prefer the Ecoboost to the GT.
Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I just ticked over 100 miles on my new GT PP after trading in my '14 GT500, took it for a nice cruise down along the beach through Ft. Walton Beach and Destin. Good mix of city and highway driving. Aside from torque and power, which the Shelby had in spades, this car beats the GT500 like a rented mule. Nicer interior, better handling, better ride quality, better FEEL when driving.

JMO, but everyone arguing about magazine stats without ever having driven the new car need to stop arguing and and schedule a test drive ASAP.

Then you're missing out. The new car drives and handles like a dream. It's a night and day difference between the new car and the previous model.
Im just waiting to see what Chevy does in a few months...Im not really in a hurry ;)

mustangletback

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 droptop mustang
I just ticked over 100 miles on my new GT PP after trading in my '14 GT500, took it for a nice cruise down along the beach through Ft. Walton Beach and Destin. Good mix of city and highway driving. Aside from torque and power, which the Shelby had in spades, this car beats the GT500 like a rented mule. Nicer interior, better handling, better ride quality, better FEEL when driving.

JMO, but everyone arguing about magazine stats without ever having driven the new car need to stop arguing and and schedule a test drive ASAP.

Then you're missing out. The new car drives and handles like a dream. It's a night and day difference between the new car and the previous model.
i have to say i drove a black mustang gt and it was a blast!!that car got up to 160 really quick.having driven alot of cars,i can say the camaro dont have shit on the new mustang.i could care less about what that gm guy randy says.he does whatever he can to let the camaro win in his test.:lol:

Lekker Lekker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas
If you compare GT vs SS, no doubt the Mustang would be the clear winner.

But you really can't deny that straight from the factory the 1LE is better than the PP in terms of "performance" packs

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Then why start this thread?:shrug:
Because I would enjoy having an adult conversation about comparing similarly priced, equipped, and purposed cars. There is already a thread for people who want to wonder in endless circles comparing a street car vs. a track car or a car that is not here yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the difference in price alone you could have baddest tire rim combination for track use. And tires mean everything in racing/track driving. Why does almost every race series use spec tires? Because tires make the cars more evenly matched than any other single variable yes even more than engine power. Tires can easily account for the difference in lap times.
Yes. ^ This just needs to be put in the first post and as a disclaimer in the video. Then this whole thread (GT PP vs 1LE) can finally shut down.

We can summarize this entire discussion which just keeps running in circles:

1) tire size and compounds are not comparable; the 1LE has a clear advantage here

2) the PP is a comprehensive package that's awesome for street use and is a great starting platform for track use

3) the price difference between two comparable trim level cars specced with their performance/track package will always leave a few thousand spare dollars in the Mustang owner's wallet

4) the areas where the GT PP falls short are some of the most easily remedied when it comes to aftermarket modification

5) the S550's interior is in an entirely different league compared to the SS's, and that's not something that can be easily modified by the owners...
These two quotes from the wandering-in-endless-circles GTPP vs 1LE thread summarizes the waste of time that it is very nicely.

Street Refined vs. Track Ringer? Don't waste your time.

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I've already posted this elsewhere, I believe it's pertinent to this thread:

On their 2011 Mustang GT, with no other modifications, StangTV decreased their lap times significantly -- 2.25 seconds -- by upgrading their stock 235-section Pirelli tires to 275-section Nittos all the way around.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories...ing-thoroughly-testing-frpps-s197-suspension/

The 1LE features 285's all the way around; up front, that's a total of 60mm (almost 2.5") extra contact patch, tire on pavement, when compared to the GT PP's 255's. Out back, the difference, while not as significant as the delta up front, is 20mm total (almost an inch).
I was really impressed with the additional 4.53 sec gain that was realized from stiffening up the suspension, while still leaving it "comfortable and capable" for street use. This is without a doubt what is required on the 2015 GT to make it a successful track first but streetable car like it's competition, and the parts are all available right off the Ford shelf.

It seems likely that Ford wants to leave a significant gap between the GT PP and the GT350, but if the base GT350 is a 5.2 Voodoo FPC, that will be an awfully generous gap left for the aftermarket to fill.

I would love to ask Dave Pericak about the current PP strategy if I ever had that opportunity.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
So don't compare the best of what each has to offer in a certain price range?
I'm not saying you can't compare and he's probably saying the same. If the target audience is different for each car, then comparing them based off pure track capabilities might be jumping the gun.

while I understand how some of you feel new car should beat old car( despite the Camaro losing to the s197 when it first released) I think its best to first consider who they were aiming for with their performance packages .. Then consider the tradeoffs of each.. No matter how you cut it in this regard the 1le is more capable, but GTPP is more comfortable. Now comes the question. Is an extra 2,000+ worth it? Depends on the driver and his needs.

In the end the best thing they should have done was considered a base model vs base model (Ss vs gt) because the target audience are the same

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So don't compare the best of what each has to offer in a certain price range?
So by that logic, why not compare a fully loaded GT vert against a Z28 if they were in a couple grand of each other?

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I would like to see a fully loaded gt up against the 2ss, but since they haven't,the pp and 1le is about as close as it gets. Both are not available in convertibles and both are only for manuals. Yes chevy offers a better package, but is that chevys fault?

shelby367

being me since 1964
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium, PP (received)
I am a life long Mustang fan so I am buying a Mustang, I'm not knocking the Camaro, I'm a Mustang guy. This is just personal observation from spending a fair amount of time at a road course(High Plains raceway, Byers CO), but I almost never see newer Camaros at the track, a lot of newer Mustangs and Corvettes, even Vipers but rarely Camaros. I would say the only place I ever see Boss 302's and Z06's is at the track. glad to see owners are using them for there intended purpose.
Does anyone else notice the same?
Mike

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
My guess it's the weight and size of the camaro. Easier to get weight off pre s550 mustangs.

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette