Sponsored

Euro Mach 1 Drag Race (Cayman 718 & GT4) ...

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine if the Mustang bonnet was light weight, I'm sure that would save 100KG right there. It weighs a bloody a ton! :D
It already is aluminum, you'd have to go for carbon or such, and that's very costly.
Weight isn't the biggest issue, it's transferring power to the ground...
Sponsored

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It already is aluminum, you'd have to go for carbon or such, and that's very costly.
Weight isn't the biggest issue, it's transferring power to the ground...
Honestly. Wow I had no idea, yep I guess carbon fibre would be the only option in that regard then. :)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Personally would rather have the cayman over the mach1 any day of the week. No offense to the mach1 crew.
I mean you could give me a free ANY Porsche and I'd gladly trade it in on something else. You can put 40 if them in a line and I'd not know one from another or what ones were from 2021 or 2013.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Lol how is this even a comparison? People are running out of cars to pit against each other I guess...

I love both cars (which is why I own them both! although my GT4 is older and slower than the one in this vid, so my Mach 1 might have a chance once it gets here), but I don't think anyone in the world is cross-shopping them or comparing their acceleration times, hah. No one should have expected the Mach 1 to have a snowball's chance...

EDIT: Ah just realized this was carwow. Now it makes sense. Dumb shit clickbait channel.

EDIT 2: Also just noticed that there is a regular Cayman included in the comparison (I misread the thread title). That makes things a bit more interesting, esp for the Euro market.

Last edited:

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I mean you could give me a free ANY Porsche and I'd gladly trade it in on something else. You can put 40 if them in a line and I'd not know one from another or what ones were from 2021 or 2013.
Porsche people are generally not familiar with mustangs either, so no worries there.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Personally would rather have the cayman over the mach1 any day of the week. No offense to the mach1 crew.
The GT4? Or the regular, base Cayman? I just realized the latter was even part of this video, which does make things slightly more interesting, especially given the pricing of these two cars in Europe (though of course it's a very different looking comparison in the US).

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
The GT4? Or the regular, base Cayman? I just realized the latter was even part of this video, which does make things slightly more interesting, especially given the pricing of these two cars in Europe (though of course it's a very different looking comparison in the US).
Definitely the gt4, but would gladly accept a base 718 over the mach1.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
I know it's the UK, but here in the US, the cheapest 718 base model on autotrader is $73,470
whereas the cheapest Mach is $54,509 (MSRPs are $60,500 and $53,400, respectively).

So to me, those two cars are in completely different price brackets, and to be honest I didn't even look at a Cayman, though I think they are probably great cars. And that's entirely leaving aside the fact that the Mustang is a true 2+2 with a real trunk, which some of us actually need.

The real comparison would be the two Caymans and a C8

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely the gt4, but would gladly accept a base 718 over the mach1.
Hmm, well to each their own, but as someone who has owned a 981.1 GT4 for six years now and had a 2015 GT for seven years that will soon be upgraded to a Mach 1, there is almost nothing that I can imagine a base 718 Cayman having on a Mach 1 other than obviously better handling characteristics as a result of weight and balance.

Daily driveability, comfort and ergonomics, reliability, sound, overall fun factor, cost to own (not just buy), trackability... I think the Mach 1 would win or at least match in all regards, and do so for $15K less. The Porsche does come with the brand recognition if that's important to you for whatever reason I suppose. Or if you just REALLY love the experience of a mid-engined car and its incredible turn-in.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Hmm, well to each their own, but as someone who has owned a 981.1 GT4 for six years now and had a 2015 GT for seven years that will soon be upgraded to a Mach 1, there is almost nothing that I can imagine a base 718 Cayman having on a Mach 1 other than obviously better handling characteristics as a result of weight and balance.

Daily driveability, comfort and ergonomics, reliability, sound, overall fun factor, cost to own (not just buy), trackability... I think the Mach 1 would win or at least match in all regards, and do so for $15K less. The Porsche does come with the brand recognition if that's important to you for whatever reason I suppose.
My opinion is solely based on personal preference.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The 718 also has build quality better than something out of a high school shop class.

I love my Mustangs, but when I'm getting into that price range there are alternatives.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My opinion is solely based on personal preference.
Well of course, isn't that true of all of us? Hah... actually maybe not, some people (maybe a lot of people) choose cars to impress other people, or choose them because other people convince them they should like a particular car... but I digress.

I'm just explaining my preference, to see whether there is a reason I'm missing for your preference, and/or you just disagree with my breakdown.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 718 also has build quality better than something out of a high school shop class.

I love my Mustangs, but when I'm getting into that price range there are alternatives.
I feel like these differences, while they are real, are greatly exaggerated. Not just in objective and measurable ways, but especially in how much they affect your day-to-day enjoyment of a vehicle... Either way, it's still a pretty different car. Personally I'd probably lean more towards a Lexus IS500 or something if I wanted the best quality and was cross shopping an expensive Mustang, but obviously the tradeoffs are quite different there.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

A Mustang is not a Porsche. Nice, yes, but not a Porsche.

It's sad...for an extra $100-$200 bucks to go over the car more thoroughly at the plant would be 100% worth the investment.
Sponsored