Sponsored

How do you deal with this?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Wiper removal and installation. Get a puller, or at least try to pull the wiper arm off by hand first to see it it might pop off. I'm betting they are on there pretty well if Ford shows a puller.

S550 Windsheild Arm Removal.JPG

S550 Windsheild Arm Installation-1.JPG

S550 Windsheild Arm Installation.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
"Turn the ignition switch off"? Does the procedure have to be executed with the ignition switch on? Why is that?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You shouldn't need a tool to remove a wiper... BUT you need to raise the wiper arm first. If you leave it against the windshield, where the spring has pressure on it, yeah, it'd be really hard to remove that way.
In my experience with how Ford torqued them down and used thread lock, the tool is required.

Hereā€™s another experience from a U.K. user :

Mine were adjusted too far the other way from new which meant they hit the A pillar. used a bearing puller on mine to get them off as they were also very tight.
Iā€™ve just checked on my RHD car and you canā€™t lift the hood and the wiper at the same time so Iā€™m not sure how you could remove it in the up position ?

In addition I do wonder if the traditional ā€˜straight spline in both spindle and armā€™ design comes off a little easier than the ā€˜tapered spline spindle / no spline in arm / thread lockā€™ design that we have on the mustang ?

The straight spline design only needs the nut to hold the arm snug, it canā€™t slip unless itā€™s removed. The tapered spline design requires friction in the assembly (and possibly thread lock) - maybe you can get away without a puller for one of the designs but not the other ?

Just my ramblings based on what Iā€™ve experienced on my mustang - and we know Ford canā€™t even assemble these things identically ... lol :cwl:

WD :like:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Turn the ignition switch off"? Does the procedure have to be executed with the ignition switch on? Why is that?
Updated my post #76 above. They want the wiper motor to go through at least one on/swipe cycle and park in the off position, then put the wipers on and alight the tips with the "H" marks on the windshield.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve just checked on my RHD car and you canā€™t lift the hood and the wiper at the same time so Iā€™m not sure how you could remove it in the up position ?
Yeah, the wipers don't need to be up to remove them ... can just leave them flat on the windshield.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@GT Pony - thatā€™s great info thanks, I will double check that torque later :like:

The only thing where mine wonders from that spec is that my drivers side arm is now about 10 to 15mm above the screen marking. Thatā€™s the lowest I can get it so it clears the bonnet when raised. If I was fitting a brand new arm I might have got it a little closer, but Iā€™m stuck with the grooves in the bore of the arm from itā€™s initial fitment as they now limit the adjustment a little as itā€™s now in steps rather than infinite like it would be on first fitment.

Iā€™m guessing mine doesnā€™t quite line up with the mark due to accumulation of assembly tolerances for the wiper motor assembly, screen position and bonnet position etc.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@GT Pony - thatā€™s great info thanks, I will double check that torque later :like:

The only thing where mine wonders from that spec is that my drivers side arm is now about 10 to 15mm above the screen marking. Thatā€™s the lowest I can get it so it clears the bonnet when raised.
Your Mustang might be different than my 2015, but there's no way I can lift my engine hood (bonnet) with the wipers up off the windshield. I think the 2018+ S550 has a differemnt cut-out at the rear of the hood to allow it to be up with the wipers also up - ?.

If I was fitting a brand new arm I might have got it a little closer, but Iā€™m stuck with the grooves in the bore of the arm from itā€™s initial fitment as they now limit the adjustment a little as itā€™s now in steps rather than infinite like it would be on first fitment.

Iā€™m guessing mine doesnā€™t quite line up with the mark due to accumulation of assembly tolerances for the wiper motor assembly, screen position and bonnet position etc.

So the wiper pivots and arms are splined it sounds like. Not sure what you mean exactly in the bold/blue comment - "like it would be on first fitment" (?). Are the holes in the wiper arms smooth, and the pivot shaft is splined, and the splines cut into the wiper arm hole upon initial installation?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Your Mustang might be different than my 2015, but there's no way I can lift my engine hood (bonnet) with the wipers up off the windshield. I think the 2018+ S550 has a differemnt cut-out at the rear of the hood to allow it to be up with the wipers also up - ?.

So the wiper pivots and arms are splined it sounds like. Not sure what you mean exactly in the bold/red comment - "first fitment" (?).
@GT Pony To confirm, I defo cant lift the hood and wipers at the same time i.e. I couldn't remove the wiper arm in it's up position as suggested by @Elp_jc further up this thread, well not without removing the hood ... lol

I think the arms are cast with a plain tapered bore (cheaper to manufacture). The arm is soft. The spindle is hard and the splines on the spindle are tapered and sharp. I think the (very shallow) splines I now see in my wiper arm are created upon first assembly, I think the spindle cuts the spline into the arm as it is torqued down. In my 'opinion' the spline in the arm is way to shallow to be purposely manufactured like that :like: If anyone reading this has seen a brand new mustang arm before fitment they could confirm this one way or another.

