Sponsored

OEM Differential Oil Cooler Install

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I am aware the Tech Pack harness not having the wires.
I actually started this thread. :)

It's connector C406 or C408
Can't find them physically.

Thanks,
Kirby
left center vehicle manual says for both 406 and 408
Sponsored

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.spacecitypanteras.com
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350R LR217, 2017 Raptor, 20 720S, 71 Pantera
Thanks to jwb, tank and others, much of the physical hardware you need to get the sensor to work is listed. I've got the wire from the kick panel installed in the plug and have run it back to the left side rear seat, but I am struggling to locate the two rear plugs, C406 and C408.

Since I have the Track Pack rear harness, cooler, etc. all installed, the sensor wire should at least be coming to C406 and maybe C408.

Tap into those with my two wires and it should show up on the display. I already activated both the trans sensor and the diff sensor with Forscan.

Thanks for the complement on the cars. They do keep you busy though...

Kirby
Answering my own question now.

After reading jwb, voodoo and tank's posts and looking at voodoo's excellent pics, I've got it. Just hooked up my two wires and I have axle temp!

Only thing left to do now is put the pins into the car side of the harness and tidy things up with wire routing, etc.

I'm not sure the hassle was worth it, but once I get finished, I'll forget all that.
:)

Thanks to everyone who has added significant input to this thread.

Kirby

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks to jwb, tank and others, much of the physical hardware you need to get the sensor to work is listed. I've got the wire from the kick panel installed in the plug and have run it back to the left side rear seat, but I am struggling to locate the two rear plugs, C406 and C408.

Since I have the Track Pack rear harness, cooler, etc. all installed, the sensor wire should at least be coming to C406 and maybe C408.

Tap into those with my two wires and it should show up on the display. I already activated both the trans sensor and the diff sensor with Forscan.

Thanks for the complement on the cars. They do keep you busy though...

Kirby
Welcome back Kirby!
Good to see your still in the game!! I haven't had much time to continue the work on this but should be able to jump back into this fall. Got a Helm on the way too!

Congrats on the diff temp display- good stuff. Could you recap how you're getting power to the pump and how it operates (on/off, constant...). Have you cracked the Forscan programming? Thanks:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
Welcome back Kirby!
Good to see your still in the game!! I haven't had much time to continue the work on this but should be able to jump back into this fall. Got a Helm on the way too!

Congrats on the diff temp display- good stuff. Could you recap how you're getting power to the pump and how it operates (on/off, constant...). Have you cracked the Forscan programming? Thanks:thumbsup:
Thanks. I, too, have been busy with other stuff.

Finished off the temp display. The biggest hassle for me was the plugs and pins.
jwb's part numbers for pins and his install hints were valuable.
voodoo's pictures helped again, too.

So, yes, I have Axle Temp now. Haven't driven it yet. Too much water on the roads.

I have not gotten to the pump yet. That's next on my agenda after I get the race car engine back in the car.

The flooding around here is terrible. Too many people are not nearly as lucky as us.

FWIW,
Kirby

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Are using OEM pump? Or pump in retro kit?
If OEM How did you get it to run?

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thanks. I, too, have been busy with other stuff.

Finished off the temp display. The biggest hassle for me was the plugs and pins.
jwb's part numbers for pins and his install hints were valuable.
voodoo's pictures helped again, too.

So, yes, I have Axle Temp now. Haven't driven it yet. Too much water on the roads.

I have not gotten to the pump yet. That's next on my agenda after I get the race car engine back in the car.

The flooding around here is terrible. Too many people are not nearly as lucky as us.

FWIW,
Kirby
Oh man, the footage is horrible. I hope you and yours are safe and that the area is able to recover quickly. Puts things in perspective for sure.

I agree [MENTION=29216]jwb[/MENTION] 's info has been tremendously helpful, [MENTION=28002]cking[/MENTION] 's info and diagrams too :thumbsup: Voodooo was always quick to help out and get his hands dirty...

I am hoping to get to my diff temp install before the snow flies up here. I'll plan on writing it up in a seperate thread if it hasn't been done yet. I feel the forscan work on this hasn't been exhausted so I will go as far as I can with it. My end goal is an OEM temp display and diff pump functioning.

Thanks for the update, good luck w your build.

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
Are using OEM pump? Or pump in retro kit?
If OEM How did you get it to run?
I am using all Ford OEM parts except for the transmission cooler pump. I'm using a Welbro pump wired with a thermostatic switch.
It works.
As soon as the gauge panel says 215F, it turns on and the transmission temperature drops into the 160F range.

The differential pump, cooler, etc. are all OEM.
Today, I got the diff temp showing on the gauge panel.

My next goal is the diff pump. I know it runs if I hot wire it.
I don't have it running automatically yet.

Hope that clarifies and helps.
Kirby

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack, Wht w/ blu
[MENTION]kgschrader[/MENTION],

I hope these videos are what you are looking for.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]pJEx63NunhU[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]DoAaQzIUWSY[/MEDIA]"]

Please take a look and get back to me with questions. Hopefully, I can help some.

