Sponsored

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I chose the manual because of the cool shift knobs…kidding. I just like the sound of the exhaust going through the gears, especially with the AE.
A4811678-FBA1-459C-8CCB-CFD4A9B3E3A1.jpeg

And because of the Bullit Chase Scene, just listen to that movie generated sound. Lol

Sponsored

Last edited:

Airport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Both my GT and C5 are manuals. Throughout the 80’s, 90’s & 2000’s my wife and I bought cars with manual transmissions. When it was time to get a new car we sold the existing car ourselves. They sold fast and we always got our price. The buyers who were looking for a stick only bought used cars from private owners. It seemed to work for us and as long as manual transmissions are being installed in cars we will buy them. They bring fun to driving.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I bought an auto because i drag race, and auto is obviously quicker.

Rynoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1 Premium, 6spd, GBM, chas N0121
I went with a manual in my Mach 1 order. That transmission is incredible after test driving it! I have also never seen a review to this day where the tester has a manual Mach and has said anything negative about it (or doesn’t grin from ear to ear).

Edit: sorry Australia, I know you guys got screwed here with Fords empty promises.

I currently have a Camaro SS with the 8spd auto and love the car but feel it’s time for a change. My first car was an 87 mustang GT with a manual and loved it. I can’t speak on the MT82 but the Tremec in the Mach 1/GT350 is light years ahead of the GT I test drove in 2013!

side note: A big thing for me is the mustang has kept the manual handbrake which goes hand-in-hand with a manual trans. Camaros have the electronic e-brakes which take away a feeling from the car IMO.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Sound and driver engagement For my daily ride home. Won't be racing mine and will drive spirited and in my area with all the twists it makes the drive home enjoyable instead of automatic mundane. If i was racing I would have went automatic.

Sponsored

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
I got my license in manual but every car has been a practical sensible car with auto.

So therefore I'm craving manuals all the time.

It's a pity auto are faster, but driving a manual is much more fun, in a mustang it's even better

Manual all the way for me, also auto rev matching brings a smile to my face (I cannot for the life of me manually rev match)

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
In my life, there have been times for a manual. This car w/10spd and Torsen 3.55s changed that for me.
I can be lazy in city traffic when I want. And obliterate most any manual in real world stop light show downs and 0-100 for that matter. It's much faster shifting than a manual and is great in the twisties too. And it's a real star at the drag strip.

Unlike a few who have responded to this question, My manhood is not defined by my choice of transmissions. 🤭

Last edited:

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
As the OP, I'm going to chime in here. Certainly we want to know what others are doing, because yes, we want to feel "right" or at the very least get confirmation that we didn't make a bad choice. However, my point of starting this thread was to explain my motivations for choosing a 6spd manual, while also wanting to hear from those who chose autos as to why they did.....

Pretty much all of the auto responses were the typical ones I expected. No big surprises. Orthopedic issues, age, driving in heavy traffic daily, and "wife doesn't know how to drive stick." Happy to report my orthopedic issues are mild ("knock on wood"), I'm 46 -- so borderline old, but not old yet IMO, I drive 1.6 miles to work and the Mustang will only rarely be taken there (not parking my nice car in a high school parking lot -- because that's where I work), and my wife PREFERS the manual after I taught her how to drive one!!

I realize it's a skill whose importance is becoming less and less, but no one who calls themself a car enthusiast can NOT know how to drive a manual. My wife has become a car enthusiast by way of my influence, and I told her as such. You can't be a 'car nut' and not know how to drive a stick (and do it well). If that statement causes some butthurt, I'm not sorry, haha. Car enthusiasts know how to drive stick. Unless there's a physical handicap that prevents it (and I don't just mean 'sore knees' or 'tired legs').

It doesn't mean you cannot OWN an automatic and still be a car enthusiast.... but if you own it because you just don't know how to drive a manual, you gotta turn in your enthusiast card. Sorry. DNQ.

As for my feelings thus far, I'm not convinced by the A10 fans who insist it's somehow just as good as a dual clutch trans. It's still a torque converter slushbox. It's just a very good, modern one. I'd be more likely to choose an "auto" if it were a dual clutch, which is essentially a manual trans w/o a clutch and with an automatic computer-shifted mode.
It wouldn't surprise me, fast fwd 20 Years, then cars will be available in a full auto and a semi auto/some new hybrid solution with manual being a old and ancient technology
Just like eventually petrol cars will no longer exist

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
I bought the 10 speed auto because I’m on the road all day and the last thing I want to do on my way home is row gears thru peak hour traffic on my way home. The Mustang is my daily but if it was my weekend toy, I would definitely go for the manual trans as I had with my E92 M3 6 speed, its more of a 'driving experience', in saying that I do not want this 'experience' going from red light to red light in the city.
I think the auto is very good but not quite on par with the twin clutch transmissions on the euro cars but I give it a 8/10.

Last edited:

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a manual as I figured we are now in the last couple of yrs of ice cars and it’s the only manual normally aspirated V8 you can buy in the U.K. now for sensible money. My car is very much a weekend car for me averaging 3000 miles per yr for the past 5 yrs. as such, the involvement of changing gears outweighs the daily usability of an auto, and the greater drag strip potential of an auto. Our other family car is an automatic bmw with the zf 8 speed which for me is a fantastic transmission. If the mustang was my main car I would have bought an auto. Then again if the mustang was going to be my only car I wouldn’t buy a mustang at all as it doesn’t meet the quality and practicality criteria for an every day day with either transmission.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
The Only Mustang that interested me was the Bullitt, so no other option but a manual.

That said, if the car was a DD, I would have gone for an automatic. Modern Automatics are fantastic and light years ahead of the older 3 and 4 speed slush boxes.

Those of you who went for the auto due to bad knees, its a good thing, the clutch pedal in the S550 is a killer............... Sooooooo heavy and needs very strong leg muscles. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016

demon67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang Coupe / 21 GT Premium 6MT

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912

OrangeBeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 Saleen Mustang, 2020 Forester, 2019 Acura RDX
This topic continues to pop up and the debate will go on forever, or atleast until they stop producing 8 cylinder engines with manual transmissions which may actually happen in the near future. All the points are valid. I own the manual transmission because I live in the suburbs and rarely encounter bumper to bumper traffic. In the event that I do, I turn on Waze and navigate around it through some back roads. I just like the shifting and it is so second nature that I do not feel it as a burden. Some say they can hold their coffee while driving but that is why they make cup holders. You only need to hold it to sip it. Auto may be faster but I have never needed the speed. I am not going to race anyone off the line in town, I am not going to take a 50K car to the track and put that much wear and tear on it, and I am not really caring if it takes me an extra fraction of a second to get from 0-60. It is clearly more enjoyable to drive a stick EXCEPT in traffic so if you live in the city, buy the auto....or more appropriately, if you live in a city why the hell would you want a muscle car in the first place since you will not get the opportunity to open it up and enjoy it. Live in the city? By an automatic Prius, you will fit right in. Live in the suburbs then get yourself a 6 speed and enjoy the ride.
Sponsored