Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I have amazing news.

I take back most of the bad things I have said about the 10R80 over the last year and a half of owning this car.

I just had the Ecoboost FP tune installed and it has completely transformed the behavior of the transmission. No more wonky hunting for shifts and no more harsh downshift (when coming to a stop the 3-1 shift felt like I was getting kicked in the back!) I have only had it on for 24 hours and its already more predictable and smooth than the stock tune. Which begs the question, why is the stock transmission tune so bad? Its a night and day difference.

I am very happy now.

My smooth downshifts are starting to feel unsmooth and jerky again :(

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
For those that have gone to aftermarket tuners, what is the best tune for smooth shifts both up and down?

It seems the Camaro which has the same transmission has far less complaints.

I wish we could lock out gears like the F150, I hate lugging around in 10th gear at 40 mph.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes. I took delivery of my 2018 new in Feb 2018, as of last night it’s just ticked over 35.5k.
Hello. I have been away from the forum for a while but just read through this entire thread again. Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

I have a 2019 GT PP1 and am taking it into the dealer this spring to look at the trans for harsh shifting, mainly in sport mode. I have several TSBs printed out (21-2315, 22-2139, and 21-2357). It looks like 22-2139 is the most recent TSB as it has a date of 21 April 2022 on it. Is this the only TSB that I should be concerned with when I go to the dealership? Is there a newer TSB? I read through everything but this looked to be the newest TSB.

Also - I have been thinking about the difficulty of checking the trans fluid. Would it be easier to just drain the trans fluid and fill it with the correct amount of fluid at cold temp, rather than trying to get it up to temp to check it hot? Maybe this won't work but just a thought.

Also - when I was around the forum more, I thought I remember someone saying that you can quickly get the trans to the proper temperature to check the fluid by putting the car in drive, applying the brakes and revving the engine for a few minutes. I have not seen this method mentioned at all on this thread so maybe it's been determined to be a bad idea?

I am hoping to get my issues sorted out this spring. Thanks for the help!

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
My smooth downshifts are starting to feel unsmooth and jerky again :(
Hmm, what changed?
Hello. I have been away from the forum for a while but just read through this entire thread again. Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

I have a 2019 GT PP1 and am taking it into the dealer this spring to look at the trans for harsh shifting, mainly in sport mode. I have several TSBs printed out (21-2315, 22-2139, and 21-2357). It looks like 22-2139 is the most recent TSB as it has a date of 21 April 2022 on it. Is this the only TSB that I should be concerned with when I go to the dealership? Is there a newer TSB? I read through everything but this looked to be the newest TSB.

Also - I have been thinking about the difficulty of checking the trans fluid. Would it be easier to just drain the trans fluid and fill it with the correct amount of fluid at cold temp, rather than trying to get it up to temp to check it hot? Maybe this won't work but just a thought.

Also - when I was around the forum more, I thought I remember someone saying that you can quickly get the trans to the proper temperature to check the fluid by putting the car in drive, applying the brakes and revving the engine for a few minutes. I have not seen this method mentioned at all on this thread so maybe it's been determined to be a bad idea?

The only part I can help you out with is the transmission takes a long time to get up to operating temperature. You have to drive it. You cannot get it to operating temperature by revving the engine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

TSB 22-2339 released in Sept. 2022 is the most recent for S550 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...cent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/page-6#post-3710538

However that TSB seems to pertain to functional issues after a valve body R&R, so for your purposes you will want the TSB that is before that one. The TSB can be found in that link above, just view a few posts up.
---

Auto trans fluid should NOT to be checked COLD ever and is not to be "topped off" when cold. A 10R80 owner must follow the fluid check/fill procedures M6G members outlined here, which is pulled from Post 1, Page 1:
FACT 4 (LOW FLUID & DIPSTICK info):
M6G Members with 10R80’s have found that their 10R80 was low on fluid from the factory. If you suspect your shifting issues may be due to low fluid level, have your Ford Service Center check the fluid (or you can DIY at home with car safely jacked up or on a lift). Here’s 2 low trans fluid threads:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-low-on-transmission-fluid.132066/#post-2733064

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a10-owners-check-your-oil-level.116410/

2 threads on checking 10R80 fluid levels:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-fluid-check.137537/#post-2827033

This thread discusses the (2) very different 10R80 dipsticks - thanks to @leonrudi and @speedup for their findings!):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a10-fill-plug-impossible-to-remove-help-plz.141548/

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
TSB 22-2339 released in Sept. 2022 is the most recent for S550 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/page-6#post-3710538

However that TSB seems to pertain to functional issues after a valve body R&R, so for your purposes you will want the TSB that is before that one. The TSB can be found in that link above, just view a few posts up.
---

Auto trans fluid should NOT to be checked COLD ever and is not to be "topped off" when cold. A 10R80 owner must follow the fluid check/fill procedures M6G members outlined here, which is pulled from Post 1, Page 1:
FACT 4 (LOW FLUID & DIPSTICK info):
M6G Members with 10R80’s have found that their 10R80 was low on fluid from the factory. If you suspect your shifting issues may be due to low fluid level, have your Ford Service Center check the fluid (or you can DIY at home with car safely jacked up or on a lift). Here’s 2 low trans fluid threads:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-low-on-transmission-fluid.132066/#post-2733064

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a10-owners-check-your-oil-level.116410/

2 threads on checking 10R80 fluid levels:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-fluid-check.137537/#post-2827033

This thread discusses the (2) very different 10R80 dipsticks - thanks to @leonrudi and @speedup for their findings!):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a10-fill-plug-impossible-to-remove-help-plz.141548/

Thank you. From the linked thread you posted, It looks like TSB 22-2139 (21 April 2022) is the TSB prior to 22-2339 so I will bring that one in with me. They checked the fluid last year and reset the learning tables. They told me last year the next step would be to look at the valve body. If they replace the valve body, do they have to drain the fluid out and refill?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So hold on to your bippies folks... check out this SSM # 51236 released Dec. 2022:
307465EF-D62A-4BA6-8EB8-14FB06E24882.jpeg

yep - you read that right... the "buck/jerk" sensation in 8th through 10th gear from S550 10R80 is a completely "normal characteristic"....

LOL... whut??!!?? Someone explain how a jerk/buck from any auto transmission while driving is "normal".

Be prepared, Service Centers may interpret that message as being the "jerk/buck" is "normal" in ANY gear; they'll gloss over the facts in that SSM and try to push off Customers not in the know with the "it's normal" lip service....

--

Also to note, according to this site there's (3) Lawsuits regarding the 10R80 in the F150:
https://knightlawgroup.com/ford-10speed-transmission-problems/

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Update on my 2023 California Special GT Premium.
I now have about 2600 miles on it.
The car no longer gives me the feeling that I was rear-ended when slowing down and coming to a complete stop:) I take off in Normal mode on a cold start and drive for about 10 to 15 minutes before I switch over to Sport Mode+. BTW - If I take off in Sport Mode+ on a cold start, the transmission is jumpy and the shifts are firm and noticeable. However, once it warms up, it runs smooth.

Now for the bad news:( In case you have not seen my other post, I may have a cracked rear driver's side rotor. I'll know more on Monday.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
Hmm, what changed?

The only part I can help you out with is the transmission takes a long time to get up to operating temperature. You have to drive it. You cannot get it to operating temperature by revving the engine.
One thing that worked for me last year when I brought it in for harsh shifts, I had another concern as well that it would make a clunk noise and you could feel it in your foot on the accelerator pedal but the car did not actually lurch or jerk when this happened. I only live 2 miles from the dealer I brought it to and when I took the tech for a ride to show him the clunk noise I just honestly did somewhere around 5-7, 0-60mph runs and the trans was up to temp at that point. After he got it in the shop the trans temp stayed right between 180-200 the whole time so that worked out really well.

Just not sure everyone has a good stretch of road with little traffic like we did though.

Sponsored

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
So hold on to your bippies folks... check out this SSM # 51236 released Dec. 2022:
307465EF-D62A-4BA6-8EB8-14FB06E24882.jpeg

yep - you read that right... the "buck/jerk" sensation in 8th through 10th gear from S550 10R80 is a completely "normal characteristic"....

LOL... whut??!!?? Someone explain how a jerk/buck from any auto transmission while driving is "normal".

Be prepared, Service Centers may interpret that message as being the "jerk/buck" is "normal" in ANY gear; they'll gloss over the facts in that SSM and try to push off Customers not in the know with the "it's normal" lip service....

--

Also to note, according to this site there's (3) Lawsuits regarding the 10R80 in the F150:
https://knightlawgroup.com/ford-10speed-transmission-problems/
I don't understand this at all. How can a software engineer not fix this??
I'm assuming it will happen in normal mode only? Besides, a tune, what's another way around this? How about using the paddle shifters to force it into a lower gear as you accelerate?
Thoughts?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
For those that have gone to aftermarket tuners, what is the best tune for smooth shifts both up and down?

I wish we could lock out gears like the F150, I hate lugging around in 10th gear at 40 mph.
Just a thought on the Camaro tuning of this trans. GM uses a lot of torque management in their vehicles. My Sierra truck seems to cut throttle during shifts. I suspect the TM creates a smoother gear change. My 5th Gen Camaro SS had gobs of TM on it before I had it tuned and then it would snap your neck on shifts.

Ford seems to use very little TM after having driven both cars stock.

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Juggernaut Performance is the shit, awesome support also.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Link to order Richardson cooler mod?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Couple of days ago something very strange happened to me.
Car (engine and transmission) fully in temperature, I put the transmission in Sport Mode and pull the downshift paddle to have her in the lowest gear possible.
She goes into first, the problem is won't get out until i reduce the engine speed, then she goes into second with a big jerk.
Kept her in manual for a few shifts and all of them are extremely rough.

All gear changes both up and down were extremely rough in Sport Mode using the paddles. All of that I tried with very low throttle at intermediate engine speed.

Put the car back in D and everything was fine again.
Engine and transmission strategy are the latest available from Ford.

The transmission always had clear, crisp shifts in Sport Mode and even using the paddles at moderate to full throttle.
What's your experience? Is it normal to shift like you've been rear ended at moderate engine speed, low gears and low load?
Sponsored