Sponsored

Road Trip worthy?

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I’ve taken the Mustang to Florida and back 2700 mile round trip with the wife. I thought it was very comfy but she likes her Crosstrek better so we take that instead.
Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Ear plugs? Just makes me want to make sure to never get my car that loud. It has to be functional. I like it loud on acceleration and quiet on the highway. So far H-pipe on stock mufflers seems to be doing this.
Been there, and it sucks - I had a 2013 F150, supercrew, XLT, Coyote....I had an exhaust shop cut the end of the catted Y pipe, and weld in a Magnaflow X pipe, true duals all the way back, 18" Dynomax Bullitt mufflers (glass pack, essentially) and turn down tips.

It was horrific. Sounded great on start up, cruising around town was okay, but freeway was really, really, really bad. I used ear plugs in that truck...turned me off to loud forever.

I sold that truck to a lawyer - he drew up a notarized contract, stating that I would fix the exhaust. I did....I had the exhaust shop weld in an 18" dual in / dual out Magnaflow muffler, and then install 18" angle cut chrome tips in place of the turn down tips...it sounded fantastic, was not a problem under any condition, no ear plugs required.

Tempted to do an X or H pipe suitcase delete on my 21 GT, but it's already loud for stock, and there is some weird buzzing / drone from the stock exhaust with the back seat folded down, so I'll probably leave it.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Been there, and it sucks - I had a 2013 F150, supercrew, XLT, Coyote....I had an exhaust shop cut the end of the catted Y pipe, and weld in a Magnaflow X pipe, true duals all the way back, 18" Dynomax Bullitt mufflers (glass pack, essentially) and turn down tips.

It was horrific. Sounded great on start up, cruising around town was okay, but freeway was really, really, really bad. I used ear plugs in that truck...turned me off to loud forever.

I sold that truck to a lawyer - he drew up a notarized contract, stating that I would fix the exhaust. I did....I had the exhaust shop weld in an 18" dual in / dual out Magnaflow muffler, and then install 18" angle cut chrome tips in place of the turn down tips...it sounded fantastic, was not a problem under any condition, no ear plugs required.

Tempted to do an X or H pipe suitcase delete on my 21 GT, but it's already loud for stock, and there is some weird buzzing / drone from the stock exhaust with the back seat folded down, so I'll probably leave it.
I get your situation, but that was mostly user error, to be honest. 1) Turn-downs ALWAYS create a crap ton of interior drone. Never do turn-downs other than a literal race car (never streeted race car) 2) Glass pack mufflers.... Hard pass on that! I prefer chambered or straight-through mufflers with some kind of actual sound deadening material in them :) Glass packs in my view just change the sound, don't reduce it 3) you could've killed some of the drone (if not all of it) with a J-pipe on each side. Google for examples. Works great on trucks w/ Flowmasters to completely kill highway drone.

As for the S550, my car has 370 miles on it and I already have the Steeda H-pipe. It's easy enough to bolt-in and if you hate it, you can have a shop weld the stock resonator back in. However, I've driven the car at all speeds (well, no higher than 120mph) and it doesn't drone in the 60-85mph cruising range in 6th gear. My 2017 F150 with stock exhaust and a Flowmaster 40 welded in makes a lot more highway drone than the H-pipe'd S550.....

YMMV, though, and if you did hate the Steeda H-pipe you can easily sell it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve done multiple 8 hour drives and the car (even w/recaros) was great. Filled to the headliner with stuff too.

Just park next to some texas grackles if you’re in the area and they’ll help pick the grill clean of bugs for you.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I went on a looong 1200+ mile road trip from Georgia to Texas, to and from. So, 2400 miles of interstate driving with some backroads bookending it. All stock suspension, 300A cloth seats. Ride was smooth and enjoyable the whole way. I'd say the only issue was, napping in it isn't exactly comfortable, haha.

I would definitely recommend bringing a gas can, though, for peace of mind if nothing else. I did have to use it on the last 100-150 mile stretch going into Texas, 'cause it was nothing but flatlands where I was driving. And, I didn't have one but definitely would want to for future trips—a proper spare tire. Sure, keep the little compressor unit as a handy tool (sans the goo), but it shouldn't be your be-all-end-all a thousand miles from home.

Those options aside, pack a smile (and maybe a pillow) and drive. 😁

Sponsored

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I went on a looong 1200+ mile road trip from Georgia to Texas, to and from. So, 2400 miles of interstate driving with some backroads bookending it. All stock suspension, 300A cloth seats. Ride was smooth and enjoyable the whole way. I'd say the only issue was, napping in it isn't exactly comfortable, haha.

I would definitely recommend bringing a gas can, though, for peace of mind if nothing else. I did have to use it on the last 100-150 mile stretch going into Texas, 'cause it was nothing but flatlands where I was driving. And, I didn't have one but definitely would want to for future trips—a proper spare tire. Sure, keep the little compressor unit as a handy tool (sans the goo), but it shouldn't be your be-all-end-all a thousand miles from home.

Those options aside, pack a smile (and maybe a pillow) and drive. 😁
You keep a filled gas can inside the trunk? Is that advisable?? What is your range on a tank of gas at highway speeds?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
You keep a filled gas can inside the trunk?
No. I took one for the roadtrip, in the trunk, for emergency use if needed. I don't cruise Atlanta with a jerry can.

Is that advisable??
As said, I took a can for emergency use—like being between towns, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but a closed shop every 10 miles. Which is exactly where I wound up needing it. Advisable or not, I'd rather have it than be stranded in dead heat.

I'll just say, if there's issue with a 5 gallon plastic can taken for peace of mind, don't look into the dude who ran the Cannonball run in a Mustang... 🤣

What is your range on a tank of gas at highway speeds?
Only picture I have of the readout was from early in the trip, but it claimed ~27 mpg / 400 a tank pretty much the whole way. I stopped for gas around every 350, and burped the spare can as needed. Texas' empty stretches crept up fast.
MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
I get your situation, but that was mostly user error, to be honest. 1) Turn-downs ALWAYS create a crap ton of interior drone. Never do turn-downs other than a literal race car (never streeted race car) 2) Glass pack mufflers.... Hard pass on that! I prefer chambered or straight-through mufflers with some kind of actual sound deadening material in them :) Glass packs in my view just change the sound, don't reduce it 3) you could've killed some of the drone (if not all of it) with a J-pipe on each side. Google for examples. Works great on trucks w/ Flowmasters to completely kill highway drone.

As for the S550, my car has 370 miles on it and I already have the Steeda H-pipe. It's easy enough to bolt-in and if you hate it, you can have a shop weld the stock resonator back in. However, I've driven the car at all speeds (well, no higher than 120mph) and it doesn't drone in the 60-85mph cruising range in 6th gear. My 2017 F150 with stock exhaust and a Flowmaster 40 welded in makes a lot more highway drone than the H-pipe'd S550.....

YMMV, though, and if you did hate the Steeda H-pipe you can easily sell it.
I completely 1,000,000,000% agree with all points - it was bad choices all around. This was 2014, a rough chaotic year for me, and I just didn't have time to fix it right for months on end, hence the ear plugs. Had I left the exhaust alone, I probably would have kept that truck....ahh, live and learn...

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
As said, I took a can for emergency use—like being between towns, in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but a closed shop every 10 miles. Which is exactly where I wound up needing it. Advisable or not, I'd rather have it than be stranded in dead heat.
So you actually ran out of gas with a 400 mile range on a tank? What possible stretch could there be over 300 miles w/o gas?

I'll just say, if there's issue with a 5 gallon plastic can taken for peace of mind, don't look into the dude who ran the Cannonball run in a Mustang... 🤣
Funny thing, I watched a Cannonball Run documentary yesterday and it was said many times (and shown in some film footage) that those cars had fuel cells installed in the trunk. Like several fuel cells. But fuel cells are considered a safe way to carry fuel vs. a plastic gas can loosely hanging out in the trunk w/ no ventilation? I'm even 'iffy' about carrying a full gas can in the bed of my truck. I'd do it for an emergency (e.g. hurricane evacuation), but otherwise, not a fan.

Only picture I have of the readout was from early in the trip, but it claimed ~27 mpg / 400 a tank pretty much the whole way. I stopped for gas around every 350, and burped the spare can as needed. Texas' empty stretches crept up fast.
I'm a Texas resident and Texas-born native. I've not driven out west often, but last time we went in my wife's Prius, which although great mileage, doesn't have a big tank. 400 miles is about the max we get in it also and although sometimes I felt nervous way out in the middle of nowhere, we actually never even remotely had any close calls w/o fuel. I haven't seen an expanse of more than maybe 120 miles w/o fuel. Now, if you're traveling over night, maybe that's an issue, since small town gas stations close at night... but we're too old for that shiz, we'll be driving 8-10 hours max and never overnight. If I can comfortably get 350 miles on a tank, should I really be worried?

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
So you actually ran out of gas with a 400 mile range on a tank? What possible stretch could there be over 300 miles w/o gas?

Funny thing, I watched a Cannonball Run documentary yesterday and it was said many times (and shown in some film footage) that those cars had fuel cells installed in the trunk. Like several fuel cells. But fuel cells are considered a safe way to carry fuel vs. a plastic gas can loosely hanging out in the trunk w/ no ventilation? I'm even 'iffy' about carrying a full gas can in the bed of my truck. I'd do it for an emergency (e.g. hurricane evacuation), but otherwise, not a fan.

I'm a Texas resident and Texas-born native. I've not driven out west often, but last time we went in my wife's Prius, which although great mileage, doesn't have a big tank. 400 miles is about the max we get in it also and although sometimes I felt nervous way out in the middle of nowhere, we actually never even remotely had any close calls w/o fuel. I haven't seen an expanse of more than maybe 120 miles w/o fuel. Now, if you're traveling over night, maybe that's an issue, since small town gas stations close at night... but we're too old for that shiz, we'll be driving 8-10 hours max and never overnight. If I can comfortably get 350 miles on a tank, should I really be worried?
Less 300 miles without gas, more of a sudden, "oh hey there's nothing here but cows." Around the northeastern border of Oklahoma and Texas. I got down to ~50 miles in the tank before I pulled to the shoulder. I very well might not have needed it—but being without cell service I wouldn't have known when the next station was, and I wasn't keen to test my luck.

Tank wasn't loose. I had a cooler and a cargo net holding it in place, with luggage on the opposing side of the trunk further keeping it upright.

To each their own. I did this trip in ~18 hours, being my first long trip from home. I felt better having that lifeline in the event I'd need it.

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT

My wife and I drove back to TX from CA back in June - we stopped in Roswell, NM on the way back into TX - that is a very long, flat, empty stretch of road - we filled up my Ford Escape in Roswell, and it was a nerve racking couple hundred miles - 105-120 degrees, hot, sunny, absolutely ZERO services. Tons of people out on the road, but still...middle of nowhere. Car did fine, didn't have any close call with running out of gas or anything, but again, it was HOT HOT HOT HOT and nothing for miles. I didn't enjoy that a bit.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
My wife and I drove back to TX from CA back in June - we stopped in Roswell, NM on the way back into TX - that is a very long, flat, empty stretch of road - we filled up my Ford Escape in Roswell, and it was a nerve racking couple hundred miles - 105-120 degrees, hot, sunny, absolutely ZERO services. Tons of people out on the road, but still...middle of nowhere. Car did fine, didn't have any close call with running out of gas or anything, but again, it was HOT HOT HOT HOT and nothing for miles. I didn't enjoy that a bit.
Exactly. My trip was in Autumn, temperatures were something like 85-95. Close to Georgia's summers—which also aren't conditions I'd be keen to sit in, waiting for a kind stranger to come by.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
The longest I have taken mine is to Las Vegas and back several times. Around 500 miles.

I think it is a very comfortable drive and I am also very impressed with the gas mileage I get even cruising at 80 on the 15 N. The car seems to get into a nice rhythm. I have hit 30 MPG on the trip if the numbers are anywhere close to accurate.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Less 300 miles without gas, more of a sudden, "oh hey there's nothing here but cows." Around the northeastern border of Oklahoma and Texas. I got down to ~50 miles in the tank before I pulled to the shoulder. I very well might not have needed it—but being without cell service I wouldn't have known when the next station was, and I wasn't keen to test my luck.

Tank wasn't loose. I had a cooler and a cargo net holding it in place, with luggage on the opposing side of the trunk further keeping it upright.

To each their own. I did this trip in ~18 hours, being my first long trip from home. I felt better having that lifeline in the event I'd need it.
I'm having a hard time believing there were 300 miles between gas stations, though? If there is such a route, I'd like to know it so I can prepare! I'm doing a Houston to L.A. run this summer (with various stops), so I'd like to know of any crazy long stretches before I get there! However, my nights will be spent in hotels and I prefer to check in no later than 9:00, so no plans to drive over night. It's a long trip from Houston to L.A. , but we plan to do it over 10-12 days with various stops including the Grand Canyon. My strategy in more remote areas would be to fill up at 1/2 tank, even if I don't think I'll need it.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Ear plugs? Just makes me want to make sure to never get my car that loud.
Yes, but it's not about preventing hearing damage. It's something I use to do when I would do 10+ hour drives to limit fatigue. I do it on long flights as well. Although, nowadays I use ANC earbuds instead of plugs.

My car is stock, so it's not loud for a Mustang. But even so, it is considerably noisier at highway speeds than my Volvo and it's not even a fancy Volvo.
Sponsored