Thanks,
John

jwb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack, Wht w/ blu
Ooops. Looks like you already found it. Welcome to the Tech Pack Diff Temp Club (haha). I don't have pump running yet either. However, having temp was a big help this summer. We did push it prob too much. We'd back off in upper 200's.. Highest we saw was 288F. Fluid change reqd after those days. Being able to run the car was awesome.

Kirby, you actually ran the pump on 12V? I could prob live with a switch when I notice the temp rising. Any info on what you did would be appreciated. Not backing off at all on a hot day sounds like the way it should be.

Thanks,
John

OP
OP
kgschrader

kgschrader

Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
Kirby
Vehicle(s)
Ooops. Looks like you already found it. Welcome to the Tech Pack Diff Temp Club (haha). I don't have pump running yet either. However, having temp was a big help this summer. We did push it prob too much. We'd back off in upper 200's.. Highest we saw was 288F. Fluid change reqd after those days. Being able to run the car was awesome.

Kirby, you actually ran the pump on 12V? I could prob live with a switch when I notice the temp rising. Any info on what you did would be appreciated. Not backing off at all on a hot day sounds like the way it should be.

Thanks,
John
Thanks! Those videos do show exactly where to go. Yes, I did find what I needed to do before you did the videos, but those should help everyone else.
Thanks again!

As for the pump, when I first installed it months ago, I just hooked up 12v and it worked. Now... It's been too long.
I've forgotten which pins and exactly what I did...

I'll let you know as I progress, but it may not be soon. This flooding didn't affect us directly, but family and friends have been evacuated and their houses are flooded as well as their cars and trucks.

Regards,
Kirby

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Tech Pack Cooler Electrical Diagram

This picture looks busy, but I summarized lots of content on here with a single diagram. This should enable GT350 Tech Pack (and maybe Base Pack?) owners to see BOTH Axle and Transmission temps in the center gauge cluster and to properly supply power to pumps.

I have mine all simply activated by a single switch (lead "X" in pic), but ran lead "O" along with it (not connected to anything currently) in case I want an independent switch for each pump in the future. With the use of relays each pump is safely on it's own fused circuit either way.
GT350 Cooler Electrical Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
This picture looks busy, but I summarized lots of content on here with a single diagram. This should enable GT350 Tech Pack (and maybe Base Pack?) owners to see BOTH Axle and Transmission temps in the center gauge cluster and to properly supply power to pumps.

I have mine all simply activated by a single switch (lead "X" in pic), but ran lead "O" along with it (not connected to anything currently) in case I want an independent switch for each pump in the future. With the use of relays each pump is safely on it's own fused circuit either way.
:clap2::cheers:

Someone buy this man a beer

KevDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2004 F150 FX4
Hey Tank, kgschrader, jwb, rb92gt, cking, Hack, GT_Dave and others..

I have been reading the post on adding the Diff Temp sensor to a Tech Pack car. Really exhausting...I did notice that in the threads it was mentioned that some of you were initially just going to add the sensor to monitor the temps, before you would add the cooler.

I think I would also like to monitor the temps before proceeding with the cooler addition. I have cut and pasted into the attached image what I have understood from this thread is required, please correct me if I am wrong !

2 questions;
Do any of you know the pin connectors that are required to attach the wires from the sensor pigtail to the C264 connector? Where to get?

Can any one add a photo of the Diff cover where the sensor is mounted, preferably if you are not using the Track Pack car wiring harness? DIY.

Really appreciate all the effort that has gone into this thread, you guys are true enthusiasts...

Thanks,

Kev
Diff Sensor Wiring.jpg

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Hey Tank, kgschrader, jwb, rb92gt, cking, Hack, GT_Dave and others..

Can any one add a photo of the Diff cover where the sensor is mounted, preferably if you are not using the Track Pack car wiring harness? DIY.

Really appreciate all the effort that has gone into this thread, you guys are true enthusiasts...

Thanks,

Kev
Here is the sensor port location in the cover, I have an aftermarket sensor installed in this pic . . .

nopa49.jpg

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey [MENTION=23475]KevDog[/MENTION],

Question 1- I went through Mouser.com and got several types as recommended by [MENTION=29216]jwb[/MENTION].

Question 2 - Here's the temp sensor install and removal from the Helm. It has the pics with the lines for the cooler but the threaded socket is in the similar location. Interesting the temp sensor is single use... Good Luck!!

205-02 Rear Drive Axle/Differential 2016 Mustang
Removal and Installation Procedure revision date: 07/29/2015

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differential Fluid Temperature Sensor
Removal

NOTE: Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

Disconnect the differential fluid temperature sensor connector.

Remove and discard the differential temperature sensor.
Torque : 89 lb.in (10 Nm)

Installation

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Copyright © Ford Motor Company

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SGB~us~en~file=E218772_EUR_580_JPG~gen~ref.JPG
SGB~us~en~file=E218773_EUR_580_JPG~gen~ref.JPG
Sponsored