Sponsored

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
Typical response from an "Auto" guy, "I drove manuals all my life, but...."
LOL! I still drive a manual. In fact, I'm in my 5 speed manual 98 F150 today. But, I'll take the auto in the Mustang over the manual all day long!
Sponsored

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
When people say they like to feel "connected" with their cars 🙄 -
4zor203m4m121.jpg

For the record, I have a built 6R80 in my Shelby, and a manual transmission in my 1986 Dodge D250. So I'll gladly pick on manual drivers that take themselves to seriously 😘

Last edited:

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
I made a thread about this recently. Basically, it’s the traffic in Bay Area that will kill me if I drove the manual. I cannot shift a thousand times in a 60 minute ride peak hour ride. This was the biggest motivation for me. Also that eventually my wife will take the mustang and I’ll drive something else and she would have the same problem even though she knows stick shift.

If I were in a less populated city where the roads were not full, I probably would have gotten the Tremec on Mach 1. On any other mustang, I probably still get an A10.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Like some one else said, I got an AT because I wanted one. Been there, done that with manuals. Many people black our chrome, because the chrome-look, which I like, is passe. Dare I say that manual trans are passe ?? I think I will, because they soon will be.
They won't be passe, they will be from the past.

Paris MkVI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible, 2015 Escape 2.0 Titanium
Vehicle Showcase
Manual gearboxes will be gone soon. All my Mustangs except the first one have been manuals.

Autos are faster and the tech has come a long way.

I drive a manual because for me, it's fun. Simple. When they're gone, I'll drive an auto and have different fun. Simple.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
Manual gearboxes will be gone soon. All my Mustangs except the first one have been manuals.

Autos are faster and the tech has come a long way.

I drive a manual because for me, it's fun. Simple. When they're gone, I'll drive an auto and have different fun. Simple.
There is a good chance the next one won’t even have gears.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
"My opinion is better than your opinion".
🙂
Where is that thread? Oh wait, I'm in the middle of it...!!!!
(Funny Stuff)
I agree with your opinion, except for one thing. You're wrong! Only mine is the correct opinion. 😃

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
I was part of the 1% who bought a new manual car in 2021. Yes just 1% of new cars sold in America in 2021 were manual.

I bought it because the 392 challenger offers a good manual trans and I wanted the experience that only a stick shift can offer. That being said I don’t think I’m better because I bought one. Autos are just fine and definitely faster. That being said I drove a 2020 mustang 5.0 ten speed and honestly I found it boring. I’m sorry but 10 gears is just too much, it’s shifting all the time and just ruined the feel for me. I have driven a 2017 5.0 with the 6 speed auto and I thought that was more fun, although neither are as fun as my 392 manual. However that is my opinion and I’m sure others feel different.

89E0F712-D6D2-438A-BE05-0A0B06E84EC6.jpeg

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Yeah, and the manual responses are typical too. More fun factor, more connected to the car etc... Both of those things are subjective. It's more fun to pay the same amount of money and buy a car that is slower, doesn't pull as hard etc.? Well, not to me it isn't. I test drove a manual GT before I bought my auto and the manual isn't in the auto's league. The auto is more fun to me because it has far superior performance.
Same price? Last time I checked I thought the A10 was a $1,595 option. Far superior is a bit of a stretch too. A lot depends on the drivers. Both stock 2018’s on drag radials (M6 on 325’s, A10 on 305’s), and we’ve both been down the track a few times. While I may have lost in the 1/4, notice the 60’ and 1/8 (I had him by a bumper at the 1/8). Same price? Nope. Faster? No doubt. Far superior? Definitely debatable.

2EFA0D42-5CB3-4886-9AA4-7D6E12E8421A.jpeg

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I have always preferred a manual in my sportscars. I broke my back 5 years ago and couldn't work the clutch for long periods of time, so I got ride of sportscar.

I can NOT bring myself to buy an automatic "sportscar" because it would defeat the link I have with each car and of learning each car's limits and quirks, etc. You loose the feel and when it winter time and my "sportscar" is sitting in the garage, I ache to drive it... because I want that feel.

The degree and level of involvement is just sterile w/automatic...

If Ford would offer the GT500's DCT as an option ($8k+), then you have the best of both world and have true neutral, and real clutches/feel, etc..

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
In my life, there has been a time for manuals. This 10spd is the tranny that changed that.
I can be lazy in city traffic when I want. And obliterate most any manual in real world stop light show downs and 0-100 for that matter. It's much faster shifting than a manual and is great in the twisties too. And it's a real star at the drag strip.

Unlike a few who have responded to this question, My manhood is not defined by my choice of transmissions. 🤭
I just wish they move away from paddles and put buttons where I added red dots. on the wheel for down and upshifts.
sterer.jpg

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I just wish they move away from paddles and put buttons where I added red dots. on the wheel for down and upshifts.
sterer.jpg
You would constantly be accidentally shifting. Also if you have to move your hands on the wheel the buttons could be hard to reach. Paddles can be huge.

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
Yeah, and the manual responses are typical too. More fun factor, more connected to the car etc... Both of those things are subjective. It's more fun to pay the same amount of money and buy a car that is slower, doesn't pull as hard etc.? Well, not to me it isn't. I test drove a manual GT before I bought my auto and the manual isn't in the auto's league. The auto is more fun to me because it has far superior performance. I feel plenty connected to the car without having to push a clutch in and out and move a stick. Like I said in my first post, I used to be a diehard manual guy but that was when they were the better performers. When that script flipped and favored the autos, I came on in to the modern world and embraced that. Tell you what, present day manaul diehards, why don't you boys just go all the way with this thing. First of all, get rid of your cell phones and go back to having just a home phone and make SURE it is a rotary dial. Why? Because real men rotary dial boys! You will be more involved in the call. It will be more fun and engaging to rotary dial. You'll feel more connected to the person you are calling when you put that effort in to twirl that thing! And, go back to a 4:3 picture tube TV with no remote control. Why? Because who needs high def anyway? Older is better! And, when you get up and turn that dial to find a channel you will feel more connected to the program you are watching. It will be more fun as you engage more with your T.V. Finally, get rid of your microwaves. Real men don't NUKE! They bake or broil their TV dinners slower for that full 40 min. They just taste better when you manual cook the old fashioned way. 😅
The "automatic is faster" thing never made sense to me. Unless you bought it for personal records/achievements, there will always be somebody faster so what good is that "better performance"? The 10spd guys who used to beat up on me can't do anything with me now and statistically most of them never will...sure that 10% can buy the same setup and be a little faster...but then over here at our Mexico spot, we have no shortage of DEEP 1XXXhp GTRs that come out every single night of the week...to a couple UGR 2R lambos....what then? That auto is better, king of the hill strut only goes but so far...So I say just get what you like and enjoy. And I chose manual. More engaging and more fun imo.
Sponsored