Sponsored

Euro Mach 1 Drag Race (Cayman 718 & GT4) ...

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
A base Mach 1 is 72-73k USD and a base Cayman is 66K(80k for an S) USD here in Sweden.

The road tax is also around 1000USD/year cheaper in the Cayman for the first three years.

It’s a hard bite to get the M1. The only reason I don’t have a Boxster/718 right now is that it does not have rear seats! But let’s see, I might keep my MX5 for one more year and see what the S650 is like.

Oh yeah the gearing on the manual GT/M1s are long with the 3:55 ratio here in Europe which sucks!

And gas prices are becoming a cost to factor in :(, the consumption of moon the Mustang is no joke when stepping on it(not saying cayman is like an Hybrid)

So one liter of 95 octane is 18:49 meaning the 98 is almost 19kr/l(2 USD and some change with the current exchange rate)
718327E6-4477-4E9E-A110-D0B129B54DD6.jpeg
Wow. I would not pay $70k USD for my car. It's cool but not that cool. I'm glad some people do because it's fun to see different things across the world, but I can understand not wanting to pay that price. With what you are paying for gas you have to be dedicated to still run a ICE car.

I too drove a MX-5 for 6 years, in fact I just sold it for the Mach. I needed the back seats, and I figured this was the better deal than having three cars

I didn t own it long at all. I have had several Porsches. I sold this 18 with 6K and bought the mach 1 a year later and had almost $20K left over. It was a PDK which was fast but I guess not fun enough. I think I also didn t like Porsche pricing on things, everything is very expensive from parts to service. Not sure if it was smart but I let it go. Only drove the M1 300 miles from dealer and is now snow bound. Porsche was Small inside, Hoping the mustang is a more enjoyable all around cruiser. Not tracking anything where I think the Porsche would be better. O well.
IMG_0661.jpg
Mark, I am very confident that you will find the Mach to be one of the best cruising vehicles around. It really is the 'ultimate' GT car if you don't want to get snobbish over the plastics in the interior. Hopefully you stayed with the 700a heated seats because they are awesome and super comfortable, at least to me
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Wow. I would not pay $70k USD for my car. It's cool but not that cool. I'm glad some people do because it's fun to see different things across the world, but I can understand not wanting to pay that price. With what you are paying for gas you have to be dedicated to still run a ICE car.

I too drove a MX-5 for 6 years, in fact I just sold it for the Mach. I needed the back seats, and I figured this was the better deal than having three cars

Mark, I am very confident that you will find the Mach to be one of the best cruising vehicles around. It really is the 'ultimate' GT car if you don't want to get snobbish over the plastics in the interior. Hopefully you stayed with the 700a heated seats because they are awesome and super comfortable, at least to me
yes the 700A seats... the heated/cooled seat are a must for me.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Ive been looking for one of those to drive. All the reviews talk about the lazy transmission and I wonder how bad it really is. Shame they didn’t do an interior update for it. Straight pipes said it was “one decision away from a cassette players “
I don't mind the slightly dated interior. It still looks really nice to me, and I know it will be comfy as hell, and super high quality... It has great sound deadening, an amazing sound system, and supports both Android Auto and Apple Carplay, so what else do you need really?

The transmission issues do bug me, though...

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn t own it long at all. I have had several Porsches. I sold this 18 with 6K and bought the mach 1 a year later and had almost $20K left over. It was a PDK which was fast but I guess not fun enough. I think I also didn t like Porsche pricing on things, everything is very expensive from parts to service. Not sure if it was smart but I let it go. Only drove the M1 300 miles from dealer and is now snow bound. Porsche was Small inside, Hoping the mustang is a more enjoyable all around cruiser. Not tracking anything where I think the Porsche would be better. O well.
IMG_0661.jpg
I think even if you were going to the track, the Cayman wouldn't be objectively "better". Faster? Of course, especially that GTS, but not necessarily more fun. And even as far as overall speed, compared to a base, manual Cayman, it would come down to the driver probably 90% of the time.

... That said, my GT4 is tons of fun at the track, and it makes me feel like a Richard Hamilton with how easy it is to drive fast. My old 2015 GT PP (haven't driven the Mach 1 yet) was fun in its own right, but you had to steer with the throttle so much as it understeered like a mother... I'm sure the formula is all but perfected by this point in the generation, though.

Anyway, I digress. Guess I just wanted to talk about track driving for a minute lol.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Anyway, I digress. Guess I just wanted to talk about track driving for a minute lol.
If one could just have the Cayman handling on a Mustang............ hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

GT350?

I feel my 718 handles a wee bit better than the Shelby. If I had to pick only one, it would be the GT350 due to the exhaust note!

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
A cayman would be awful hard to live with as an only car. If I got one it would have to be automatic so the wife could drive when I need to carry more than a change of underwear and have to take her suv.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If one could just have the Cayman handling on a Mustang............ hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

GT350?

I feel my 718 handles a wee bit better than the Shelby. If I had to pick only one, it would be the GT350 due to the exhaust note!
The 981.1 GT4 sounds pretty damn amazing, too... though they neutered the new one a bit thanks to European emissions, even though it revs higher. In terms of handling/grip, the Cayman (depending on trim) is almost certainly better, but again, that doesn't necessarily equate to fun.

A cayman would be awful hard to live with as an only car. If I got one it would have to be automatic so the wife could drive when I need to carry more than a change of underwear and have to take her suv.
You may be surprised how practical the Cayman is as a daily driver, as long as you don't have a family you're trying to lug around. The frunk is quite sizeable, and it has decent storage in the rear. Incredible visibility and comfort for a car in its class, though both are probably not as good as the Mustang. Still, you and the wife could easily go on a long road trip/vacation with a Cayman, let alone just daily trips to work or the grocery store.

... The things that make my GT4 a bit unpractical as a DD are the tires, the carbon bucket seats, and the ridiculously low ground clearance. All of which are problems on the most aggressive Mustang trims as well (like the Mach 1 with the HP, but hopefully not without)

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
You may be surprised how practical the Cayman is as a daily driver, as long as you don't have a family you're trying to lug around. The frunk is quite sizeable, and it has decent storage in the rear. Incredible visibility and comfort for a car in its class, though both are probably not as good as the Mustang. Still, you and the wife could easily go on a long road trip/vacation with a Cayman, let alone just daily trips to work or the grocery store.
Yah, I looked up videos on the trunk space. Its not near enough for me and configured weirdly. The Pre C8 corvette were excellent DD though. The hatch was HUGE. I had a c5 I drove for a DD for a long time.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yah, I looked up videos on the trunk space. Its not near enough for me and configured weirdly. The Pre C8 corvette were excellent DD though. The hatch was HUGE. I had a c5 I drove for a DD for a long time.
Total storage space (not including the rear seat) is probably very similar to the Mustang, if slightly less, but it is broken up between the frunk and the trunk, so yeah, that might be a problem.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I love any and all comparisons regardless how ridiculous.

I am a P car lover, and have a 76 Porsche which I love. My Bullitt was $45K before T&T, a new 911 was 100K+ and a Cayman S was $78K. As much as I love P cars, I love the Mustang and love the $30K still in my bank account more. PLUS I have a back seat, trunk, and hugely lower running insurance and ownership costs......

The 718 Cayman is an impressive car. Was it base or the S? I'm thinking it had to be the S to hang with the GT4, but the PDK is a huge advantage. Probably the best auto trans on the market.

Sponsored

jsullboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The Cayman GT4 is a great car no question. Where I am it’s $35k more to get similar creature comforts and it’s a 2 year waiting list. Used are selling for more than new. I owned a Boxster S for several years before my Mustangs. I had the flat 6 generation before they went to the 4 cylinder models. Handling was great it sounded good too. Mustang sounds way better. Driving the mustang just feel more visceral when pushing it. It’s more comfortable on road trips. I can fit stuff and people in it. The tremec - love it. So I don’t really care that it’s 1 sec slower 1/4 mile. And if I did care $10k in the aftermarket buys a lot more performance per dollar than aftermarket with Porsche.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
The Cayman GT4 is a great car no question. Where I am it’s $35k more to get similar creature comforts and it’s a 2 year waiting list. Used are selling for more than new. I owned a Boxster S for several years before my Mustangs. I had the flat 6 generation before they went to the 4 cylinder models. Handling was great it sounded good too. Mustang sounds way better. Driving the mustang just feel more visceral when pushing it. It’s more comfortable on road trips. I can fit stuff and people in it. The tremec - love it. So I don’t really care that it’s 1 sec slower 1/4 mile. And if I did care $10k in the aftermarket buys a lot more performance per dollar than aftermarket with Porsche.
I just can't stop thinking and laughing about what Jeremy Clarkson calls the Cayman... The Cockster. 🐔 Of course he hates all things Porsche.🐓

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love any and all comparisons regardless how ridiculous.

I am a P car lover, and have a 76 Porsche which I love. My Bullitt was $45K before T&T, a new 911 was 100K+ and a Cayman S was $78K. As much as I love P cars, I love the Mustang and love the $30K still in my bank account more. PLUS I have a back seat, trunk, and hugely lower running insurance and ownership costs......

The 718 Cayman is an impressive car. Was it base or the S? I'm thinking it had to be the S to hang with the GT4, but the PDK is a huge advantage. Probably the best auto trans on the market.
It was a base... Among the many reasons these videos are so foolish, though, is that there's a million variables that they only sort of gloss over. Obviously in most real world performance situations, the base Cayman couldn't hold the GT4's jock strap (and if it was a manual and grip was the same, it probably wouldn't hold up to the Mach 1, either), but this was manual v PDK on a cold (and wet?) day with tires that need to be warm on the GT4. Not to mention the obvious driver differences. AND the GT4 was being rev soft-limited, apparently.

The base Cayman even out-braked the GT4 in the one silly little braking test they did. Garbage.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Euro Mach 1 is detuned!!!!

Porsche's are hard to compete with.
True when price is not factor.

Let's talk MSRPs.

$141k sticker for that GT4 and you can bet they want $50k over sticker.

Add a $10k supercharger to the Mach 1 and it's goodbye Porsches. Until they hit the curves anyway. :devil:

Bang for the buck, no one can take the Mustang. IMO
Sponsored

Last edited: