What’s the bare minimum?

2004mustanggt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I just purchased and 2023 coyote and just looking for some information. What is the bare minimum that has to be done to the car for it to be safe if I would put an on3 single 76mm turbo kit on. Thanks for any information in advance.

My goal is nothing crazy, just 650-700rwhp.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Minimum effort or minimum cost?

Minimum cost would be to buy the book Maximum Boost and read it cover to cover, then you’ll know what the minimum is, and more importantly, why.

Minimum effort would be to start stacking dollar bills and find an installer/tuner with a track record of turning out well tuned safe turbo installs and give them whatever they ask.

OP
OP

2004mustanggt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Minimum effort or minimum cost?

Minimum cost would be to buy the book Maximum Boost and read it cover to cover, then you’ll know what the minimum is, and more importantly, why.

Minimum effort would be to start stacking dollar bills and find an installer/tuner with a track record of turning out well tuned safe turbo installs and give them whatever they ask.
As in I know have to do oil pump gears and sprocket. What else would be needed to run safe at that power level.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need oil pump gears? Idk.

Safe is a loaded term. One man’s tolerance for risk is not the same as another’s.

Aftermarket oil pump gears have had plenty of manufacturing defects and failures.

The main thing you need to be “safe” is a great tune.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What is the bare minimum that has to be done to the car for it to be safe if I would put an on3 single 76mm turbo kit on.
It all depends on how much boost you plan on running and how you drive the car.

But in general as long as you have good fueling (this includes both the fuel delivery and fuel itself) and good tuning you can run low-medium boost settings and be fine on an otherwise stock car.

Once you start turning up the boost then you got to start thinking about engine mods (OPG, headstuds, valvesprings etc.), cooling mods and drivetrain mods (clutch, drive or half shafts tires etc.).

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
650 rwhp on a turbo setup would be something like 8 psi and 7300 rpm shifts. I’d say WITH A SAFE TUNE you don’t need anything else to make it highly reliable. The problem is that nearly every aftermarket tune unnecessarily disables safeguards and failsafes. What makes it worse is there is no power advantage most of the time.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
I just purchased and 2023 coyote and just looking for some information. What is the bare minimum that has to be done to the car for it to be safe if I would put an on3 single 76mm turbo kit on. Thanks for any information in advance.

My goal is nothing crazy, just 650-700rwhp.
its not safe.
you are decreasing the life of the engine and increasing the risk of catastrophic failure.

there's just no way around it. you can mitigate that risk but safe isn't in the same universe as doubling the output of an engine without getting into its guts.

if you want safe buy a GT500.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
You’re going through the hassle of putting an on3 single to make 650hp? Yea you’re already starting out wrong.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If you can't afford a new shortblock out of pocket if you blow up the stock one, don't even bother IMO. 650whp isn't really groundbreaking or that hard for a stock engine, but you never know what wrench the monkey might be ready to stuff down your pants....

Sponsored

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Get the Ford Performance supercharger kit. 700+ HP and they'll warranty it till 3 years and 36,000 miles.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
If you can't afford a new shortblock out of pocket if you blow up the stock one, don't even bother IMO. 650whp isn't really groundbreaking or that hard for a stock engine, but you never know what wrench the monkey might be ready to stuff down your pants....
This is exactly why I hit the breaks on boosting mine. A was saving little at a time for boost. Then still would need to save for fueling. Then half shafts, then some wheels & tires. Kept reading about how long the trans would last or how something blew with only a few short miles after boosting. I had to face the music. I don't make that type of money anymore. I need to just appreciate that I have the car.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get the Ford Performance supercharger kit. 700+ HP and they'll warranty it till 3 years and 36,000 miles.
To clarify - the Ford Performance Supercharger Warranty runs concurrently with the Ford New Car 3yr/36k. This means the warranty starts as of the new car in-service date (ie:date it was purchased). So if Owner has 10k on 1 year old S550 and elects for a Ford Performance SC kit, the warranty only has 2yr/26k remaining, etc... Whichever term comes first (years or miles). There's no magical warranty angel that kicks in.

This was the Ford Performance Supercharger Warranty for S550 2015-2017's:
Ford Performance Parts Limited Warranty supercharger coverage: Part Number: M-6066-M8627 is warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship for 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres from the vehicle’s original in-service date as determined by Ford OASIS (On-Line Service Information System). Contact (800) 597- 6874 for warranty concerns or warranty claim prior approval.
And this is the Ford Performance Supercharger Warranty for the S550/F150 2018-2019:
Warranty Period:
Select MY 2018-2019 Superchargers Part Numbers M-6066-M8 (Mustang) and M-6066-F150SCK (F-150) (the “Superchargers”) are warranted under this Ford Performance Parts Limited Warranty for factory-supplied material or workmanship for 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres from the vehicle’s original in-service date as determined by Ford OASIS (On-Line Service Information System). Superchargers are covered by this Limited Warranty only when installed by an authorized installer on a 5.0L engine in the vehicle for which they were designed, i.e. the Mustang GT MY 2018-2019.
Contact (800) 367-3788 or [email protected] for warranty concerns or warranty claim prior approval.

The Warranty provisions would most likely be the same for 2020-2023 if there Is a revised doc.

This is the link with the Ford Performance Warranties - and ALL of the very FINE PRINT as to what is or is not covered... So be sure to read it in its entirety regarding the Ford Performance Supercharger sections:
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf

----

As others have said - with either a SC or turbo'd application, the bare minimum that has to be done to be "safe" is - make sure you have at least $12k set aside for a catastrophic engine failure, because there's fine print in every aftermarket forced induction modification. Tuners are only there for you to get your $$$$, they too have "fine print" and they're invisible and unreachable once your engine detonates.

So be prepared by doing research, do your due diligence by reading ALL FINE PRINT in hardware/software/Tuner statements and have a padded emergency fund before strapping major engine mods on and mashing the pedal...

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You’re going through the hassle of putting an on3 single to make 650hp? Yea you’re already starting out wrong.
Not everyone needs 1500rwhp right off the bat. For alot of people, going to 650rwhp from 400 is a huge jump.

Also some people like to start out low and give themselves the headroom for later to turn up the boost.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Not everyone needs 1500rwhp right off the bat. For alot of people, going to 650rwhp from 400 is a huge jump.

Also some people like to start out low and give themselves the headroom for later to turn up the boost.

I can’t read minds, I don’t know nor care what his goal is 5 years from now. I simply go with the information given in his post…2023 coyote, wants only 650-700hp while doing bare minimum……based on this an on3 single turbo kit is just plainly not a smart idea.
Sponsored