Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Regardless of it being Corvettes, or Mustangs, or Porsches, only a small percentage of owners are members on enthusiast forums.

This is the largest S550 Mustang forum on the planet. Hundreds of thousands of S550 Mustangs have been sold. There's no more than a few hundred active members here.
99% of Mustang drivers could care less about clubs. It's just transportation.

Enthusiast Forums do not reflect the clubs IMO.

NCRS and PCA have their own Forums.

Porsche and Corvette clubs in my experience, have some of the largest and most dedicated members of ANY club in comparison to production numbers. And their dedication to their database reflects that.

The Mustang Club Of America will have a similar dedicated group of folks. They are probably the best source for the numbers people want.

They are also the ones Ford would likely give those numbers to. If at all.

https://mustang.org/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford probably has all the stats and Ford's engineers have the failure modes all caused mapped. They probably know the cost of reducing or eliminating each failure mode as well. They have probably done multiple cost/benefit analyses of different fixes to decide when/if/how to implement them. But unfortunately that is highly proprietary information that they don't want the public or their competition to have.

IMO the basic Coyote engine platform as created in 2010 or so is extremely reliable. There's a long history of it handling many miles, power adders, track abuse, etc. However, Ford continues to make running changes to the Coyote which may impact reliability.

I think that the direct injection and PTWA cylinder liners are the newest changes to the Coyote and thus they are the least known as far as reliability. PTWA started in 2015 with the GT350, so Ford has had some time to learn how to improve the manufacturing processes, part design, piston, rings, and their interactions etc. from that experience.

DI started in 2018, so it's been out for a few years. When I bought my 2017 GT in 2020, I still felt like DI was too new and I didn't trust it. Frankly I think DI is unnecessary complication and unneeded. Just another failure point. Really I see PTWA the same way. It's cheaper for manufacturing, but rebuild/reuse suffers. Engines become throw away or at least more expensive and difficult to rebuild.

Anyway, if you are planning to drive the car a handful of years and then get something else, none of what I typed above matters at all. Your warranty will cover any issues with the engine over that time frame. Based on my history of buying and selling cars quickly - I could have gone for a Mach 1 and I'm sure I would have been fine. Anyway I definitely saved some money going used this time around.

I hope some of this is helpful for the decision process.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What shouldn't be overlooked is this fact:
The pool of members here is so small compared to the pool of Coyote owners who either don't post in forums or don't even go online.

The Coyote isn't only in the S550 - but has been available as a crate engine and is used in many other engine swap or kit car configurations.

To say the Coyote or VooDoo has issues or isn't reliable because of *some* posts on this site is a complete misleading thought or statement when looking at the bigger picture AND how many are out in the wild, as opposed to this little piece of the web with a small number of owners to both platforms.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
What shouldn't be overlooked is this fact:
The pool of members here is so small compared to the pool of Coyote owners who either don't post in forums or don't even go online.

The Coyote isn't only in the S550 - but has been available as a crate engine and is used in many other engine swap or kit car configurations.

To say the Coyote or VooDoo has issues or isn't reliable because of *some* posts on this site is a complete misleading thought or statement when looking at the bigger picture AND how many are out in the wild, as opposed to this little piece of the web with a small number of owners to both platforms.
Spot on!

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I can only speak from my experience with a Gen3, GT with A10.

It has been flawless in every way and it has exceeded my expectations. And I can find fault in anything mechanical.

15K miles stock, and 5K miles now with a supercharger for a total of just a tad over 20K miles.

Engine is a marvel of power, stock and boosted, and has been stone cold reliable so far. The A10 is equally as impressive.

Have some failed? Of course, it's mass produced. But so have all other manufacturers engines.

You only hear of the ones that did, not the many that did not.

Sponsored

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
Been awhile since I have been active on the forum. Had 4 Mustangs so not stranger to them. In the past 3 years went from a custom '66 I had built to a Porsche and even a Miata but find myself missing that V8 sound and performance. When I got back looking at the forum I noticed a few posts on Coyote engines that needed to be replaced. My question: realizing more negative folks post than those that are pleased with their cars but curious if any stats have been collected on engines with significant issues that need replacement.
The one part that should be replaced is the opg/sprocket. I hear that’s a big weak point, especially if you get FI. But I hear ppl replace them anyway to prevent any issues.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Ira,
I am sure in the broad scope of things you are correct and the chances of a Coyote engine self destructing is rare however, it does happen and all the opinions will not change that. I was not trying to start a back and forth war on whether or not a person likes or dislikes the Coyote just wondering about how many folks actually have faulty engines. I had a Gen one Coyote and it did very well and most do however, some folks on this forum seem to have issues or engines replaced on engines that are not FI or heavily modded. Opinions will not change that so I was looking for more specifics on what the cause might be and trying to get away from opinions..
Pardon me for being blunt, but if you can afford a Porsche one would think you can afford an engine replacement on a mustang should you have any reason that the warranty is non enforceable.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Been awhile since I have been active on the forum. Had 4 Mustangs so not stranger to them. In the past 3 years went from a custom '66 I had built to a Porsche and even a Miata but find myself missing that V8 sound and performance. When I got back looking at the forum I noticed a few posts on Coyote engines that needed to be replaced. My question: realizing more negative folks post than those that are pleased with their cars but curious if any stats have been collected on engines with significant issues that need replacement.
Being forum member for a while I can say I've heard about 350 engines having issues and replaced. Remember seeing, reading a bunch of topics with engines having catastrophic failures and upset owners.

As far as just a GT goes, - there was a bunch of engines replaced due to infamous BBQ tick sound. Myself included. They later issued a tsb stating bbq tick sound was nothing serious and do not offer eng replacement anymore.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Pardon me for being blunt, but if you can afford a Porsche one would think you can afford an engine replacement on a mustang should you have any reason that the warranty is non enforceable.
Hello; I tend to have a different view on the more expensive makes. If I am to pay a lot more I tend to expect better quality and that to me implies reliability. I get that there are high strung levels of performance in some models which push the limits in some Porsche models just as there are the high strung GT350 and GT500.
I shopped for a Porsche Cayman base model until they went with a four banger and never planned to race or abuse the engine. The notion I should accept engine failure while paying a premium just does not fit within my personal way of looking at things.

I may have missed something but had the impression the OP has been looking at a more base Mustang GT and not an engine stretched to the maximum edge of reliability to get ultimate performance. The engines ought to be sound for the base GT's and F-150's.

Let me be more clear. I want the engines to be solid for a lot of miles and as far as I can know the great majority are solid and reliable. I was spooked away from an F-150 over the oil consumption issue I posted two links about. I walked from a good deal and may have made a mistake as there are no good deals now.

Here is a way to look at it. If as many contend the failure rate of the Gen III Coyote is very small, then Ford would reassure potential buyers like myself by releasing the numbers. The Porsche IMS bearing affected something near 10% of the engines. A 10% failure rate is too much.

If the failure rate of ford Gen III Coyotes is very small that ought to be a positive. If say 99.8 % are living well, then I would be confident in a purchase. I see that many write on these threads Ford could not afford to have lots of Base GT and F-150 engine failures. This seems likely. So why not give out the numbers if they are good?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
All of the other Porsche owners I met at the PCNA car meets were extremely careful with how they spend their money.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of the other Porsche owners I met at the PCNA car meets were extremely careful with how they spend their money.
If they were that careful they wouldn’t be buying a Porsche.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Careful doesn’t mean cheap. You generally don’t get in the position of being able to afford one by being bad with money.
Euphemism aside, I see little difference between careful and cheap. I believe they tend to be symbiotic tendencies defined only by whim of their own choosing. Nothing wrong at all with being able to buy what ya want, but I just want to keep it real. Most people are cheap about things they want to be cheap about. I was just pointing out why it didn’t make sense. (Because if you can buy a Porsche you can obviously afford to repair a mustang).

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
I read a more comprehensive article on how Ford tested the Coyote development engines to failure. I couldn't find that exact article, but this one will suffice: https://www.svtperformance.com/thre...bility-of-the-coyote-engine-read-this.994341/
If there are any structural failures, it's purely down to statistical variation as described in another post.
I haven't had any issues with the drive train at all. Granted I have less than 10,000 miles on the car, but also track it regularly. No unusual issues except for the MT-82 being a bit ornery when cold.
Sponsored