Sponsored

Coyote and the Voodoo

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I work at claycomo and can tell you with certainty the coyote is not going anywhere for a long time. The motor has tons of potential and is well built and popular. I see it making a longer run than the 4.6 did. The voodoo is a hand built very expensive motor and isn't really intended to be in a touring car for everyday driving.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I work at claycomo and can tell you with certainty the coyote is not going anywhere for a long time. The motor has tons of potential and is well built and popular. I see it making a longer run than the 4.6 did. The voodoo is a hand built very expensive motor and isn't really intended to be in a touring car for everyday driving.
Good to know. Yah I think we're going to see a nice bump in the '17

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
I'd imagine soon we'll see the V6 EB as an option in a GT. Optional first, to gauge public response. Don't forget that the Cyclone/Duratec35 was designed to be opened up safely to 4.0L.

So a gen2 EB 4.0L V6 in a Mustang GT could theoretically make over 500hp and we'll over 500lbft.

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
i doubt ford will drop the 5.0 coyote that thing is a flagship when people hear mustang they automatically associate it with 5.0 they wont drop then engine anytime soon

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
And then there is the pressure from GM and that god like engine getting put into Corvettes and Camaros. Thoughts?
I read that a few new LT1's were grenading without warning. Though im sure this issue has been ironed out by now. I believe it was due to excessive bearing fragments mixed with the cheap factory oil. IIRC

Sponsored

LOL @ MPG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not yet
This is what I'm thinking too. The ability to mass produce the coyote so easily will probably be the main factor here. It would be nice to see the same power numbers with slightly better mpg but...well...just look at my username!

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
i doubt ford will drop the 5.0 coyote that thing is a flagship when people hear mustang they automatically associate it with 5.0 they wont drop then engine anytime soon
Is it 1995 again?

To a point I agree with you. But at the same time it makes no sense to handicap yourself for the sake of "heritage". We know the Coyote's block can be opened up more, so why not take advantage of it. Why not open the bore via PTWA (Coyote 92mm, Voodoo 94mm) and then give the stroke a few more mm from Coyote's 92.78mm to 97mm. That's effectively 5.4l.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Regarding LT1 reliability, GM did say that some high profile failures were caused by oil contamination, but I'm not sure I believe that exanation. There are still failure occurring on the z06, which should not be subject to that same root cause. I believe something's my else is happeneing, that is leading to infant mortality on a small number of engines. Overall I trust the reliability of the Coyote more (and Voodoo, even though we don't know anything about its reliability).

Regarding direct injection, I also am not a fan unless it is coupled with a port injection system that can prevent carbon buildup. If I did have a car I cared about with DI, I would invest in a catch can for that puppy. I do currently have a GTI with the DI turbo 2.0 engine, and haven't yet noticed significant issues 75,000 miles), but I don't pay too much attention to the power on that car.

Finally regardng fuel economy, it isn't just a customer issue. Government regulations will also force MFRs into adopting solutions they might otherwise choose to ignore. So even though most of us won't care about a 17 MPG Mustang, Ford may have a different perspective due to FE regulations.

-T

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Good to know. Yah I think we're going to see a nice bump in the '17
I wouldn't bet on it...the new 16 camaro is 20 more Hp in a car that will be around 200+ lbs heavier than the current base gt mustang.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I wouldn't bet on it...the new 16 camaro is 20 more Hp in a car that will be around 200+ lbs heavier than the current base gt mustang.
Well we'll know shortly about the weight won't we. :)

Sponsored

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
Keep in mind the Coyote is also the standard engine in the F150 from the Lariat up, and an option in all F150s.

The 17 F150 will be the first vehicle to receive the new 10 speed tranny, but I expect it to be in the Mustang by 18 at the latest.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Keep in mind the Coyote is also the standard engine in the F150 from the Lariat up, and an option in all F150s.

The 17 F150 will be the first vehicle to receive the new 10 speed tranny, but I expect it to be in the Mustang by 18 at the latest.
I hope Ford don't make us wait another 2 model years for the 10 speed auto in the Mustang! The '17MY is long enough to wait.....but by '18MY I'd be expecting the first facelift, never mind the new transmission :(

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
I'd imagine soon we'll see the V6 EB as an option in a GT. Optional first, to gauge public response. Don't forget that the Cyclone/Duratec35 was designed to be opened up safely to 4.0L.

So a gen2 EB 4.0L V6 in a Mustang GT could theoretically make over 500hp and we'll over 500lbft.
I'd have a hard time thinking they'll even make it an option just based on how much GT owners/fans would hate to see anything that isn't a true V8 get that GT badge. Even the new Ford GT was met with some skepticism and criticism, and that's even aside from the supposed 600 hp it'll make.
I'd almost bet that in the future years, you'd see that potential 4.0L EB take over the current 3.7 platform that would effectively retire the 3.7 that everyone predicts will happen but possibly keep a good middle range of a car.
Would they let it make 500hp? Eh, not likely if that's their middlecar. If they keep uping the HP on the GT, then maybe we'll see like 350-400 hp.
Idk, I'm going off alot of speculation and guessing like anyone else here

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Been reading everything I can and waiting for more Ford info on the VooDoo. I agree with most of the things posted here and I think....MO !!

the hand build Voodoo's will be offered as a crate engine before it ever becomes available on the production Mustangs!! ???? yes...no ???

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I hope Ford don't make us wait another 2 model years for the 10 speed auto in the Mustang! The '17MY is long enough to wait.....but by '18MY I'd be expecting the first facelift, never mind the new transmission :(
I don't think they can wait till '18. I think you'll see '17 with the 10 speed. Also minor (and I mean minor) possible refresh on just the front end/fascia. Someone posted they saw a '16 with 4 gill lights vs the standard 3 so that means something is going on. Maybe the '16 has 4 gills and one is a turn indicator. Who knows. lol.
Sponsored