Sponsored

'16 Camaro Reviews are starting to hit the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
The Coyote is already very well developed. I don't think you'll see a gain of 100 HP like you did in 2010-2011. The Voodoo is way to inefficient to be a mainstream engine, so I doubt that will be making its way to the regular GT.

You might see direct injection added, which could allow an increase in compression ratio and would therefore increase fuel efficiency and HP. GM gained ~30 HP going from the LS3 to the LT1, and a nice increase in torque. Ford might be able to gain something similar.

Or they could offer a Turbo V6, but that seems unlikely to me, at least at this point. The only way they offer that is if they can't make a V8 to compete with the LT1, and I don't see Ford ditching the V8 in the Mustang quite yet (although maybe).

I think the most likely improvements to come are some engine improvements that add MAYBE 30 HP, as well as a more aggressive track pack for the suspension, and maybe offering the magnetic dampers and other GT350 bits to improve handling. Would be interesting if Ford made something similar to the old 1LE, which took several components from the ZL1 and made them available on the SS. I think it was things like the beefier wheel hubs, some suspension pieces, cooling, and maybe brakes. I could also see something like the radiator surround being used on the standard car, maybe a new composite oil pan, maybe some other weight reduction pieces that have development costs but which don't add much to the part cost.

-T
I see the 3.5 TT coming soon.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
To be honest, my 6th gen mustang doesn't even compare to the 2006 Camaro ZL1 I had. The interior was miles better and the weight + performance had no match. Just today I destroyed a whippled 5.bro. Camaro > Mustang
:lol:

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The Coyote is already very well developed. I don't think you'll see a gain of 100 HP like you did in 2010-2011. The Voodoo is way to inefficient to be a mainstream engine, so I doubt that will be making its way to the regular GT.

You might see direct injection added, which could allow an increase in compression ratio and would therefore increase fuel efficiency and HP. GM gained ~30 HP going from the LS3 to the LT1, and a nice increase in torque. Ford might be able to gain something similar.

Or they could offer a Turbo V6, but that seems unlikely to me, at least at this point. The only way they offer that is if they can't make a V8 to compete with the LT1, and I don't see Ford ditching the V8 in the Mustang quite yet (although maybe).

I think the most likely improvements to come are some engine improvements that add MAYBE 30 HP, as well as a more aggressive track pack for the suspension, and maybe offering the magnetic dampers and other GT350 bits to improve handling. Would be interesting if Ford made something similar to the old 1LE, which took several components from the ZL1 and made them available on the SS. I think it was things like the beefier wheel hubs, some suspension pieces, cooling, and maybe brakes. I could also see something like the radiator surround being used on the standard car, maybe a new composite oil pan, maybe some other weight reduction pieces that have development costs but which don't add much to the part cost.

-T
You are missing the main improvement here, weight reduction! If they use more aluminum and other light weight materials, imagine a mid 3500 lb stang with 460-465 hp!

It is possible, mustang use to be the lightest and now its camaro. If mustang actually looses 200 lbs, it won't even need a major power bump. Weight reduction and power bump would be a bonus.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Still enough to make me regret ordering when I did ;) Unless of course there's a concurrent price hike that prices the Mustang out of my reach. Who knows what will make it to Europe anyway...

Very true. At some point you just have to plop your money down and invest, I guess. It would have just been nice to 'sit on your laurels' for a year or two at least ;) Not be immediately overtaken.
One solution is to buy cars that are a couple years old and then swap every couple years. You will save a ton of money, still get to experience the fun cars, and have less buyer's regret.

To be honest, my 6th gen mustang doesn't even compare to the 2006 Camaro ZL1 I had. The interior was miles better and the weight + performance had no match. Just today I destroyed a whippled 5.bro. Camaro > Mustang
Can you post the specs of your 2006 ZL1? I'm not familiar with that car. :D I googled it but there really doesn't seem to be much info online.

Sponsored

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I prefer the 2007 IROC-Z. The iroc sticers are sweeeet. It ran 10s all day stock!

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
One solution is to buy cars that are a couple years old and then swap every couple years. You will save a ton of money, still get to experience the fun cars, and have less buyer's regret.

Can you post the specs of your 2006 ZL1? I'm not familiar with that car. :D I googled it but there really doesn't seem to be much info online.
He is probably a pretty young kid and lied about his car no biggy, lets just leave it at that.

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
You are missing the main improvement here, weight reduction! If they use more aluminum and other light weight materials, imagine a mid 3500 lb stang with 460-465 hp!

It is possible, mustang use to be the lightest and now its camaro. If mustang actually looses 200 lbs, it won't even need a major power bump. Weight reduction and power bump would be a bonus.
465 hp and a 3500 lb stang would be unreal. My question is when would they unveil the changes and how long do the plan to make the GT350? a 465hp GT in the 30-40K range would be right on the GT350s tail. I would think GT350 would have to get some improvements to differentiate itself some more from the GT. Wouldn't make sense to me to have them so close together in performance with a 15K price gap.

S922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
While true that there is ALWAYS something faster, I think the muscle car war has taken us well beyond the majority of driver's skills, and certainly beyond legal limits. New Camaro is faster than an S550... oh well. They're both extremely fast. Which one feels more fun to drive? Which is an easier DD? Which is more affordable? Which actually looks good? These are the only things I'd care about anymore. Performance of both cars has far surpassed what you can actually do on the streets.

Sponsored

JonEcoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2011,13 Mustang GTs
465 hp and a 3500 lb stang would be unreal. My question is when would they unveil the changes and how long do the plan to make the GT350? a 465hp GT in the 30-40K range would be right on the GT350s tail. I would think GT350 would have to get some improvements to differentiate itself some more from the GT. Wouldn't make sense to me to have them so close together in performance with a 15K price gap.
A 450hp 3500# car is what a lot of us were expecting when the s550 came out, not 15hp in a car that GAINED weight. Shouldn't be too hard for them to drop 100-200# using more aluminum in the next couple years

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Simple solution, if they keep the gt350, the gt350 will also loose weight and they can find a way to bump the torque on the 5.2 fpc. You would still have the same performance gap but both segment going further and better. Fast becomes faster and good becomes better.

DiMaio90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Simple solution, if they keep the gt350, the gt350 will also loose weight and they can find a way to bump the torque on the 5.2 fpc. You would still have the same performance gap but both segment going further and better. Fast becomes faster and good becomes better.
That's what I'm getting at. If the GT is going to get faster and lighter, the GT350 will need to as well. I can see GT350 weigh savings measures trickling down to the GT. I just wonder what was left on the table for the GT350 in terms of weight savings.

Cashcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMG GT S, S550, Camaro
Just saw this review over on Camaro6. Looks like the v6 is an overall great package.

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
The mustang will get a boost in HP, but to think it's going to get more than 500 anytime soon is crazy. I'm not counting on next years to have much change, but the following year I definitely see some weight reduction and HP gain. It will be comparable to the Camaro though. 450-460 would be my best bet...it's going to really come down to how well the Camaro sells this year and what the decline in sells will be this year for the mustang in it's second year.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.