Sponsored

Do I really need an oil catch can?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Thoughts on a supercharged street car? UPR makes a driver/passenger side combo kit for cars with the Roush supercharger.
With a blower, my tolerances for funny stuff going on in the combustion chamber under boost goes waaaay down. A detonation event on an NA car is not at all likely to blow up the motor. On a boosted car it could matter a lot more, depending on when it happens..

That said, I'm not entirely up to speed on the ins and outs of the PCV system on a Roush supercharged car.
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'd love to see that hold up in court. They'd literately have to prove that the catch can caused a failure. Any dealer can deny work for whatever reason and most people just go oh ok. If anyones dealership is like that simply remove the darn thing before going in.
It wasn't the dealership who denied it but was GM corporate. The dealer sent photos of the engine bay iirc to GM asking what the thing was under the hood and GM basically said the guy modified the PCV system's function and he was therefore it for tag. Meanwhile it was an oil pump failure which the LS3 motors were known to suffer from caused by debris left in the block during milling.

And he couldn't remove it as the car died on the side of the road a fair ways from home and got towed to a nearby dealer. Shit happens and you can't always have an out I guess. But it is a cautionary tale for modifications.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I'd love to see that hold up in court. They'd literately have to prove that the catch can caused a failure. Any dealer can deny work for whatever reason and most people just go oh ok. If anyones dealership is like that simply remove the darn thing before going in.
If you have to go to court over a catch can, you already lost.

Which is why in my mind its foolish to mess around with the PCV system on stock car.

Here is the guy who lost a battle to GM due to a catch can.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I think maybe a little reality check is needed here. While Ford isnā€™t blind to the fact that many guys modify these cars, they have never engineered and built them to accommodate any mod of any kind, ever. They build these cars with the expectation that youā€™ll put gas in them, air up the tires and change oil as suggested. Thatā€™s it, period. If it isnā€™t in the ownerā€™s manual they donā€™t want to hear about it. The simple fact is your stock car does not need a catch can. Donā€™t you think Ford engineers would have included one if they felt it was necessary? If you think youā€™re smarter than the Ford engineers, you probably have a job opportunity.

On the other hand maybe your modded car does need one. But the moment you mod the car in any substantial way, as far as Ford is concerned you might as well have a Chevy. They donā€™t want to hear about your problems. You just need to deal with it best way you can.

All this may sound harsh but itā€™s the only way a manufacturer can stay viable.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Donā€™t you think Ford engineers would have included one if they felt it was necessary? If you think youā€™re smarter than the Ford engineers, you probably have a job opportunity.
Maybe. I mean, Iā€™m not involved in automotive but Iā€™ve worked on projects that me and the other engineers really wanted something and had it shot down because of budget or deadline constraints.

Not arguing for catch cans. Just sayin

Sponsored

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
Maybe. I mean, Iā€™m not involved in automotive but Iā€™ve worked on projects that me and the other engineers really wanted something and had it shot down because of budget or deadline constraints.

Not arguing for catch cans. Just sayin
I was thinking the same thing.
How many S550s sold since 2015?
500 thousand-ish?

If it costs them let's say 50 bucks per catch can, that's $25 million Ford saved by not putting them in the car.

Especially because, as was pointed out, it would have to be manually emptied by the owner. They would probably have had to come up with something that disposed of the oil in some way where the owner didn't have to do anything... which would cost more money.
Your average car owner doesnt even know where the oil goes.

Again, the argument here isn't that it's completely necessary. We're just arguing that it might not be completely useless.

Ford did it the way they did for the sake of simplicity and cost effectiveness.
And if we, the more car-savvy Mustang owners in the forum, chose to add on this part, and handle the minimal maintenance of periodically emptying the can, then power to us.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
ice445 has the best reply so far.

