Sponsored

KingMatt24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Because Ford named it a mustang and perverted the purpose of the car and set (false) expectations.

The person who allowed not-a-mustang to be called one needs to be hanged from a pole, not just fired.

This thing isn't legal in any race class so it's stupid to build it and mouth the words "racing" in the description.

On the other hand this perverts the Ford halo car concept and cheapens the GT by supplanting it with a mass produced successor. I'm sure every one is already sold, there are plenty of people in the world to whom 300G is like buying cat food.

Had Ford cut the price to be 120k or so to give the c8 z06 a run for it's money, that would have been something even the everyman could cheer about.

That Ford management learns surprising lessons taking a ev f150 out on a trip is a testament to how clueless and out of touch they are.

What Ford fails to realise is that the tweed cap set isn't the ones keeping the lights on. When your product execution is shite rah rah the troops/fanboys doesn't prevent them from buying a different brand of car.

Execution is the ONLY metric that matters.
I see what you’re saying, but I just don’t see it as a bad thing for the Mustang brand like so many people.
Everyone is complaining and saying “Why would I buy a $300K Mustang when you can get a Lambo, Porsche” etc for that price. I mean, if I had $300K for a car I wouldn’t buy a Ford either but just the fact this thing exists is what I think is cool.
Shopping for $300K+ cars doesn’t really apply to any of us, so having these hypothetical arguments over which car makes more sense for that price is hilarious.
This car wasn’t necessary but it’s one of those things where it’s just cool that Ford was actually crazy enough to go through with this
Sponsored

KingMatt24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
But you’re right, Ford has far bigger issues going on with their brand. That’s why I don’t like or care about anything Ford does outside of V8 Mustangs, they’re just not a good company

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
I don't see any hardcore Porsche GT3RS owners crossing over to the GTD. It will be interesting to see how truely competitive they are in the long run. Maybe they'll turn some heads and not just in disgust that its a Ford.
I agree. From my experience most German supercar owners don't just care for performance, but they like to flex that their cars cost well into th 6 figures. And Porsches have an air about them.

I think most of the GTDs will end up as garage queens, and investments. People don't realize that tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone. Hell, we are a nut away from a nuclear holocaust. Specially, with the Ukraine War.

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody is fake oozing over this, this is legitimately a really cool thing and many people think so
They didn't even design the car from scratch to be Mid Engine, and they come out patting themselves on the back making a big deal out of a patch job from the S550 2.0 , 100% afterthought with the Mid Engine, media hype to sell the cars to some fools that's going to pay $300,000+... get real ,you will never catch Porsche who's been doing this for over 50 years with the mid engine. The Porsche is probably a thousand pounds lighter right off the getgo as we speak, But hey.. don't miss out on all the hype.. most likely nobody on this thread will be buying one anyway..

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They didn't even design the car from scratch to be Mid Engine, and they come out patting themselves on the back making a big deal out of a patch job from the S550 2.0 , 100% afterthought with the Mid Engine, media hype to sell the cars to some fools that's going to pay $300,000+... get real ,you will never catch Porsche who's been doing this for over 50 years with the mid engine. The Porsche is probably a thousand pounds lighter right off the getgo as we speak, But hey.. don't miss out on all the hype.. most likely nobody on this thread will be buying one anyway..
This is paper racing, nobody cares about any of that.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
1692368711924.png

I'm curious as to how 300K is a bargain here vs the GT3RS. I mean if the car does crush the GT3RS on track maybe I'll concede there or maybe considering dealer mark up and/or availability might be playing a role here that I don't know of.
I don't want the comment to be interrupted as a smart ass comment, I'm just geniunely curious as I'll never be able to afford cars of this caliber unless I'm made of money by my retirement age.
You're comparing it to the wrong Porsche. The GT2RS2 would be the natural competitor to the GTD. The Road version goes for over $400k and the track-specific Club Sport version clocks in over $600k. I don't know if the GTD will be as fast on track as the GT2, but numbers would suggest it's close.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Another forum member and I were having a discussion the other evening and he made an excellent point. With all of the pressure to move away from not just big burly V8’s but ICE in general, Farley and Ford are basically giving them all a big middle finger and the fact they are building this car is something that should be celebrated.

I don’t think it lessens the Ford GT in any way (totally different cars IMO) and Ford needs to build this car to be able to race the Mustang. I’m sure most of them are already spoken for and 99.99% of us couldn’t afford it anyway. So why piss and moan about it.

Further, this car is not meant to replace the Mach 1, Shelby, Dark Horse or any other Mustang model that is sold via dealerships. Theyre not even in the same ballpark. Not to mention a halo car like this elevates the whole Mustang brand, especially if it does kick Porsche, AMG, McLaren and Ferrari ass like Farley is promising.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
So the key is to get the weight of the GTD as close to Porsche GT3RS which is 3268lbs. Looks like that’s a challenge, as to why you have super wide tires front and rear and 800hp+. Porsche has been building race cars for 75years and have engineered weight out of every part for that long. Which makes the Porsche Street cars way closer to weight of their Race cars.

Now the Mustang GT3 race car will get down to 3,000lbs because they have to to be competitive. That’s obvious, my guess the GTD will weigh in at 3700max, not surprised at 3500lbs.

Here’s why, sub 7min GT3RS, 518hp 3268lbs

800hp vs 518hp = approx 300lbs in weight the Mustang GTD can be heavier.

Tire size increase GTD has over the GT3 RS will = approx 100lbs mustang can be heavier.

Ford says they simulated the sub7min run and you can’t argue with Super Computers today. 50/50 weight distribution is something Porsche doesn’t have and Multimatic’s suspension is trick and Brakes are comparable. So, you’re down to Aero and traction control software.

Boooom! GTD is here and time will tell if the GT3 version will be competitive on the Track and GTD a great investment.

I personally wouldn’t bet against Ford/Multimatic great job.

victory-rc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' , premium ,10 speed, Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Another forum member and I were having a discussion the other evening and he made an excellent point. With all of the pressure to move away from not just big burly V8’s but ICE in general, Farley and Ford are basically giving them all a big middle finger and the fact they are building this car is something that should be celebrated.

I don’t think it lessens the Ford GT in any way (totally different cars IMO) and Ford needs to build this car to be able to race the Mustang. I’m sure most of them are already spoken for and 99.99% of us couldn’t afford it anyway. So why piss and moan about it.

Further, this car is not meant to replace the Mach 1, Shelby, Dark Horse or any other Mustang model that is sold via dealerships. Theyre not even in the same ballpark. Not to mention a halo car like this elevates the whole Mustang brand, especially if it does kick Porsche, AMG, McLaren and Ferrari ass like Farley is promising.
I don't believe you can buy any new Mach 1 or Shelby at the dealership unless it's a leftover.

I don't believe you can buy a Shelby or Mach 1 anymore at the dealerships, unless it's a leftover ,they are discontinued..

Sponsored

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Every last Aussie supercar team running a Ford would like a word with you...
Hahaha, one season is not what Ford signed up for nor was Multimatic/Ford Team involved in Ausssie NASCAR.

Endurance racing is what GTD is built to allow Ford to enter.

Time will tell, enjoy

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
So the key is to get the weight of the GTD as close to Porsche GT3RS which is 3268lbs. Looks like that’s a challenge, as to why you have super wide tires front and rear and 800hp+. Porsche has been building race cars for 75years and have engineered weight out of every part for that long. Which makes the Porsche Street cars way closer to weight of their Race cars.

Now the Mustang GT3 race car will get down to 3,000lbs because they have to to be competitive. That’s obvious, my guess the GTD will weigh in at 3700max, not surprised at 3500lbs.

Here’s why, sub 7min GT3RS, 518hp 3268lbs

800hp vs 518hp = approx 300lbs in weight the Mustang GTD can be heavier.

Tire size increase GTD has over the GT3 RS will = approx 100lbs mustang can be heavier.

Ford says they simulated the sub7min run and you can’t argue with Super Computers today. 50/50 weight distribution is something Porsche doesn’t have and Multimatic’s suspension is trick and Brakes are comparable. So, you’re down to Aero and traction control software.

Boooom! GTD is here and time will tell if the GT3 version will be competitive on the Track and GTD a great investment.

I personally wouldn’t bet against Ford/Multimatic great job.
All great points and pretty much what I previously tried to point out.

Tricked out suspension, brakes, tires, steering, drivers, etc. are all paramount to winning but if you are not competitive from a power to weight ratio standpoint, all those other key factors will probably not make up the difference.

On another note and for those that are suggesting that all 1,500 to 2,000 GTD allocations have already spoken for, that is certainly not the case.

Have some GTD VIP allocations already been allotted, absolutely but the majority of them will still be available sometime down the road.

RedTetsu13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT California Special
You're comparing it to the wrong Porsche. The GT2RS2 would be the natural competitor to the GTD. The Road version goes for over $400k and the track-specific Club Sport version clocks in over $600k. I don't know if the GTD will be as fast on track as the GT2, but numbers would suggest it's close.
Fair point, at the same time there isn't a GT2RS (well right now at least, who knows what the future holds). At the end of the day more competition is good new for consumers wjo can afford it đŸ€ŁđŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't believe you can buy any new Mach 1 or Shelby at the dealership unless it's a leftover.

I don't believe you can buy a Shelby or Mach 1 anymore at the dealerships, unless it's a leftover ,they are discontinued..
What’s your point? This car is a Ford/Multimatic collaboration that has nothing to do with the Mach or Shelby. As I and others have said numerous times, the GTD is being built so Ford can abide by the homologation rules so they can race the Mustang GT3 starting in 2024. That’s it. It’s not a model in the sense of a Shelby or Mach or Ecoboost or GT or Dark Horse that you or me or anyone can walk into a dealership and order.

If you don’t like it that’s your opinion. But the car is not being built because they need to fill the void left by the exit of the GT500.
Sponsored