NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
MT82s can be like the game of Craps. See rules below:

If the come-roll with high rpm shifts are all good (i.e., no lockouts, gear crunches or broken forks), then the owner of the MT82 wins! If the come-out roll is all bad (i.e., lockouts, gear crunches, or broken shift forks), then the owner loses (known as "crapping out"). If the roll is any other value, such as slow and easy, minus high rpm shifts, it establishes a safe point. With a safe point established, the odds or rolling that point again are increased.
Sponsored

Last edited:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The MT82 is junk especially the D4 version. For a few reasons. It's made in china
Well you're wrong that it's junk, and for me I wouldn't touch another Ford auto especially not in a performance car.

Your auto is only good in a straight line drag. Anything else it stumbles and fumbles for gear, has delay on downshifts randomly, can be even more jerky-jerky than my poor skills operating my manual, and doesn't have any more longevity to boot.

Nothing worse than paddle downshifting out of a corner and experiencing an unexpected delay in the shifts when you're having fun and driving spiritedly.

Just as many complaint threads about your auto as there are the manual on this forum. Including some real frustrating ones that the owners never seemed to manage to get solved.

You can be perfectly happy with your auto Mustang, but I wouldn't touch it with your money.

Signed, a very very happy mt-82 owner.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
You just made a real a$$ of yourself. BNight spends a ton of time on track and has likely used all of his car more than you've used any of yours. If he's got an opinion, you might not like it, but you can't say it's not an informed one. It is.

The condescending tone in your post is unnecessary, unhelpful and unwanted.

And don't come back with an attitude at me. I've been to the places and got the t-shirts. You'll just make yourself look more foolish.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
You just made a real a$$ of yourself. BNight spends a ton of time on track and has likely used all of his car more than you've used any of yours. If he's got an opinion, you might not like it, but you can't say it's not an informed one. It is.

The condescending tone in your post is unnecessary, unhelpful and unwanted.

And don't come back with an attitude at me. I've been to the places and got the t-shirts. You'll just make yourself look more foolish.
Thanks for the laugh. Glad you are so far up his butt that you think my rebuttal of his opinions is rude.

His track time doesn't relate to most of us, who never visit the track. He also just has 1 car, not the hundreds of thousands that have been made. He coulda got a lemon, we don't know.

I didn't say anything rude or mean with my reply, only my experiences with Ford autos and manuals. And they made the only auto that ever gave up the ghost on me. And the auto Mustangs have not impressed me at all.

Looks like you're looking for attitude and find it whenever you want! You can think whatever you want of him, but anyone who blanket says the MT82 is garbage is just a joke as far as I'm concerned.

He's right and everyone else is wrong according to you, got it!

Never mind the guys who track their MT-82 and what they say, only this guy has it right. According to you!

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
For another perspective I have a 2015 with the MT82 (53k miles) and I've been tracking the car for the past couple years (about 12 total track days so far). I run BG Syncro Shift II fluid and did have some slight high rpm shift issues getting to 5th but replaced the shifter with an MGW race spec which made that issue disappear and made the shifting experience better overall.

Haven't had any other problems. I don't think it's the best shifting transmission I've ever driven but I don't think it's terrible. and so far it's holding up well (knock on wood). Can't comment on the MT82-D4.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Haven't had any other problems. I don't think it's the best shifting transmission I've ever driven but I don't think it's terrible. and so far it's holding up well (knock on wood). Can't comment on the MT82-D4.
This is kinda how I feel.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the laugh. Glad you are so far up his butt that you think my rebuttal of his opinions is rude.

His track time doesn't relate to most of us, who never visit the track. He also just has 1 car, not the hundreds of thousands that have been made. He coulda got a lemon, we don't know.

I didn't say anything rude or mean with my reply, only my experiences with Ford autos and manuals. And they made the only auto that ever gave up the ghost on me. And the auto Mustangs have not impressed me at all.

Looks like you're looking for attitude and find it whenever you want! You can think whatever you want of him, but anyone who blanket says the MT82 is garbage is just a joke as far as I'm concerned.

He's right and everyone else is wrong according to you, got it!

Never mind the guys who track their MT-82 and what they say, only this guy has it right. According to you!
Pretty please, with sugar on top, keep going.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I didn’t have any trouble out of mine before the rebuild, but I was well aware of the reported weak points and failures, so I decided to try and improve upon mine while I had it out for a clutch upgrade. So far it’s holding up well, however, only time will tell if it was worth it.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
For another perspective I have a 2015 with the MT82 (53k miles) and I've been tracking the car for the past couple years (about 12 total track days so far). I run BG Syncro Shift II fluid and did have some slight high rpm shift issues getting to 5th but replaced the shifter with an MGW race spec which made that issue disappear and made the shifting experience better overall.

I have over 500 track laps or almost 1000 miles on track this do add up to wear and tear a lot. Also the car is on 27 000 miles and at this time I fixed leaks from the transmission 2 times and changed a clutch ones because of failed TOB. And my second TOB is showing signs of wear after just 2 seasons. Not to mention the 2nd to 3rd lockouts that are there from day one of the car. Otherwise yeah it's great transmission. And I would say I got a lemon if it wasn't for the fact that all my MT82 friends do have the 2nd to 3rd lockouts. Some even have barton's on there cars.

I'm not saying that the auto is better the A10 has it's own issues but out of the two trans choices the A10 will be A) better for a daily driver car. B) better for a drag car C) worse on a race track.

I do prefer stick shift car as long as we are able to get them however the only viable option is the Tremac in the GT350/Mach 1/Dark Horse.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize that's a weaker trans with a better clutch, right ?
how did you figure that ?

https://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-3160.Transmission.pdf

576 nm with the ratios of the GT350.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mt82-transmission-specs

"
Ford has acknowledged some of the MT82’s issues in seven Special Service Messages and Technical Service Bulletins. These bulletins are sent to dealerships, detailing potential problems and solutions.

Fixes to the issues include draining and refilling the transmission, replacing a variety of parts, and reassembling the transmission. The class-action suit states that Ford never notified consumers of the transmission issues."

"But Mustang owners claim these updates did not solve the MT82’s transmission issues. Even with the upgraded MT82-D4, the transmission still has many of the same problems. Luckily, there are a few upgrades that can help fix some of them."

Sure the MT82 is great transmission we ever suit Ford to let them know how great it is.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I've never had a single issue with the trans. these cars have a lot of things to critique but the 6spd is actually pretty good. it feels nice, its in the right place, and i do not baby my car at all.

i need new tires in the back and have 7k miles on the clock. at least for my 2022 MT82 is fine.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
how did you figure that ?
Put like a few pounds of boost to the 3160
Hollow main/counter shaft & webbed gears won't like it.
Other Tremec's are just fine.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Calimer is offering built 3160s, therefore, I can only assume that somewhere, some 3160 cars have suffered failures, otherwise Calimer wouldn’t see a market for them.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There are a few things that can be confusing. The 2011-2014 MT82 has really bad shifter issues and some issues with the smoothness of shifting in general. I owned a couple Mustangs with MT82 in that date range and they weren't as fun to live with.

The 2015-2017 MT82 has great ratios and shifts a lot more smoothly. I haven't noticed significant problems with the shifter, either. It's a little vague, but much better than the prior years.

I don't know much about the 2018+. Frankly, I think the gear ratios are terrible if you want to have fun shifting, so I'm not interested in purchasing a car with that transmission.

I owned a GT350 with the famed Tremec and it was good. It worked really great on track when it was hot. Flawlessly with that high RPM engine. Daily driving the 2015-2017 MT82 is better in my opinion, however. Smoother and shorter shifts. Better ratios for street driving and way better for launching the car. The MT82 also shifts a little faster, whereas the Tremecs I've driven (I changed from tech pack to track pack transmissions in my GT350, so I had the opportunity to drive 2 different Tremecs from brand new) those Tremecs like you to be a little more deliberate and shift more slowly.

Now that I have the FP Power Pack 3, I have gotten locked out in a high RPM shift with the MT82. So now I do pause a bit if I rev out the car. It's fairly rare on the street and other obligations have kept me off the track this year, so I don't know how it will fare on track. Frankly, I think that being smooth on the road course is more important than lightning fast shifts.

Anyway, bottom line to me is I think the 2015-2017 MT82 is good enough that I have no problem with it. I prefer the gear ratios over those of the later MT82 and the Tremecs for fun street driving. I think the MT82 is a great choice. Of all the unique features and equipment the GT350 had, the one thing I don't miss is the Tremec transmission.
Sponsored