Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I saw this and a few other GT500 HE cars bringing the big money this weekend at Mecum. I think a lot of it was driven by how these were advertised to buyers who may not have done a lot of fact checking. It seems like there were a lot more than 225 HE cars produced. Some have even speculated they may be one of the most common colors for 2022. Perhaps the 225 is just carbon fiber track package cars, but the advertisement may or may not be true. If it isn’t true, could be some upset buyers. Who knows, but stood out to me.

599A71BB-FB1A-40E2-88F3-947BCB7130BF.jpeg
The 225 number is the total GT500KR builds Shelby is doing as a post-purchase package. It has ZILCH to do with how many HE cars Ford builds.
Sponsored

Jason29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500, 2012 Boss 302 Silver Laguna Seca
The 225 number is the total GT500KR builds Shelby is doing as a post-purchase package. It has ZILCH to do with how many HE cars Ford builds.
That is interesting. You may be right, as I haven't followed the KR's. Since these were not GT500KR builds though being sold at Mecum, it is definitely misleading then to advertise and announce that to potential buyers in writing and at the time of sale. If these were traditional wholesale auctions, that seller announcement would be grounds for arbitration and vehicle return. I haven't sold with Mecum, so I can't speak to their arbitration policies, but it likely is an as-is arrangement between the buyer and seller. Like people have said, maybe these buyers don't care.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
That is interesting. You may be right, as I haven't followed the KR's. Since these were not GT500KR builds though being sold at Mecum, it is definitely misleading then to advertise and announce that to potential buyers in writing and at the time of sale. If these were traditional wholesale auctions, that seller announcement would be grounds for arbitration and vehicle return. I haven't sold with Mecum, so I can't speak to their arbitration policies, but it likely is an as-is arrangement between the buyer and seller. Like people have said, maybe these buyers don't care.
It is absolutely right. Shelby American is doing 60 KR builds per model year and 45 total for overseas customers. Some moron salesmen who don’t know their products from their ass jumped on this info and started telling customers the 225 number was in reference to HE models. This is so divorced from the truth it’s laughable.

Jason29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is absolutely right. Shelby American is doing 60 KR builds per model year and 45 total for overseas customers. Some moron salesmen who don’t know their products from their ass jumped on this info and started telling customers the 225 number was in reference to HE models. This is so divorced from the truth it’s laughable.

It is amazing how much misinformation is out there. People really do believe if they see it in writing online that it must be truth. As they say, ignorance is no excuse for many things.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It is amazing how much misinformation is out there. People really do believe if they see it in writing online that it must be truth. As they say, ignorance is no excuse for many things.
You would think potential bidders would do their homework on whatever they’re looking to buy and would know that the CFTP HE is not a 1 of 225 car. But as you say, if you see it spewed enough times online someone may believe it. For a lot of those bidders, $200k is a rounding error so they probably don’t care if it’s 1 of 225 or 1 of 2,250

Sponsored

Jason29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would think potential bidders would do their homework on whatever they’re looking to buy and would know that the CFTP HE is not a 1 of 225 car. But as you say, if you see it spewed enough times online someone may believe it. For a lot of those bidders, $200k is a rounding error so they probably don’t care if it’s 1 of 225 or 1 of 2,250

I agree.. If I had that type of money though where it is a rounding error, I'd throw mine away. :)

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I’ve noticed people who have a lot of money tend to be more frugal than those who don’t. I’ve met a few rich mofos at various exotic car shows around my area and I swear they dress like they shop at Walmart and don’t tip servers for crap lol. I’m sure there’s plenty of exceptions but people who have money didn’t get there by wasting it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This exactly. It only takes 2 guys (with a friend or 2 egging them on), a few beers and the seller and auction laughs all the way to the bank. Who cares, for most of those guys there it’s like play money anyways.
Kinda like the fella that bought the NASCAR Daytona for $1.3M, being egged on by the Mecum Handler, egged on by the audience chanting at him - all the while he's chugging away his Bud Light bottle.... wins it - then does the same with another classic right after, spending wild $$$ ... Hopefully the guy had those deep pockets and enjoys the rides....

But both Barrett Jackson and Mecum are fueled by emotions in the moment. There's MANY cars at both events that aren't truly 6 or 7 figure cars - BUT emotions and peer pressure gets some of them revved up to the far side of common sense.... LOL. In many instances when those cars are ready to be relinquished, they'll never recoup the cost of purchase....

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What escapes so many and they simply don’t, nor will ever understand. It’s not about the price of admission, it’s about the experience. I’ve never understood why so many feel the need to basically …. on how some one else spends there money. The hater mentality and justification comes out on every level regardless of economic class. I’ll leave alone that almost none of these cars are going down in value, its actually quite the opposite. These same experts consistently bring up values are down, economy sucks, we’re all ..cked. Somebody should have informed the bidders at Mecum, because obviously they didn’t get the memo.

Kinda like the fella that bought the NASCAR Daytona for $1.3M, being egged on by the Mecum Handler, egged on by the audience chanting at him - all the while he's chugging away his Bud Light bottle.... wins it - then does the same with another classic right after, spending wild $$$ ... Hopefully the guy had those deep pockets and enjoys the rides....

But both Barrett Jackson and Mecum are fueled by emotions in the moment. There's MANY cars at both events that aren't truly 6 or 7 figure cars - BUT emotions and peer pressure gets some of them revved up to the far side of common sense.... LOL. In many instances when those cars are ready to be relinquished, they'll never recoup the cost of purchase....

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Even more intersting.

I have a feeling that if I were to pick up a HE like that, I'd be reluctant to drive it. It might end up being something the kids fight over after I'm dead.
Blasphemy!!!! My MSRP HE CFTP vynil stripes just turned 5,000 miles last month. I drive it all the time. But, for $200,000, it could be yours and I'll pocket $130,000 after paying the $70,000 balance!!!!!!
Nice $85,000 profit!!!

Jack1.1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 HE, 2022 Shelby GT500 White
I'm trying to track the 2022 GT500s and so far I have around 1900 window stickers. Of that just over 700 are HE cars. So your right the Mecum number of 225 refers to Shelby Las Vegas not Ford GT500s. Very misleading by Mecum.
Specifically of 1915 cars 37% are Brittany Blue of those 51.8% are Base HE and 48.2% are CFTP HE. So since this sample is almost half the production ( @ 1915) you would think this is a pretty good sample statistically speaking.

Of all production I am showing:
Base 37.3%
Base HE 19.2%
CFTP 25.6%
CFTP HE 17.9%

Remember these figures are based on about half the production, final numbers will vary some I would think but not by much.
Just my 3 cents worth (inflation you know).

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm trying to track the 2022 GT500s and so far I have around 1900 window stickers. Of that just over 700 are HE cars. So your right the Mecum number of 225 refers to Shelby Las Vegas not Ford GT500s. Very misleading by Mecum.
Specifically of 1915 cars 37% are Brittany Blue of those 51.8% are Base HE and 48.2% are CFTP HE. So since this sample is almost half the production ( @ 1915) you would think this is a pretty good sample statistically speaking.

Of all production I am showing:
Base 37.3%
Base HE 19.2%
CFTP 25.6%
CFTP HE 17.9%

Remember these figures are based on about half the production, final numbers will vary some I would think but not by much.
Just my 3 cents worth (inflation you know).
Not so rare, so it seems. Isn't rarity one of the requisites of collectibility?

I like the idea of HE cars, but not so crazy about the false sense of rarity, especially over something as little as paint.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Not so rare, so it seems. Isn't rarity one of the requisites of collectibility?

I like the idea of HE cars, but not so crazy about the false sense of rarity, especially over something as little as paint.
You and your paint tax. Lol.
Just playing around. Like you (maybe more so for me), I loved the idea of the tribute to the original. Never a thought of collectibility just want for the HE for me. 5,000 miles and going strong. Hopefully my schedule will work out to get a few track days in this year.
Drive’em boys and girls.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
You and your paint tax. Lol.
Just playing around. Like you (maybe more so for me), I loved the idea of the tribute to the original. Never a thought of collectibility just want for the HE for me. 5,000 miles and going strong. Hopefully my schedule will work out to get a few track days in this year.
Drive’em boys and girls.
I know you are kidding, but seriously..... the concept of the HE car is to pay tribute, which it essentially does. What I don't care for is that most people buy these HE cars to garage them as some kind of prospect. The numbers pointed out above demonstrate more of a dime a dozen situation. Maybe not a dime, thanks to the perceived rarity, but nonetheless, a tribute to the 'ol housewife blue legend. I'm glad they made it so pervasive in the 22 model year. Maybe more like you will get out and drive them.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.