Sponsored

A10 fill plug impossible to remove, help plz

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
My A10 shifts harsh, and its whiney. With all the threads about the fluid being low from factory, I picked up a couple quarts of the Mercon ULV ATF and decided to try and check mine.

I see the fill plug, and using a flexhead ratchet, am able to get my 19mm socket on it. The problem is, it is on there so tight it won't budge, I feel like I am going to strip something.

After trying a while, and getting pissed off, I put my handle from the floor jack on it to really get some leverage, and it still would not budge lol.. before I tried harder decided to ask the mustang6 experts

Something is up, is it reverse threaded?

I uploaded a couple pics. The plug is in an awful spot, I only ran the car a couple minutes and the exhaust pipe was super hot. My thinking was to loosen it and then run it to full operating temp, then it would be easier to check... right

a10_plug.jpg
a10_bar.jpg
Sponsored

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I'm like you. I prefer to do as much as I can on my own. But in this instance, I would schedule an appointment with a dealer.

I haven't tried to take it off myself yet. I was under the car yesterday and see where it is. It looks like a bitch to deal with.

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, finally was able to remove the cap. They must have changed the dip stick for the 19 MY because this is mine.

There is no more "A" and "B" - would the full line be around 3 or 4 ?

dipstick.jpg

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a recommended cold level as opposed to an operating temp level? It sure would be a hell of a lot easier to get the reading that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OMG I just checked mine cold and it doesnt even show up on the stick. It was ambient temps (not 205) but still, is that really going to get up to 3 or 4 on the stick?

update - I drove around until it was showing 200 degrees and checked it, mine is at 5.5 now, low

@leonrudi how much fluid did you add to get around 3 and 4?

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OMG I just checked mine and it doesnt even show up on the stick. It was ambient temps (not 205) but still, is that really going to get up to 3 or 4 on the stick?

update - I drove around until it was showing 200 degrees and checked it, mine is at 5.5 now, low

@leonrudi how much fluid did you add to get around 3 and 4?

@speedup

First, thank you for posting a picture of your 10R80 dipstick!! I’m am now wondering if there has been a production change to the actual dipstick being used, because it’s surely different from the prior 2018 Shop Manual images posted.

Second, I have linked your thread into the first page of the “10R80 Facts thread”, as this will definitely help other owners in the future who are trying to check their fluid levels.

Third, yes @leonrudi was the first to confirm that his 10R80 dipstick did not have the “A-B” readings, but the numeric readings as yours. He also confirms that after adding fluid to the 3-4 mark his transmission shifted better.

—-

I’m really surprised (still) that S550 10R80’s are being installed and fluid levels are obviously not being checked prior to the car leaving the assembly line. How can a transmission have almost no fluid in it and being allowed to “pass” QC inspections???

Is it because no one wants to check the dipstick due to its really poor design and location?

Is it a Vendor/Supplier issue where these transmissions are not being filled to capacity prior to being shipped to Ford for installation??

I certainly don’t get it - it would be like sending an S550 off the assembly line with no oil in the engine...

C’mon now Ford... nearly 3 years into the 10R80 being in the S550 and transmissions still leaving the plant with almost no fluid???

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I literally have just stumbled across this document which outlines the 10R80 dipstick info. This document will be very important to those of us with 10R80’s. I recommend to all 10R80 owners to d/l it and save it with your maintenance procedures.

I will also attach it in 10R80 Facts Thread.

Attachments

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I literally have just stumbled across this document which outlines the 10R80 dipstick info. This document will be very important to those of us with 10R80’s. I recommend to all 10R80 owners to d/l it and save it with your maintenance procedures.

Great info! thanks!!

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Attached are trans fluid docs if anyone needs them. I have also attached these in the main “10R80 facts” thread.

Attachments

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust

thats a pretty nice find! and probably very recent also, as it incorporates SSM 48674, which you just posted about, only a month ago.

and just to recap for everyone.. a full 10r80 transmission should read "A" on the "A and B lettered dipstick", and it should read between 4-5 on a "1-6 numbered dipstick".

edit: i just noticed that in the PDF footers it says "june 2020 tech talk"... i knew it, you're from the future! :crackup: :surprised:

Last edited:

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: Ugh... need to get my temps right. Still has to be hot AF to check proper level.

OP
OP
speedup

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edit: Ugh... need to get my temps right. Still has to be hot AF to check proper level.
Yup - still has to be 205 to check it. Be careful when checking, the cat is right there, I was wearing a leather glove with insulation, and when it would touch the cat it started smoking .. lol

leonrudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Auto, 2020 Suzuki Jimny GJ, Simson KR51/2

Thank you so much for the attached file.
Now i'm on the right level, not between 3 and four, as i wrote earlier, just between 4 and 5.
Car runs great.
Thanks again
Cheers
Thomas
Sponsored