Sponsored

Motorweek Car of the year! Loved my S550’s but S650 not so bad after all.

s3ltz3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT
I much rather get a Supra, than the S650 turd. It's a sad excuse of a Mustang.

It's sad the Camaro had to go away, because of GM's pathetic marketing. But at least Stellantis managed to bring back the Mopars.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
But at least Stellantis managed to bring back the Mopars.
Uh, what? Challenger and Charger are gone. Charger coming back as an EV in 2025 and Challenger/Charger MIGHT also get the I6 Hurricane. That’s not bringing back the Mopars. Hemi is dead

OP
OP
EgoBoost

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
I much rather get a Supra, than the S650 turd. It's a sad excuse of a Mustang.

It's sad the Camaro had to go away, because of GM's pathetic marketing. But at least Stellantis managed to bring back the Mopars.
I was shopping for my 3rd MKV Supra when I bought the S650. Manual Supras are hard to find and going for a lot of $. And let’s not talk about cost to modify and aftermarket part availability (compared to Mustangs). I love my Supra’s, but dollar for dollar the Mustang has it beat.

s3ltz3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT
Uh, what? Challenger and Charger are gone. Charger coming back as an EV in 2025 and Challenger/Charger MIGHT also get the I6 Hurricane. That’s not bringing back the Mopars. Hemi is dead
Stellantis will bring back the ICE Mopars without the V8, which is part of the EPA/CARB era. It is what it is. I will spend my own money on that, instead of any S650 Mustang.

And based on the leaks, it's already a better looking car by far.

s3ltz3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT
I was shopping for my 3rd MKV Supra when I bought the S650. Manual Supras are hard to find and going for a lot of $. And let’s not talk about cost to modify and aftermarket part availability (compared to Mustangs). I love my Supra’s, but dollar for dollar the Mustang has it beat.
I get it, but between an S550 or Supra, I'll take the S550 by far.

In 2024, I'm willing to pay a little extra for a MKV Supra, instead of wasting a chunk of money on an S650.

Better looks, better performance, and better value for money compared to the S650. Ford really, really dropped the ball on this one, but the EPA/CARB are the biggest culprits for the turd. It's sad.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Stellantis will bring back the ICE Mopars without the V8, which is part of the EPA/CARB era. It is what it is. I will spend my own money on that, instead of any S650 Mustang.

And based on the leaks, it's already a better looking car by far.
I think that is a load of junk. no offense, its going to be a heavy mopar and going to sound like someone is blowing through a piece of paper. :crackup:

I saw the Dark Horse ( sounds awesome although I prefer the S550 looks), ill take it any day before a BMSupra or a moped.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Why would people think the S650 is bad?

Most reviews have been positive.
There are things to look at in a review besides praise for the car.
Maybe they're technically not "paid shills" but
Car magazines and vendors have to put a lot of positives in their reviews to ensure their future access to new toys. Car magazines who tell too much truth at once can lose advertising revenue, or a manufacturer could cut them off. An aftermarket vendor who bad-mouths a car might not get preferential treatment for a new car to test. They might have to pay full price and wait like everybody else before they have a car to try out new parts.
People who actually buy the car could just be impressed because it's the newest, shiniest thing (i.e. they're shallow) or they could be accentuating the positive to avoid buyer's remorse.

S650 dynamometer tests get strangely low numbers, and I don't think I've seen a Dark Horse that shows as much torque as my dead-stock 2020 GT.
A lot of us find the S650s styling to be disappointing, and many think the dashboard screens are hideous.

When there's evidence the engine doesn't make the advertised power, and the looks and interior aren't appealing us, then the rest of the car is also suspect.

It seems to be very appealing to some buyers, and I'm not one of them. I feel pretty safe assuming nothing about the S650 will make me want to trade in my S550

EDIT: Maybe notice I didn't ever say the S650 is bad.

Last edited:

JFBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
There are things to look at in a review besides praise for the car.
Maybe they're technically not "paid shills" but
Car magazines and vendors have to put a lot of positives in their reviews to ensure their future access to new toys. Car magazines who tell too much truth at once can lose advertising revenue, or a manufacturer could cut them off. An aftermarket vendor who bad-mouths a car might not get preferential treatment for a new car to test. They might have to pay full price and wait like everybody else before they have a car to try out new parts.
People who actually buy the car could just be impressed because it's the newest, shiniest thing (i.e. they're shallow) or they could be accentuating the positive to avoid buyer's remorse.

S650 dynamometer tests get strangely low numbers, and I don't think I've seen a Dark Horse that shows as much torque as my dead-stock 2020 GT.
A lot of us find the S650s styling to be disappointing, and many think the dashboard screens are hideous.

If the engine doesn't make the advertised power and the looks and interior aren't appealing us, then the rest of the car is also suspect.

It seems to be very appealing to some buyers, and I'm not one of them, so I feel pretty safe assuming nothing about the S650 will make me want to trade in my S550.
The S650 is ~150lbs heavier while achieving similar acceleration and trap speeds to the S550. Its making the rated power.

There are plenty of people that refuse to drive a mid engined Corvette and stayed with previous generations. Some Porsche fans still refuse to drive a water cooled Porsche. Some BMW owners didn’t move to the next generation when forced induction replaced NA engines.

That’s perfectly fine. However, in all cases, just because it doesn’t make you want to trade your car doesn’t mean it isn’t a good car. Thats the point I’m making.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
If I didn't already own my low mileage GT I may consider buying one but I do.......... And between the higher pricing and somewhat subtle changes for S650 it just isn't very compelling of a change. Down the road who knows but for the foreseeable future (say next 4 years) it is likely a hard "no".

But the touch screen is a sore point for me in both aesthetics and safety concerns.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Here is me sliding through a fluid spill in the esses at WGI. I was able to do full split second analysis of what I was doing with steering, brakes, throttle in that moment, I have a full logging of the temps, tire pressures and everything I need at any other point in time when I'm on track, just by mounting a gopro camera.
Screenshot_20240210-221630~3.png

What can I monitor in a mustang? Freakin alternator current 🤡 . Did Ford ask me or any other enthusiast about what we want to see on those screens? No, they did a tiktok focus group and pulled off that youtube moron. That is what pisses me off and why I am so sarcastic about s650.
Far, far better digital dash integration than S650. It's actually tolerable. Much like the 911, which is hard to fault.

And are those physical buttons in the center stack?? Lack of physical controls is another reason I won't buy an S650. I hope the touchscreen fad is deemed unsafe and eliminated.

CarmeloS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carmelo
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands
I’ve driven a few now, it’s a good car for sure. Just doesn’t feel a whole lot different than S550 considering it was rolled out as a new gen car. So I think the expectations of some (maybe most) and the actual car don’t match up.
I drove one last week, white eb ‘vert. Felt a lot nicer but also havent driven an ‘18+ EB, so they probably would feel similar

if the pricer was better and they didn’t restrict tuning atm, Id consider a S650, but it wont be on my radar anytime soob

Blue 350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2019 Subaru Forester, 1971 Chevelle
No chance of buying one however minus the dash I dont have any issues with the "new" Mustang. Just glad Ford still has the brains to produce a manual V8 vs EV wannabees.
Sponsored