Sponsored

Ford Not Honoring Warranty (Front Splitter)

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
First off, I want to say that I love my GT350. After owning numerous performance cars and always looking for the next best thing, this car makes me excited to drive to work every morning and I don't see that changing.
With 6,XXX miles on my 2017 GT350, I was going down the highway and hear a loud slam and then scraping. I was at first worried that it was a blown tire but stayed calm and pulled over slowly. My front splitter had come loose and was destroyed. I immediately had a friend of mine help to remove and save the remaining piece so I could drive the car without causing further damage.
After taking the car to the dealership, they verify that there was no sign that I had damaged the splitter and they also found evidence that there were missing parts and it had been installed incorrectly so they submitted a warranty claim to Ford. I was then told they were having trouble getting Ford to pay and offered to do the work at cost. I appreciated the gesture but told them I didn't intend to pay. This is a new(ish) car with a full factory warranty and evidence of improper workmanship and Ford doesn't want to pay... I called the original dealer who installed the splitter and they said that because of the distance(out of state), they wouldn't be able to evaluate or fix the car so they won't be able to help. I was advised at some point to do this but realistically, this is between me and Ford. I have nothing to do with who they hired or subcontracted to put the car or any parts together. If a fuel pump on a car fails, consumers don't call the supplier. They get it fixed under warranty and the car company can deal with it's suppliers and installers.
I then escalated the case to Ford directly. My original call was with a representative who did not seem to understand what I was explaining based upon his feedback and scripts. He said the case would be escalated to my service manager instead of my regular service adviser. The dealership has been great and very helpful but they are limited in the decisions they make. This morning I get a call from a Ford customer care supervisor who says that the case was escalated to her. Then proceeds to tell me very politely that a decision has been made not to cover my car under warranty and she cannot tell me why. I insisted on speaking to her manager who made the decision and am now expecting a call by Tuesday.
This is so disappointing and infuriating. I never thought that I would have an issue with parts flying off my modern car on the highway. The car was delivered in this condition from Ford Motor Company to a consumer with a full factory warranty and it was never modified or damaged (verified by dealer) and now they decide not to stand behind the car or warranty and won't even tell me why. The only next step I know to take is to contact my attorney. I would really appreciate any support or advice from fellow GT350 owners.
Sponsored

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Edit - Ford screwed up by trusting the dealer to install this part but not educating the dealers about how to do it. The splitter is part of the car and therefore under warranty the same as any other part on the car. If the engine was improperly assembled, the warranty would cover it. Your splitter was improperly assembled so Ford should cover it. Shame on Ford.

Last edited:

TXRickC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The splitter is installed by the dealer after they receive it or if lucky is left in the box, in the trunk for the buyer to install themselves. I put mine on 3 weeks ago and can see how someone at the dealer can miss some of the screws if the are rushing.
You mentioned the dealer found evidence that there were missing parts and it had been installed incorrectly, sounds like the selling dealer would be at fault.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for the quick feedback. Maybe I’ll push harder on the original dealer but it still seems very strange for me to have to deal with them considering that I didn’t hire them to do the work. I would technically be going after one of Ford’s installers. This is not an aftermarket part that I paid to have installed. This is a vital/included part of the complete car I purchased from ford. I know how the process works with the splitter installation but would be surprised it the proper channel is to go after the dealer directly. I guess I’ll be finding out now

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It sounds like you still believe your beef is with Ford and not the dealer, so maybe think of it like this...did this part fail or come apart going down the road to due a defective product? Was there a fault or a flaw in the splitter itself that caused it to come apart? No, there was not. Theoretically, and most likely, if things went in your favor with the original installing dealer, it may be covered under "warranty" as far as you're concerned (as the consumer, you don't care who pays as long as it's not you), but Ford is not covering that bill. Since the installation was done incorrectly, the dealer would eat that one. Now, should Ford help with a resolution working with the installing dealer? Absolutely. Especially if you in fact found evidence of it improperly installed in the first place.

Look at the positive side of this...now you can replace it with some carbon bits.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO it's Ford's responsibility to either educate or dump dealers that are under performing.

Ford should have about 3/4 of the dealers in my area on notice. Ford seems to think it's ok to just coast along and play the blame game.

There are other choices that I can make to avoid this situation. Neither Ford nor their dealers will be making much money off me if this situation is left as is.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
This is on the selling dealer, not Ford. As others have stated, It left Ford's possesion without the part in question installed. It would be no diffrent if it was an accessory tonneau cover or ventshades. The installer here is at fault because they didn't do it properly.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I hate to say it but I agree with Ford. The problem is not with the part itself but the installation of said part (splitter). The installation of the splitter was not executed properly and that install was not performed by Ford. All splitters on the GT350 are installed by the dealer when it arrives at the dealership. This helps protect the splitter during shipping. Since the dealer improperly installed your splitter, your problem is with the dealer who did the install improperly. Ford has nothing to do with this IMO.
This is on the selling dealer, not Ford. As others have stated, It left Ford's possesion without the part in question installed. It would be no diffrent if it was an accessory tonneau cover or ventshades. The installer here is at fault because they didn't do it properly.
what nonsense. if ford is going to trust their dealer network with finishing assembly on their vehicles, then they are just as responsible for the end result. lets say the dealer did warranty repair work and the next day went out of business. would the work they did no longer be covered by ford because the dealer was responsible? attitudes like this are what allows ford and these dealers the ability to operate like this.