Forget to empty it or it becomes blocked say good bye to your engine seals.
Poof, in an instant !!!
The OEM's don't install serviceable catch cans for a reason.
In the early to mid 2000ā€™s, BMW used a crankcase ventilation system that included an air / oil separator with a drain connected to the dipstick tube. Kind of like a catch can, but you donā€™t need to empty it. This thing was notorious for freezing, and caused all sorts of problems depending on where the blockage was. Most common was on a cold start, the engine would literally suck all the oil out through the dipstick tube and hydro-lock the engine. Sometimes it would window the block. If you were lucky, the blockage was only partial and it would slowly suck the oil and burn it, creating a cannonball run style endless giant cloud of smoke trailing behind the car. I certainly donā€™t want that on my car.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The newer Jaguar Land Rover 5.0 V8ā€™s has an intelligent designed oil separator PCV system built into the right side valve cover. No mess no fuss zero maintenance, that is until the PCV dual diaphragms rupture at the 70k mark. Then the SC has to come off to replace (2) $40.00 diaphragms. $2,000 dollars later that intelligently designed OEM no mess no fuss oil separator isnā€™t looking so intelligent, at least for the JLR SC 5.0ā€™s

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know, Iā€™m often guilty of reminiscing about how we did things back in the day. We had a pretty simple but very effective solution. Weā€™d cut the rubber crankcase hose off where it ran into the carburetor base and leave about 1-1/2ā€ that weā€™d then plug up with a bolt or screw. All that was left was to route the rest of the hose out the bottom of the engine bay to the ground and let nature take itā€™s course.

Probably wouldnā€™t get through emissions today.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I was thinking the same thing.
How many S550s sold since 2015?
500 thousand-ish?

If it costs them let's say 50 bucks per catch can, that's $25 million Ford saved by not putting them in the car.

Especially because, as was pointed out, it would have to be manually emptied by the owner. They would probably have had to come up with something that disposed of the oil in some way where the owner didn't have to do anything... which would cost more money.
Your average car owner doesnt even know where the oil goes.

Again, the argument here isn't that it's completely necessary. We're just arguing that it might not be completely useless.

Ford did it the way they did for the sake of simplicity and cost effectiveness.
And if we, the more car-savvy Mustang owners in the forum, chose to add on this part, and handle the minimal maintenance of periodically emptying the can, then power to us.
Its not really a cost savings thing more of a industry standard. A 1 millions dollar plus Bugatti does not have a catch can. They could have easily charged customed a few extra grand for one.

I think there is enough data to suggest a catch can is beneficial to some degree. But in my opinion its not worth adding extra maintenance, complexity, and risk of warranty issues. especially on a engine that has port injection. Part of the reason I bought a mustang was the fact it still had part port injection.

Just about every single video or article you read about catch cans is centered around direct injection.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
With dual injection the need is negligible. So no, unless you are road racing.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
RT
You know, Iā€™m often guilty of reminiscing about how we did things back in the day. We had a pretty simple but very effective solution. Weā€™d cut the rubber crankcase hose off where it ran into the carburetor base and leave about 1-1/2ā€ that weā€™d then plug up with a bolt or screw. All that was left was to route the rest of the hose out the bottom of the engine bay to the ground and let nature take itā€™s course.

Probably wouldnā€™t get through emissions today.
Road draft tubes also left oil spots under the car and tons of fumes inside the car.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RT

Road draft tubes also left oil spots under the car and tons of fumes inside the car.
Likely but nobody ever noticed fumes inside the car, ever.

And when youā€™re 17 or 18 in 1969 nobody cared about spots under the car.

The more I think about it, Iā€™m thinking that many if not most brand new cars came from the factory with such a system up till around 1960 or maybe a bit later. I could be off some on the date but not by like 20 years.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Likely but nobody ever noticed fumes inside the car, ever.

And when youā€™re 17 or 18 in 1969 nobody cared about spots under the car.

The more I think about it, Iā€™m thinking that many if not most brand new cars came from the factory with such a system up till around 1960 or maybe a bit later. I could be off some on the date but not by like 20 years.
They didn't notice the cigarette smoke at the dining table but it was there. And it's very noticeable today.
Road draft systems ended in the late 50s because of their pollution. They didn't just leave an oil spot. They left the whole underside of the car coated in oil.

I have a perfectly restored 49 Hudson. I have had and restored multiple vettes from the era.

ALL classics of that era pollute bad. Fumes are an everyday thing from that era. Whether gas or exhaust.

They are better to look at than to drive.
Sponsored

Last edited: