Do I really need an oil catch can?

Jnaszty559

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2005 mustang v6
so I have a few extra dollars to spend on mods and wondering if i really need to spend money on an oil catch can on a 2021 GT premium? I only have 2,300 miles currently.
Sponsored

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I was surprised with the amount of oil in mine after 3K miles.
Which was from about 2K miles to 5K miles

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I am quite surprised at how much the motor would ingest without one! You don't even have to run it that hard and I have prolly a tablespoon every 1000-1500 miles.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No you do not. There's a shit ton of conflicting info about catch cans... of course most forum members will buy anything the next guy buys, just to have it and to do a "mod"... but IMO, a catch can is NOT a necessity on any street driven vehicle.

Of course this will set off fireworks and tons of people will add how their added catch cans caught *some* oil... or vendors will chime in as to how great their product is to move more product...

A catch can is like an open element CAI. Meaning, an open element air filter, with metal tubing, exposed under the hood (unsealed) isn't a CAI at all... it's exposed to under hood heating and high temps, therefore drawing in that HOT air through to your engine... it's a HAI, and more so when it's sitting in traffic being heat drenched. So to those who blow $400+ on one really end up with a HAI (in most instances). A true open element CAI is only beneficial to vehicles that can maintain and sustain certain speeds/RPM for long periods usually while at track events... sitting in traffic with your daily driver grocery getter that sits in the garage more than it's driven with that open element CAI doesn't have any benefits at all.

Catch my drift to the CAI comparison?

--- off soap box... but, go spend your bucks.... :devil:

Last edited:

94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
I have a dual can set up on my 21' Roushcharged GT, after about 800 miles both of them are empty...so far I haven't seen the "need" for it but to me it was better to have it and not need than to need it and not have it

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I had one and then sold it, yeah it catches oil and fuel and stuff but I'm lazy. Apparently im not alone either because there's pretty much always one for sale in the classifieds here. I think for the vast majority of people they add zero value.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
You are adding extra maintenance and complexity to your engine with no real benefit.

Don`t get to carried away by people here telling/showing you how much oil they found in the can. That oil gets cleaned off with port injection away ways.

Sponsored

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Also, consider what oil does to the burn characteristics of the fuel.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

BigR4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT 6MT
If you're willing to spend 50k on a car you love, I'd hardly call spending $160 on a catch can to prevent dirty oil going into your intake a waste of money...

I catch enough oil in mine that I'd buy it again if I traded in my car for a new one.

It's not some silly race themed add on that gives people percieved horsepower gains. It's done with the cars health in mind. I don't see how that could be perceived as a foolish purchase...

Its not a "hot air intake" either. Its not pulling hot air from the engine bay into your intake. What you have in there right now is a stock tube. The catch can is basically the same tube, but with a filter in the middle to catch the oil that gets caught up in the suction and prevents it from going into the intake , while allowing the tube to do the same job it already does. Its not pulling in any more hot air than your stock tube is pulling in presently.

Even if the benefits are minimal, it's not a thousand bucks... its two fill-ups at the gas station...

(If you decide to do it, just get the passenger side)
Sponsored

Last edited: