Sponsored

10R80 adaptive learning question

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
So I found out recently that you can turn off the 10R80 adaptive learning with the Ford IDS tool. I asked my tuner if this could be done and he said he would make some calls and get back to me. He just did and sent me a revision to try with adaptive learning turned off. Has anyone done this on here and if so, what can I expect. I had the adaptive learning. I just want it to shift consistently no matter the conditions.

transmission_functions_b8f49157b3d6d372b550ae3c2fd6682b2a3f624b.jpg
Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Very interesting! I despise loading new tunes just for the shear fact of the trans having to relearn after each time. My transmission shop did tell me there is a faster way of making it learn but I don’t have time for all that. Interested to see what comes of this.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Following, I would be interested as well. Mine is tuned and I really don't understand why the self learning is left on when we get a custom tune.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting . . .

So who's going to be the first to turn it off and go driving?

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Also following this.

I never understood why a transmission, a precisely engineered piece of equipment had to "learn" and adjust itself constantly overtime.

I know for wear and tear reasons - but come on, that will be over a ridiculously long time

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Also following this.

I never understood why a transmission, a precisely engineered piece of equipment had to "learn" and adjust itself constantly overtime.

I know for wear and tear reasons - but come on, that will be over a ridiculously long time
Agreed, honesty it’s the only thing I don’t like about my car and may be the reason I sell it.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear all of you and agree. I honestly think the adaptive learning does more harm than good. I just got a revision he wants me to try. When I get a chance to load it I will drive it for a while and report back. He was as intrigued as we are.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been looking at C6 Z06’s and ZR1’s myself.
I’m very close to ordering a pretty base M2 for $64k. Ugly but refined and fast.
I saw one at a dealer and it’s pretty bad ass. Also practical with the bigger body.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a chance to load this and drive a little and I have to say that eliminating the adaptive learning has made a very positive difference. Gear engagements are quick and on time and there is not any hunting. It is shifting as it is supposed to. Gonna drive it a few more days and report back. Not sure if the shifting from 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 needs cleaned up where we worked on trying to overcome weird shifting in those gears (which is common with the 10R80), but for now it looks like it might be fine. It would be nice if the adaptive silliness was the issue all along. I will try to report back sometime next week.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I had a chance to load this and drive a little and I have to say that eliminating the adaptive learning has made a very positive difference. Gear engagements are quick and on time and there is not any hunting. It is shifting as it is supposed to. Gonna drive it a few more days and report back. Not sure if the shifting from 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 needs cleaned up where we worked on trying to overcome weird shifting in those gears (which is common with the 10R80), but for now it looks like it might be fine. It would be nice if the adaptive silliness was the issue all along. I will try to report back sometime next week.
Mine has never been an issue, but has definitely annoyed me sometimes. I think the adaptive learning part is honestly too "smart" and tries to do too many things at once. Looking forward to hearing how it continues to go!

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have put about 100 or so miles on it so far and just got a chance to try this with a cold transmission and I do believe the weird slippy/laggy cold shifts on the first run thought the gears is programmed into the adaptive learning and/or the torque management is disabled/lessened when adaptive learning is turned off because with it off the cold first shifts in those gears are very aggressive. More so than most people would like. Would be fine for racing, etc. where this is not a concern.

Warm, all the shifts are aggressive without the adaptive learning and again probably more than most would like, fine by me though.

Not sure if the cold shifts can now be programed to engage differently on that first run-through, but I may work on that. Back to the drawing board, but not giving up.

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I have put about 100 or so miles on it so far and just got a chance to try this with a cold transmission and I do believe the weird slippy/laggy cold shifts on the first run thought the gears is programmed into the adaptive learning and/or the torque management is disabled/lessened when adaptive learning is turned off because with it off the cold first shifts in those gears are very aggressive. More so than most people would like. Would be fine for racing, etc. where this is not a concern.

Warm, all the shifts are aggressive without the adaptive learning and again probably more than most would like, fine by me though.

Not sure if the cold shifts can now be programed to engage differently on that first run-through, but I may work on that. Back to the drawing board, but not giving up.
If you don’t mind me asking are you using a well known tuner or some one local to you?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Not sure if the cold shifts can now be programed to engage differently on that first run-through, but I may work on that.
Sure they can, almost any aspect of this transmission can be programmed and changed. I'm a firm believer that 99% of the complaints about the transmission are tune related as in Ford did a really crappy job tuning it. I say that because other cars with the same or similar transmission (Mach, F150 and to some degree the Camaro) have better shifting. At the same time. I can say that getting an aftermarket tune has also improved the stock GT driving experience.
Sponsored