Sponsored

1->2 shift nibble

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
With my car it never goes away, no matter how long you drive. Almost every 1->2 upshift you'll feel a few bumps through the shifter and then it'll engage. You have to shift really slowly for it to not happen.
My second to third is the same way no matter how warm. Always a slight block then it goes in. Tried different rpms and it didn't matter.

OP
OP

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
My BG unicorn shift II was delivered yesterday. Supposed to rain the next 3 days, should have it installed this weekend.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Mine does it too from 1-2 when it's cold, I chock it up to normal because my previous car did this too (Mazdaspeed3).

TheBMWguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTpp, '98 328is, '90 240sx, '99 SL500
For me its the first shift of the day into 3rd. It's very close to a full on grind. Dealer says all is good, but if it ever goes, I made sure it was documented at my first oil change.

Sponsored

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
My BG unicorn shift II was delivered yesterday. Supposed to rain the next 3 days, should have it installed this weekend.
Let us know how you like it!

OP
OP

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Drove the car a bunch today, swapped the OEM fluid to BG Unicorn Shift II, drove it a bunch more.

It appears that all the 1->2 weirdness is gone. For the first time since owning the car it just drops into second gear.

It's been pretty warm today, so I'm curious to see if it'll be any different tomorrow morning when I go to work and its cooler out.

OP
OP

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
MRose, does it deserve the unicorn label? Lol
I'll admit I was pretty skeptical. Hard to believe just a fluid swap could change the shift feel so much. I'll report back again after a full week of driving but tonight's drive was a pretty big change.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I did the BG fluid swap a long time ago. Helped, but did not cure it. But I have noticed that once I hit over 26,000 miles it doesn't seem to do it any more. Finally broke in??

Sponsored

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT V8 with 41k miles
Reviving an old thread.....any update after changing fluid? I've got the 1-2 nibble as well that is engine-temperature-independent. I shift slowly and pause in neutral in between shifts to mitigate. Not cool, makes me feel like I always drive slow off the line...

IntenseGT

In The Air of The Night
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19' GT MT PP1 PREM AE MR - MAGNETIC
Reviving an old thread.....any update after changing fluid? I've got the 1-2 nibble as well that is engine-temperature-independent. I shift slowly and pause in neutral in between shifts to mitigate. Not cool, makes me feel like I always drive slow off the line...
Ditto, in for replies.

natepcbfl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GTpp 50th AP ---- 1989 Mustang GT 25th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I did the swap and it "helps". Still does it a tad here and there when it's below freezing, but by the time I get to the stop sign down the road it's gone.

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Agree, not much difference in the cold, but once warm it’s a minor miracle on my box for sure.

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT V8 with 41k miles
At 42k miles on the stock clutch I have been obsessing over whether to spring for a McLeod RST clutch. With the current clutch grabbing just fine, I don’t feel cost justified just yet. Unless replacing the clutch with a RST would eliminate my 1-2 nibble, then that just might be compelling?
Sponsored