Sponsored

2016 or 2019 GT350?

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
So I’m narrowing down my choices and found two low mileage Gt350’s in my two favorite colors avalanche gray (‘16) and velocity blue (‘19). Both have less than 3k miles and appear to be in flawless condition. Are the 19’s that much better? Should I just look for a ‘20 instead? 2019 has the CF panel, HP, and swing, while the 2016 has the small standard wing and that’s about it. Are the engines identical through the entire run?
Sponsored

Last edited:

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
What's the price difference between the two?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
The 16 won’t have the tranny and diff coolers unless it’s a track pack model.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
The 16 won’t have the tranny and diff coolers unless it’s a track pack model.
Anything obvious on the 16 car that shows it’s a TP?

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Wow, I had no idea the 350 had oil
Consumption issues. Thanks for the information! Looks like I’m gonna narrow my search for ‘19 and up.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Anything obvious on the 16 car that shows it’s a TP?
If it has the little itty bitty lip spoiler then it is tech pack and won't have the coolers. If it has the larger spoiler then it will have the track pack.

As far as oil consumption goes, some people have had issues and most have not. Regardless I would probably go for the newer car simply because of the warranty.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Warrant is the key for me. The basic warrant on the '16 has expired and you won't be able to get a Ford ESP on it. If you are going to keep the car look into purchasing a 19 or newer and an ESP from one of the "usual suspects." Just do a search on ESP on the forum and the cheapest few will pop up.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
Warrant is the key for me. The basic warrant on the '16 has expired and you won't be able to get a Ford ESP on it.
Unless you get extremely lucky like me - I have a '16 and the warranty started last May and I have the PremiumCare ESP until 2029 - I doubt there are too many new 16s sitting around.

OP getting an ESP will depend on the In-Service date of the original warranty, wouldn't it?
Also, can't you get a used car ESP? I thought I saw that here somewhere. It requires an inspection of some sort, but still doable under certain circumstances.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Unless you get extremely lucky like me - I have a '16 and the warranty started last May and I have the PremiumCare ESP until 2029 - I doubt there are too many new 16s sitting around.

OP getting an ESP will depend on the In-Service date of the original warranty, wouldn't it?
Also, can't you get a used car ESP? I thought I saw that here somewhere. It requires an inspection of some sort, but still doable under certain circumstances.
I looked into it and the ‘16 does qualify for Ford ESP but it requires an inspection done by a Ford dealer before purchase. It sounds like the improved piston ring design Is worth having so I’ll just stick to 19+.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
I looked into it and the ‘16 does qualify for Ford ESP but it requires an inspection done by a Ford dealer before purchase. It sounds like the improved piston ring design Is worth having so I’ll just stick to 19+.
Yeah definitely do the '19 if you're really worried about the piston ring design and/or don't want the hassle of the inspection for an ESP. Personally, I'm not at all worried about the piston ring design, and also not seeing any oil consumption issues so far (knock wood) - If the engine goes toes up I'll get a gen 2 replacement anyway. Since I'm not going to race mine the extra coolers, etc. aren't a huge loss for me, but with that said, if I were in your shoes looking at a '16 or a '19, I'd probably go with the '19 too depending on the deal. Either way it's a GT350, which are awesome for sure.

OP
OP

BrakeFade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E39 M5, '21 CFTP GT500
Yeah definitely do the '19 if you're really worried about the piston ring design and/or don't want the hassle of the inspection for an ESP. Personally, I'm not at all worried about the piston ring design, and also not seeing any oil consumption issues so far (knock wood) - If the engine goes toes up I'll get a gen 2 replacement anyway. Since I'm not going to race mine the extra coolers, etc. aren't a huge loss for me, but with that said, if I were in your shoes looking at a '16 or a '19, I'd probably go with the '19 too depending on the deal. Either way it's a GT350, which are awesome for sure.
Yeah, I need warranty. I replaced my clutch/flywheel/driveshaft in my M5 recently and my surgically repaired knee hated me for at least a week after that. Getting too old for that type of “fun”. :D

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Just to clarify, the ring redesign happened early, not in 19. Not sure of the time from but as early as 16. I would go for the 19 but that being said, I had a 16 prior to my R and had zero issues, as many will tell you.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Warrant is the key for me. The basic warrant on the '16 has expired and you won't be able to get a Ford ESP on it. If you are going to keep the car look into purchasing a 19 or newer and an ESP from one of the "usual suspects." Just do a search on ESP on the forum and the cheapest few will pop up.
You absolutely can get a Ford ESP on the 16 for up to 6 years of coverage from the day you buy the plan.
Sponsored