Ford and their dealer network should be working together to provide seamless customer service.

Passing the customer back and forth is unacceptable.
this guy gets it. OP take this as high up ford as you can go. raise enough hell and ford will do the right thing.

Zcobra1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Ferrari 360, Viper GTS, C6-Z06, 70'Trans Am
Before you contact your attorney, have the current dealer fix you up for the best cost possible, then download the small claims paperwork for the State/area of the selling dealer, fill it out and send it to the GM of the dealer, telling him you will file it and show up if they do not pay up. Give him your contact numbers.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
they are just passing you back and forth, hoping you will concede...keep pushing. in the end, i have zero clue who paid for mine, but it wasn't me and this was a principle thing

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It really sucks that there is so much inconsistency with Ford and their dealer network. There truly are some good ones out there, but unfortunately their dealer network and business model surrounding it just can't be blindly trusted. To the guys who work for dealers and go out of their way to help us, I salute you. You're fucking amazing. To the rest, I'll keep my mouth shut since kiddos might read this.

OP - somebody owes you a fix. Keep pushing until either the original dealer coughs it up or Ford takes the high road and covers the fix to make the customer happy.

Sucks man - Ford makes a hell of a car (and trucks), but you gotta be on top of your game.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I can't believe this splitter issue is still around after 4 years. There are numerous threads on multiple forums with hundreds of owners stating their case with dealers across the country. When I bought my 350 almost 3 years ago, I didn't know of the problem. Fortunately, I learned of the issue on this forum and inspected my splitter and discovered it was missing fasteners and had a gap in the middle. Armed with the install video from Ford Performance, (which the dealer was unaware of), they let me watch while they pulled it off and reinstalled it. And since the fasteners are unique, they had to steal some from a car that had just arrived. Ford has had 4 years to educate the dealers about this, yet still it remains a problem. And the fact that there are still cases of owners being denied a warranty fix really is astounding!

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I hate to say it but I agree with Ford. The problem is not with the part itself but the installation of said part (splitter). The installation of the splitter was not executed properly and that install was not performed by Ford. All splitters on the GT350 are installed by the dealer when it arrives at the dealership. This helps protect the splitter during shipping. Since the dealer improperly installed your splitter, your problem is with the dealer who did the install improperly. Ford has nothing to do with this IMO.
Ford is still responsible for this under their warranty. They ship the car without the splitter installed because they do not want to install it at the factory and risk damage to it during transport. Its not an aftermarket part or a FP part added by the owner after delivery. Ford should be paying for this and they should be the ones dealing with the dealer if they think the dealer installed it improperly.

This is no different than if a dealer failed to remove the shipping blocks from an R and it was damaged as a result, or damaged an R while taking out the shipping blocks. Its still a warranty claim.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks again to everyone who posted for your support and insights. Below is an email I just sent to the service manager of the original dealer who installed the splitter. I will keep everyone updated on how things unfold unless legally advised against it. This is a matter of principle to me.

Mr. (redacted),

I believe we spoke on the phone the other day regarding the failure of the front splitter on my GT350 at highway speeds. My local dealer in Houston verified that it was not previously damaged but was improperly installed due to the missing hardware and lack of damage/stress on the mounting points. Due to this, Ford has denied the warranty saying that this is a dealer installation issue. Because the installation was done for Ford, I assumed that they would do the right thing and honor the warranty and then figure things out with the installing dealer(redacted). Instead, they have denied the warranty claim and are forcing me to go directly to the dealer to cover the work done. I understand the point you made on the phone mentioning that the car is now too far away to be inspected by you personally. Consequently, your team will need to work with my local dealer to verify the claim and get the car fixed. My local dealer has no obligation to pay for this and neither do I. This comes down to the installing dealer or Ford Motor Company and Ford has already refused to pay. Your dealer was great to work with when purchasing the car and I do not intend for this email to come off in a negative or threatening way. I’m just looking to (for*) the proper solution and Ford has made this difficult for me. Please let me know if you can work with Ford to get this covered under warranty or if you can work with my local dealer to get this paid for. I have posted the story on a public forum for the sole purpose of gathering other GT350 owner’s opinions and currently have no intention of naming myself or any parties involved. I just want all parties to work together for a reasonable solution. If you are interested in reading the responses, please see the link below. I have also CC’d my service manager at (redacted) in Houston if you need to facilitate a solution with him.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ford-not-honoring-warranty-front-splitter.109298/

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored