Sponsored

Diode Dynamics glove box LED blown fuse?

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Hey guys,

Picked up my Ruby Red GT a few days ago so I'll be making more posts now that I actually have my car :).

Anyway, one of my firsts mods was changing all the interior lights to LED lights from Diode Dynamics. Got the dome lights and Vanity lights installed no problem and they look awesome. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with the glove box light.

I used a small screwdriver to take out the old bulb and I heard two small "tick" noises (one from the bulb and one from the interior fuse box) in quick succession. Now none of my interior lights (vanity, trunk, dome, etc.) work beside the ambient lighting. The dome lights only work when the engine isn't running. :doh:

Sound like I blew a fuse?

The owners manual says that relay #1 is used for "demand lamps", I'm assuming that would be the bad fuse. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Give them a call. That would be the best option.

TALK TO A LIGHTING EXPERT 314-205-3033 M-F 9-5 CST

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Give them a call. That would be the best option.

TALK TO A LIGHTING EXPERT 314-205-3033 M-F 9-5 CST
Gave them a call and they seem to think its a blown fuse. Looks like I'm not the first person to have this happen. Question is now, do I try and fix the fuse myself or take it into the dealership. I know its not a hard fix but having this happen kind of whimped me out a little bit.

350sexZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 50yr ww 6spd -2014 explorer sport
It's just a fuse no need to waste your time waiting at a dealer, for a minutes job.the fuse did it's job no harm no foul. Just throw another bad boy in there

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
It's just a fuse no need to waste your time waiting at a dealer, for a minutes job.the fuse did it's job no harm no foul. Just throw another bad boy in there
I'm gonna give it a shot. I got the panel off and according to the manual there's spare fuses in there but they all look too big. They're twice as wide. Do I need to cut them in half or just go buy new ones? Also, am I right in assuming it's the "demand lights" fuse in the #1 slot. It's the only one that makes sense when looking at the manual.

Sponsored

350sexZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 50yr ww 6spd -2014 explorer sport
Fuse1 in the passenger side foot well , it's a 10 amp micro2 fuse can find at O'Reilly's if you don't have one.

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Fuse1 in the passenger side foot well , it's a 10 amp micro2 fuse can find at O'Reilly's if you don't have one.
Thanks, man. That's exactly what I needed to know. No spare for those, unfortunately. I'm gonna head out to Advanced and see if they have one. Sorry for the noob questions, only started really working on cars this past year so every bit of info helps. :cheers:

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
There is a spare 15 amp micro fuse in the box - I think it is spot 5... That should work until you pick up the correct 10amp

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
There is a spare 15 amp micro fuse in the box - I think it is spot 5... That should work until you pick up the correct 10amp
Is it safe to use a fuse that's made for higher amps?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Yup Fuse #1 in the passenger kickpanel It's a 10 amp micro. Amazon has a pack of ten of them for like $4-5

Sponsored

Ugly John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT PP
Is it safe to use a fuse that's made for higher amps?

As long as you don't short it out again! ;)

Not really safe, since the fuse is protecting the wires from getting too hot from too much current, but I figured there was minimal risk for just a day when I wasn't doing anything unusual with the lights.

I did replace it with the proper 10 amp as soon as I found them at O'Reilly's - I had to make 4 different stops on the way home the next day to find them, but I really wanted to get the right one back in.

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Picked up a fuse at advanced auto parts and blew it out again when replacing the trunk light. I even thought to myself as a pulled it out that I probably should have waited to replace the fuse. I'm using the 15 amp spare until I get another one.

Unfortunately, the glove box light still doesn't work so I'm thinking a may have fried the switch. I'll get it replaced eventually but its no big deal since i don't spend much time in there. So let this be a warning to anybody installing these lights. It will probably be best to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery before you move forward.

Another interesting thing to note is that the homelink buttons on the visor appear to use this same fuse.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Picked up a fuse at advanced auto parts and blew it out again when replacing the trunk light. I even thought to myself as a pulled it out that I probably should have waited to replace the fuse. I'm using the 15 amp spare until I get another one.

Unfortunately, the glove box light still doesn't work so I'm thinking a may have fried the switch. I'll get it replaced eventually but its no big deal since i don't spend much time in there. So let this be a warning to anybody installing these lights. It will probably be best to pull the fuse or disconnect the battery before you move forward.

Another interesting thing to note is that the homelink buttons on the visor appear to use this same fuse.
I had zero issues installing the lights. Never pulled any fuses or disconnected the battery and the lights have been installed for a month now.

I don't recall hearing others with this issue either. There have been tons of people upgrading their lights on this forums plus others.

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I had zero issues installing the lights. Never pulled any fuses or disconnected the battery and the lights have been installed for a month now.

I don't recall hearing others with this issue either. There have been tons of people upgrading their lights on this forums plus others.
When I was searching around for answers someone commented on diode dynamics YouTube installation video and had the same problem as me. Including burning out the glove box switch. He had to take his mustang back to the dealer to have the switch replaced. When I called diode dynamics to get their advice they said it's not uncommon for a fuse to blow when changing the bulbs. Either way, if people want to be extra careful when changing the lights they may want to pull the fuse.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
When I was searching around for answers someone commented on diode dynamics YouTube installation video and had the same problem as me. Including burning out the glove box switch. He had to take his mustang back to the dealer to have the switch replaced. When I called diode dynamics to get their advice they said it's not uncommon for a fuse to blow when changing the bulbs. Either way, if people want to be extra careful when changing the lights they may want to pull the fuse.
Thanks for the info. Good to know :cheers:
Sponsored