Sponsored

Ford Not Honoring Warranty (Front Splitter)

David McCrary

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
GM wanting a Mustang
Ive had my R for 3 weeks and my local dealer (not my purchasing dealer) has lost my trust after not re-installing my splitter correctly after having the oil line recall done, when i get home the entire middle section of clips weren't attached and caused a gap, im pretty sure if i was at highway speeds it would of probably drapped and gotten damaged.

And now i need the bumper sag TSB done, but i would rather live with it then let another dealer touch my car.
Sponsored

AV80R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Twister Orange L0376
I installed my splitter myself, and I will say, it's a pretty big job. I can see how they're getting improperly installed, because folks either don't understand the crappy instructions, or simply don't care. The best thing I did, was to review the tech video before I started. And I can assure you, if it's installed correctly, it isn't going anywhere.

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
I installed my splitter myself, and I will say, it's a pretty big job. I can see how they're getting improperly installed, because folks either don't understand the crappy instructions, or simply don't care. The best thing I did, was to review the tech video before I started. And I can assure you, if it's installed correctly, it isn't going anywhere.
I too installed my splitter myself. The dealer I picked mine up from has a policy of not touching the splitter until the car is sold. Even then, they will let the car go without it instsalled so the owner can do it themselves.
I wouldn't call it a big job at all. It's just incompetence that leads to it not being done correctly. Not sure who they have putting these things on, but I can assure you it's not their master tech. I followed the printed instructions and watched the video and got it on without any issues. It was a little bit of a PITA but really not that bad.
There is absolutely no excuse for something so simple to install to be installed incorrectly.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update

I received the splitter in the mail from the installing dealer. I emailed reminding them that part number FR3Z-17626-F was also damaged and is in need of replacement according to my dealer in Houston. See the resulting email chain below. (read from the bottom)

"Mark,

Has the part # FR3Z-17626-F shipped? I still have not received it.

Blake,

(redacted) Ford, Inc. is sending both parts to you at no charge as a goodwill gesture. We are covering parts only and not labor for repairs that another dealership has determined is not warranty.

Thank you Mark. Why will the dealer not pay for the labor? Who do you think should pay for the labor? Ford has refused to pay anything stating that this is not a warranty item.

Blake,

I did receive pictures. I will cover both parts, but will not cover any labor charges to install parts. You should receive the part in about a week.

Mark,

Please verify that you have received the pictures showing damage to part # FR3Z-17626-F as requested."

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
Good to see that you’re getting the parts that you need to make this right. I personally would not worry about labor, as I would want it done correctly, therefore I would do it myself. Dealerships have proven that they can’t do it right, And won’t take responsibility when they mess it up.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I wouldn't call it a big job at all. It's just incompetence that leads to it not being done correctly. Not sure who they have putting these things on, but I can assure you it's not their master tech. I followed the printed instructions and watched the video and got it on without any issues. It was a little bit of a PITA but really not that bad.
There is absolutely no excuse for something so simple to install to be installed incorrectly.
Man, I gotta agree with TaraFirma on this one. Mine was installed correctly from the get-go, but I just had it off to fix the damage from cat collision...that splitter is no big deal. I struggle to see how they are installing these soo poorly, and how there's been so many of them at that.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
As long as the tabs on the facia are intact, install the splitter and be on your way. The install is not difficult.

