Sponsored

How do I reach this insulator???

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
I need to get this pin into the driver side fender insulator to hold it in place, but I have no idea how to reach it.
I can barely get my forearm down through the top under the hood, and it will take a good amount of force to get the pin through the thick insulator, and then through the hole. The pin has to go through from the inside and will not work the other way.

Anyone know an easy way to access the inside and with enough leverage to shove the pin through?

Inked20220219_200613_LI.jpg
InkedJC15150_LI.jpg
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I need to get this pin into the driver side fender insulator to hold it in place, but I have no idea how to reach it.
I can barely get my forearm down through the top under the hood, and it will take a good amount of force to get the pin through the thick insulator, and then through the hole. The pin has to go through from the inside and will not work the other way.

Anyone know an easy way to access the inside and with enough leverage to shove the pin through?

Inked20220219_200613_LI.jpg
InkedJC15150_LI.jpg
Seems that you have to remove the wheel liner, # 15, to do it
Btw, just went to look at mine and the factory only used 1 push pin at the top and the foam piece doesn’t seems to even have a hole in it for the lower one

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Seems that you have to remove the wheel liner, # 15, to do it
Btw, just went to look at mine and the factory only used 1 push pin at the top and the foam piece doesn’t seems to even have a hole in it for the lower one
yea the lower one is just in place, but the top pin is missing on mine so the insulator is not snug
seems like quite a fuss just to get that one pin in to to secure it... sigh.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
yea the lower one is just in place, but the top pin is missing on mine so the insulator is not snug
seems like quite a fuss just to get that one pin in to to secure it... sigh.
Are you sure that you have a bottom pin installed?
Mine don’t. Both driver and passenger side
Frankly removing the wheel liner is a 10 minutes job once you have removed the wheel

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Are you sure that you have a bottom pin installed?
Mine don’t. Both driver and passenger side
Frankly removing the wheel liner is a 10 minutes job once you have removed the wheel
oh I misspoke, there's no bottom pin on mine either, but the top pin is missing so the insulator is not stable. Do the pins on the liner come off pretty easily and will I need new liner pins for when it goes back to get it snug?

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
oh I misspoke, there's no bottom pin on mine either, but the top pin is missing so the insulator is not stable. Do the pins on the liner come off pretty easily and will I need new liner pins for when it goes back to get it snug?
Yes, on the wheel liner the pins come out pretty easy and you only have to remove the back , you can then fold the liner to access the foam piece and insert the new pin
You really have 2 types of pins
The one that is missing is a 1 piece called a Christmas tree that are easy to put in but very hard to remove. You can get some new ones at a part store
The other type of pins are made of 2 pieces/part and are very easy to remove and put back
If you look closely you will see a top and bottom part
Slide a small flat screw driver between the top and bottom part and lift the top up. You can them remove the bottom part
Basically the top has a straight pin that spread the legs of the bottom part when pushed in
Make sense ?

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Yes, on the wheel liner the pins come out pretty easy and you only have to remove the back , you can then fold the liner to access the foam piece and insert the new pin
You really have 2 types of pins
The one that is missing is a 1 piece called a Christmas tree that are easy to put in but very hard to remove. You can get some new ones at a part store
The other type of pins are made of 2 pieces/part and are very easy to remove and put back
If you look closely you will see a top and bottom part
Slide a small flat screw driver between the top and bottom part and lift the top up. You can them remove the bottom part
Basically the top has a straight pin that spread the legs of the bottom part when pushed in
Make sense ?
does the wheel absolutely have to come off? or do you think it's possible with the wheel on?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Wheel need to come out to have enough space to remove the liner
got it, thanks again. a rare response to a thread where someone was actually helpful.
cheers.

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
64082_I.jpg
Sponsored