@Pero - This is the tool I bought :

Draper 91251 Windscreen Wiper Arm Removal Tool, Nylon/A
by Amazon
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XTR2M82/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_64EZFbNYQFFGV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But there are lots similar and a few Ā£ cheaper. I just bought the one in the link as its a known brand over here (and matches some of my other tools ... lol).

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
@GT Pony To confirm, I defo cant lift the hood and wipers at the same time i.e. I couldn't remove the wiper arm in it's up position as suggested by @Elp_jc further up this thread, well not without removing the hood ... lol

I think the arms are cast with a plain tapered bore (cheaper to manufacture). The arm is soft. The spindle is hard and the splines on the spindle are tapered and sharp. I think the (very shallow) splines I now see in my wiper arm are created upon first assembly, I think the spindle cuts the spline into the arm as it is torqued down. In my 'opinion' the spline in the arm is way to shallow to be purposely manufactured like that :like: If anyone reading this has seen a brand new mustang arm before fitment they could confirm this one way or another.

@Pero - This is the tool I bought :

Draper 91251 Windscreen Wiper Arm Removal Tool, Nylon/A
by Amazon
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XTR2M82/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_64EZFbNYQFFGV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

But there are lots similar and a few Ā£ cheaper. I just bought the one in the link as its a known brand over here (and matches some of my other tools ... lol).

Sorry but that's ridiculous.
First the inaccuracies between cars.
Second, think of the little bits of metal left behind. Didyou find any ?
Third, go buy a new arm from Ford, it will be splined already.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry but that's ridiculous.
First the inaccuracies between cars.
Second, think of the little bits of metal left behind. Didyou find any ?
Third, go buy a new arm from Ford, it will be splined already.
The grooves in the arms are not deep, they are more of an impression, not something that would leave swarf. That bits my opinion. In hindsight I should have snapped a picture so you could make your own mind up :like:

With regards to my comment "If anyone reading this has seen a brand new mustang arm before fitment they could confirm this one way or another. " I wrote that because I am genuinely interested to know. Have you seen one or like me, are you just offering an opinion ?

What it doesn't change and what's not opinion, is that there is a great variance on how these cars get delivered with regards the wipers and their position - either leaving a large unswept area, hitting the A pillar or hitting the bonnet on the 18+ when lifted which they should clear.

What explanation can be offered for that, other than build inaccuracies between cars ?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What it doesn't change and what's not opinion, is that there is a great variance on how these cars get delivered with regards the wipers and their position - either leaving a large unswept area, hitting the A pillar or hitting the bonnet on the 18+ when lifted which they should clear.
A couple of owners on a car forum does make for a ā€œgreat varianceā€. OP certainly has an issue but honestly Iā€™ve seen very few reports of wipers on here so Iā€™d doubt it a major issue.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I don't think its a major issue and I'm not moaning about it :like:

It's an issue that's caused a few of us minor problems and it's one that's easy to correct, I hope the OP's issue is as easily sorted :like:

Edited to add I am also a RHD, as was another guy with an issue - maybe the RHD's have less tolerance with the initial setup ? If my screen was a few mm higher and the bonnet a few mm further forward (both probably 'unnoticeable' in reality) you could probably set mine up within the screen mark and it clear the back edge of the hood :like:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The grooves in the arms are not deep, they are more of an impression, not something that would leave swarf. That bits my opinion. In hindsight I should have snapped a picture so you could make your own mind up :like:

With regards to my comment "If anyone reading this has seen a brand new mustang arm before fitment they could confirm this one way or another. " I wrote that because I am genuinely interested to know. Have you seen one or like me, are you just offering an opinion ?

What explanation can be offered for that, other than build inaccuracies between cars ?

You're obviously entitled to whatever crazy theory you want. Hell, maybe aliens invaded Ford's assembly plans and screwed with a few, very few, cars...
But modern assembly lines do not press fit anything to cut splines..
The only picture that could prove otherwise would be a new arm from Ford showing a smooth bore. And that you will never find.
The only picture

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only picture that could prove otherwise would be a new arm from Ford showing a smooth bore. And that you will never find. The only picture
@WD Pro could call a Ford dealer and see if they have a new wiper arm assembly. Then simply ask the parts guy to please look at it and verify if the hole for mounting on the pivot shaft has spines or is smooth.
Sponsored