Ford Recall 2015-2017 mustangs for Backup Camera Issues

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
They do not need to remove that panel. Basically all they are doing is making the rear decklid harness longer by adding an inch or so near the rear speakers. The are cutting the entire harness and splicing in a new one, which is scary enough. I've already pulled the harness mount out so I don't get any chaffing. I'm going to ask if I can just take the harness in case I have trouble in the future. I don't want any splicing unless absolutely necessary. If it does need to be replaced, I'll do it myself too.
Harness.png
Thanks for the clarification Mike! Hoping to not get the worst encline guy of the team as this doesn't seems a big deal!!! I'll be there and watch!
Sponsored

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the clarification Mike! Hoping to not get the worst encline guy of the team as this doesn't seems a big deal!!! I'll be there and watch!
See the attached picture (not my car), the harness rubs in the circled area and causes breaks. About an inch in, the harness is attached to the body, I just removed that connection and let it sit loose, now it doesn't rub. I can't think of the term right now for the plastic piece that's taped to the harness that pushes into the hole in the body!
Trunk.png

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
It is possible that things are more complicated for the Vert versus a hardtop in accessing the harness through the trunk. That is what the Tech mentioned that interior parts have to come off.

CVCashmere

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
It is possible that things are more complicated for the Vert versus a hardtop in accessing the harness through the trunk. That is what the Tech mentioned that interior parts have to come off.

CVCashmere
Thanks Carl ! Will see later this spring!

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting this recall done next week the dealership has 2 replacement harnesses in stock. Did anyone get this done and have one one of the aftermarket TOMTOP windows CE units or even the Android units? Does the reverse camera have any issues, I'm hoping I don't have to install a secondary 12Volt camera to fix it.
How long does it take them to complete the job? I've got an appointment tomorrow.

Sponsored

RookieDDZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Glad to see this thread get more action. I'm trying to get the most details and try it myself. I don't have any issues yet, but I'd like to fix it early or be ready for it.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Glad to see this thread get more action. I'm trying to get the most details and try it myself. I don't have any issues yet, but I'd like to fix it early or be ready for it.
Just got to the dealership and was informed that they do not have the parts in stock. They said they will inspect the wire routing for chafing and if needed they will order the part. Ridiculous and another wasted day if I need a new harness but then it's my time and not theirs. They said it takes about an hour to inspect. I'll hang out for a bit and report back and things digress.

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
Just got to the dealership and was informed that they do not have the parts in stock. They said they will inspect the wire routing for chafing and if needed they will order the part. Ridiculous and another wasted day if I need a new harness but then it's my time and not theirs. They said it takes about an hour to inspect. I'll hang out for a bit and report back and things digress.
Actually if you read other posts on this, Ford is not going to REPLACE the harness. The harness goes all the way into the car. I imagine a lot of the inside of the car would need to be removed to do this. Not gonna happen.

What Ford will do is inspect and repair ("SPLICE" an added length to) the cable to reduce stress on the cable. I strongly suggest you also release (disconnect) the plastic tie wrap on the cable and let the cable hang loose.

Ford is also supposed to replace the backup camera when parts are available. Good luck to us all on that one. :headbang:

I have another suggestion. There's a "GOOD" possibility that one day your trunk won't open (electrically release) because of the cable issue. This happened to me. Had to get a 10 year old to climb in the back seat to release the 'Child Cable". Sooo, I now have attached a 6ft. long dog leash to the emergency trunk release handle inside the trunk lid. A trunk that will not open is PITA. So take my advice.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

wibled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2002 Thunderbird, 2021 Bronco Sp
I have another suggestion. There's a "GOOD" possibility that one day your trunk won't open (electrically release) because of the cable issue. This happened to me. Had to get a 10 year old to climb in the back seat to release the 'Child Cable". Sooo, I now have attached a 6ft. long dog leash to the emergency trunk release handle inside the trunk lid. A trunk that will not open is PITA. So take my advice.
:thumbsup:
If you look in the Owner's Manual (page 59), there is a spot next to the left-hand rear seat that has a place to put your key to open the trunk

"If the power decklid release does not
operate because of a discharged battery,
pull the rear seat left-hand side seatback
aside, insert the mechanical key blade into
the key slot and turn the key to release the
decklid latch."

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you look in the Owner's Manual (page 59), there is a spot next to the left-hand rear seat that has a place to put your key to open the trunk

"If the power decklid release does not
operate because of a discharged battery,
pull the rear seat left-hand side seatback
aside, insert the mechanical key blade into
the key slot and turn the key to release the
decklid latch."
That's for the convertible "only". The model I have is the Mustang fastback. For some odd reason, the fastbacks do not have that feature. The dog leash works well so there's no need to get into the back seat.

I also highly recommend creating slack in the trunk harness. See post# 92. It's not so much the rubbing but the constant bending and flexing that is the problem because Ford tie-wrapped (secured the harness) to the body.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got my letter from Ford saying the parts are in namely, the camera. It only took like 5-6 years for this but they did at least follow through!!

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
when I was at the dealer in April For oil and coolant change, supposedly they did the recall, I guess they only looked at the harness, because now my camera is working sporadically. I took a video in case it works when I go back. I guess I will call Monday.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
when I was at the dealer in April For oil and coolant change, supposedly they did the recall, I guess they only looked at the harness, because now my camera is working sporadically.
What I was told is they look at the harness then scan for codes, if no codes and no harness issues they mark the recall as done. BS IMO

LIPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/50th AP
What I was told is they look at the harness then scan for codes, if no codes and no harness issues they mark the recall as done. BS IMO
I was watching some videos on YouTube and it looks like the wires inside the harness break. I would assume they have to fix it for free since it’s an ongoing recall., but then again it’s Ford.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I would assume they have to fix it for free since it’s an ongoing recall., but then again it’s Ford.
I hope I'm wrong but the way I understand it, once they mark it as done any future repairs are on the owner.
Sponsored