2015 Mustang Backup Camera not functioning

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium Mustang Ecoboost
Hi guys, so the other day I popped the black panel holding the mustang emblem and backup camera off to do some cleaning under it. It was kinda difficult getting it back on, and I had to use some force, but not to the point to where it would break something. But I got it back on and found out that the backup camera isn't working. It says "camera unavailable, contact dealer". Its out of warranty and I would never trust my local dealer to do the job right. I have unwrapped almost the entire harness and have found NO broken wires. I also bought a new backup camera off ebay. Still, nothing is working. This is super frustrating. Any ideas?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Where did you check the harness and how did you check for broken wiring?
If I recall, the harness had an issue around the trunk hinge.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hi guys, so the other day I popped the black panel holding the mustang emblem and backup camera off to do some cleaning under it. It was kinda difficult getting it back on, and I had to use some force, but not to the point to where it would break something. But I got it back on and found out that the backup camera isn't working. It says "camera unavailable, contact dealer". Its out of warranty and I would never trust my local dealer to do the job right. I have unwrapped almost the entire harness and have found NO broken wires. I also bought a new backup camera off ebay. Still, nothing is working. This is super frustrating. Any ideas?
Fuse #66?

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
Where did you check the harness and how did you check for broken wiring?
If I recall, the harness had an issue around the trunk hinge.
I opened it up from the camera connector, all the way down to the speaker in the roof of the trunk. Except for little bits here and there. I gave the wires little tugs to make sure they didn’t come out. And I didn’t see any other damage

Sponsored

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
And it’s only the camera that doesn’t work. The light in the trunk as well as the trunk release work perfectly fine

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
Darn.....could the ebay camera be defective?

Have you checked for current to the connector?
That’s what I was thinking could be a possibility, it didn’t come packaged very well. Do you know by chance which wires I would test? All of them other than black?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That’s what I was thinking could be a possibility, it didn’t come packaged very well. Do you know by chance which wires I would test? All of them other than black?
No sorry I do not. Another idea. Try doing a sync master reset. You never know.

Sponsored

Elvis67

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19gt ..19 ss 72 chevelle
Make sure you check your wiring harness ..with the plastic tree fitting that goes in the trunk lid ..it broke my back up camera connection on my 2015 ..it was a small break in the wire ..easy fix if thats the issue..good luck

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The zip-tie attached to the trunk 'roof' is ultra tight on my harness. I'm thinking of breaking it, and putting a new one less tight. Need to see if the plastic bracket has the zip-tie integrated on it (hopefully not), or just a slot, so I can cut it, and just slide a new one. Will check shortly.

Elvis67

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19gt ..19 ss 72 chevelle
The zip-tie attached to the trunk 'roof' is ultra tight on my harness. I'm thinking of breaking it, and putting a new one less tight. Need to see if the plastic bracket has the zip-tie integrated on it (hopefully not), or just a slot, so I can cut it, and just slide a new one. Will check shortly.
Yeah I had to pull back quit a bit of the insulation to find the broken wires ..also the wires to my truck unlock we damaged as well ..be a good time check them out as well..that trunk zip tie was just way to tight and I used my trunk everyday .

OP
OP

calebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
It’s been a while, sorry. But I have since gone even further into the wiring harness and still, I haven’t found any break. I ordered two more cameras, none of which worked. I called the Ford dealership, they said they need to “pair their own camera to the car”. Just a lousy way of them making more money I guess. I asked the technician what he thought the total price could be to fix it. He said any where between $500-$700, that’s just insanity for a backup camera. I value my camera a LOT, but not that much. I don’t know what else to do at this point.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
It’s been a while, sorry. But I have since gone even further into the wiring harness and still, I haven’t found any break. I ordered two more cameras, none of which worked. I called the Ford dealership, they said they need to “pair their own camera to the car”. Just a lousy way of them making more money I guess. I asked the technician what he thought the total price could be to fix it. He said any where between $500-$700, that’s just insanity for a backup camera. I value my camera a LOT, but not that much. I don’t know what else to do at this point.
How far did you go into the wiring harness? You need to check almost directly where the harness reaches the trunk lip. Open up the whole harness and look for wiring breaks. This is almost ALWAYS the issue with the camera, and it's very, very common. I put longer wires in place so it doesn't happen again.

JR
Sponsored