Q about front spacers

Trace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trace
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium / 2019 F150 STX Sport 4x4
Does anyone know what thickness of spacer can be run up front without changing lugs? Looking for a slip-on, maybe 15mm...

I can't find any info at the sellers I found searching threads here.

Thanks
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Probably no more than about 8mm at most.
Thats probably pushing it? I wouldnt go more than about 5mm.

I’ve seen a mustang loose a wheel, the sound of the frame and brake rotor grinding across the pavement was pretty awful as the wheel rolled off into the distance. That was from a spacer slightly too thick and cheap quality lug nuts too.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Thats probably pushing it? I wouldnt go more than about 5mm.

I’ve seen a mustang loose a wheel, the sound of the frame and brake rotor grinding across the pavement was pretty awful as the wheel rolled off into the distance. That was from a spacer slightly too thick and cheap quality lug nuts too.
Agreed. It depends on the wheel being used and the lug nuts as well, but 5mm is generally safe and maybe as much as 8mm, but by 10mm you're certainly going to need extended studs. No way OP is getting anywhere near 15mm with a slip-on spacer.

wmoore26

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
WASP
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1
Does anyone know what thickness of spacer can be run up front without changing lugs? Looking for a slip-on, maybe 15mm...

Thanks
I'm running 25mm on the front and 20mm on the back. All 4 of the tires tread sits inside the wheel wells and I don't get road grime slung onto the car. No rubbing either.

Wheel Accessories Parts Set of 2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TP2SJQV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sponsored

OP
OP

Trace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trace
Vehicle(s)
I've been researching this off and on and I ran across a thread where someone had used F250/350 lug bolts as a direct (but longer) replacement for the Mustang 14mm 1.5 lug bolts. Anyone know the part number? I can't find the thread. May have been on a different site...

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

Thanks
Max we have done is 10mm after we highly recommend getting longer studs. Normally get 6-8 turns on the lug

OP
OP

Trace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trace
Vehicle(s)
Nope. I want hub centric slip on spacers

Reactions: luc

Sponsored
OP
OP

Trace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trace
Vehicle(s)
The bolt on spacer is a connector and it creates tension between the wheel and spacer -and- between the spacer and hub for a total of 10 tension points. And the tension points are trying to distort the shape of the bolt on.

A slip on spacer has no tension points; the original lug bolt connections are still there so the spacer is getting essentially no tension distributed to it. It's just a spacer, not a connector like the bolt on.

Last edited:

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The bolt on spacer is a connector and it creates tension between the wheel and spacer -and- between the spacer and hub for a total of 10 tension points. And the tension points are trying to distort the shape of the bolt on.

A slip on spacer has no tension points; the original lug bolt connections are still there so the spacer is getting essentially no tension distributed to it. It's just a spacer, not a connector like the bolt on.
The only thing you have to worry about is installing them correctly. Follow the manufacturers torque specs, use loctite, don't use an impact, make sure they go on straight...

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
The only thing you have to worry about is installing them correctly. Follow the manufacturers torque specs, use loctite, don't use an impact, make sure they go on straight...
Agreed. I have bolt on spacers on my car, and have for roughly 65,000 miles. Install them correctly, torque them properly, inspect them periodically, and you're fine. Now, I wouldn't autocross or track my car with them on, but for daily duty, I've had no issues.

The folks that do have issues either bought low quality parts, or did not install/maintain them properly. Or they went too extreme with the size.

But as others have said, a 5-8mm slip on spacer is the max thickness for stock studs. Get some Ford Performance or ARP (if you can find them) extended studs if you want to go any thicker.

OP
OP

Trace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trace
Vehicle(s)
"I wouldn't autocross or track my car with them on"

Exactly

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"I wouldn't autocross or track my car with them on"

Exactly
plenty of people do

and guys off-road and toy with them using trucks that are way heavier and wheel/tire combos that are way heavier
Sponsored