Wayne Turner

Living life and loving it
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350,1970 GSX 1987 Buick GN
I process warranty claims (not for Ford) and I likely know the process about dealer installed parts that are shipped loose to be installed later by either the selling or receiving dealer. In the case of the splitter, Ford has paid the installing dealership already to install this part. A claim was made by the installing dealer to reimburse for the time to install the splitter either included with the ODI time or through an additional claim..However it was paid out, installing dealer was paid. The installing dealer at this point has skin in the game. Had the splitter failed due to material failure or defect in material, Ford will accept a warranty claim for that. When parts are installed by a dealership incorrectly, it falls into a workmanship issue catagory, not a warranty issue. If you hit a deer and it gets into the radiator, you didnt have a radiator failure. The deer failed the radiator. When an installing dealership was compensated for the splitter install and it falls off from misinstall, the splitter didnt fail, an installing dealer failed the splitter. Not warranty. So, for a dealer who has no skin in the game to not participate in repairs of a workmanship issue while inconvenient, to me its understandable. They didnt profit 1 cent at any point from the sale to the time claimed to install the splitter. Ford has already fulfilled their commitment in paying the dealership. They paid for the Pre-delivery inspection that likely includes the time required to install the splitter. I can almost bet I know what occured in this case. The installing dealership called their dealer rep, dealer rep agreed to "goodwill" or "policy" the parts at cost and not the labor. Dealership in my mind is out zero dollars but has the option to participate in the repair but feels they have done the right thing to get you replacement parts. Looks like they are participating to make things right. Unfortunately having worked at dealerships a good part of my life, the PDI people are not the most skilled of technicians. The PDI guy will never hear of the splitters that fall off and the installing process is never going to be addressed with that "tech" (if you want to call someone that takes plastic off a seat and checks car for issues a tech) cause he doesnt know anything he has done as wrong. Dealer doesnt follow up cause they sold a unit. Mistake was made and the dealer rep paid for the replacement part and you eat the labor. Dealer hasnt lost a cent in the process and no lesson learned. If you are ok with the level of participation, thats all that matters. Im a make me whole or make it right guy though so if I have ANY responsibility in the process, I will do my part. If I had nothing to do with the process, someone needs to make it right in my eyes.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Yup agree.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update

I received both the underbody part and splitter from the installing dealership and dropped the parts off to be installed at my local dealership yesterday. I sent the below email on 9/24/18 and another follow up email but have received no response. I give them credit for doing something but how easy would it have been to just make things whole from the beginning instead of 90% whole after fighting it. I intend to just pay the installation cost myself when I pick up my car since I am now being ignored by the dealership who did the original installation. All of this is such a waste of time and at this point the remaining amount we're arguing over is the price of a nice dinner. ($144)
I'm frankly p***ed off that they try to push people around and have wasted my time and energy. When people give up and say it's not worth the fight, that encourages this way of handling things to continue.

My next email will be letting them know that they can either reimburse me the installation cost or their dealership name becomes un-redacted on my forum posts and I'll be taking them to small claims court as one of you recommended previously. It will be a first time experience for me so it should be an interesting way for me to learn the legal process.

Most recent email to the dealer-
Thank you Mark. I received the part today.

I see in a previous email, you say “(redacted) Ford, Inc. is sending both parts to you at no charge as a goodwill gesture. We are covering parts only and not labor for repairs that another dealership has determined is not warranty.”

I am in no way trying to be difficult or trying to ask for more than is reasonable. I only want to be made whole in this situation but there seems to be some confusion. The determination that the repair wouldn’t be covered under warranty is because the splitter failed due to improper installation, not due to defective parts or driver abuse.

There are 3 involved parties who could have liability to pay for installation:
  1. Ford (due to defective parts)
  2. The vehicle owner (due to abuse)
  3. The dealer who was paid to install the part (due to improper installation)
There is historical precedent for splitters falling off due to improper installation and the Houston Ford dealership has verified missing parts consistent with improper installation. It is also clear that neither driver abuse nor defective parts were factors as was previously determined for multiple reasons.

I do not appreciate that I have now been reminded a number of times via email and phone that (redacted dealer name) is sending these parts in goodwill (not out of responsibility) and after significant effort from me to make this happen.

Of the three parties listed above or some other party, please tell me who you think should pay for the $144 installation of parts if not the dealer who previously installed it. I intend to have the installation done at (redacted) Ford. Please let me know how I can help facilitate payment from (redacted installing dealer).

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Before you contact your attorney, have the current dealer fix you up for the best cost possible, then download the small claims paperwork for the State/area of the selling dealer, fill it out and send it to the GM of the dealer, telling him you will file it and show up if they do not pay up. Give him your contact numbers.
Thanks for the advice Zcobra, we'll see how it goes.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
What a PITA. Good luck with installing the new part and putting this episode behind you! :fistbump:
Sponsored