Sponsored

What are some common pain points on cars that see track duty?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hey guys. My car has been on the track a fair number of times now and I'm getting ready to do some end of season maintenance. I was wondering if there were some common pain points that perhaps are more likely to occur in cars that see track duty that I should look out for (other than the obvious increase in fluid change frequency, etc.). I've seen some sporadic reports of oil pressure sensors loosening etc. but I thought maybe we could compile a running list. I've noticed an increase in posts from folks who have had issues at or after their track days for various reasons and perhaps something like this might be useful for the future. Thanks!

Pilotgore:

- I've lost all four of my VCT solenoids at different track days.
- I've had three of the plugs going to my VCT's fail during track duty
- I've lost an alternator at the track
- I've lost a starter at the track
- I had a rear driver side wheel bearing go out at 4,500 miles (likely because of the track)
- I've lost two evap valves during track duty (one time because the wires broke free from the connector due to chaffing on a plastic stent that comes out of the connector.
- Cooked front caliper piston boots
- Heat cracked rotors
- Batteries tend to go bad when tracking more often. The warning signs are certain electronics shutting down on track at random and then coming back (such as service advance trac, or mode selection not available.)

Honeybadger:

I’d add oil analysis to this to get at least one per year to see if any weird stuff is showing up in your oil.

Double check alignment and refresh brakes and fluids as necessary.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Hey guys. My car has been on the track a fair number of times now and I'm getting ready to do some end of season maintenance. I was wondering if there were some common pain points that perhaps are more likely to occur in cars that see track duty that I should look out for (other than the obvious increase in fluid change frequency, etc.). I've seen some sporadic reports of oil pressure sensors loosening etc. but I thought maybe we could compile a running list. I've noticed an increase in posts from folks who have had issues at or after their track days for various reasons and perhaps something like this might be useful for the future. Thanks!
- I had a rear driver side wheel bearing go out at 4,500 miles (likely because of the track)
- I've lost two evap valves during track duty (one time because the wires broke free from the connector due to chaffing on a plastic stent that comes out of the connector.
- Heat cracked rotors
- Batteries tend to go bad when tracking more often. The warning signs are certain electronics shutting down on track at random and then coming back (such as service advance trac, or mode selection not available.)

I just turned 7,200 miles this last weekend at the track. . . where I shot a Ronin oil plug STRAIGHT out of the oil pan and lost all 10 quarts on track.

Yup. . . .I use that warranty

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just turned 7,200 miles this last weekend at the track. . . where I shot a Ronin oil plug STRAIGHT out of the oil pan and lost all 10 quarts on track.
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but that's exactly the reason I won't ever use those things.

Norm

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
- Heat cracked rotors

Yup. . . .I use that warranty
Curious how many track days do you have on your 350?

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’d add oil analysis to this to get at least one per year to see if any weird stuff is showing up in your oil.

Double check alignment and refresh brakes and fluids as necessary.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Curious how that occurred.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Curious how that occurred.
You and me both. It was safety wired in place, but not too tight. It was mainly safety wired to keep the dust cap from falling off (which I’ve lost two while on track.). It happened during a downshift on the fastest turn at the track I was at. The prevailing thought was that either the catch can became blocked (I checked, it’s not), pressure built up, and then looked for path of least resistance, or perhaps the pcv valve failed but it has yet to throw a code.

You can see in the pictures where metal chipped away where the nubs from the oil pan usually sit.

For reference, I’ve had this plug in for all my track days and never any issues except losing the dust cap, my last oil change occurred 2 track days prior (I was due for an oil change at the end of this day,) and it happened after 40 min on track that day. 100% not installation error.

I’d love input from anyone who may have an idea of what could have happened.

I put a plastic plug back in it, put 10 quarts back in and ran the last two sessions after cleanup and road testing. Zero issues except my student was a little shaken at the experience :)

DACD7900-7437-4F94-A0F8-783CA98D2E74.jpeg

7DA788DE-FFBE-430F-A9F0-5BA5E13B4C6F.jpeg

13F7581A-E609-4A58-B03A-57A99BEC2AF3.jpeg

83B8F492-0617-44F0-8FD1-1F6A5C07674F.jpeg

D5829D6C-37EA-4C03-B78C-4A161348FA3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Odd. I would have guessed that it loosened from vibration, but that can't be the cast with the wire in place. First time I've heard of such a thing with this plug.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
What did the oil pan hole look like? Isn't it made of plastic?
There does not seem to be enough material missing from the Ronin plug to explain it popping loose.

Last edited:

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
What did the oil pan hole look like? Isn't it mad of plastic?
There does not seem to be enough material missing from the Ronin plug to explain it popping loose.
To be honest, I don’t know what the nubs inside the oil pan looked like, but I know it’s working well enough to hold a plastic plug and not drop oil. I’ll be draining the oil later today and can inspect it then. I’m also going to take my calipers to the factory plug and ronin to see if maybe the ronin has a smaller diameter.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
In case anyones curious what that looks like from behind, here’s the video from the guy immediately behind me when it occurred:

Sorry OP I realize this is off topic.
I like how you still hit the next couple apex lol
Sponsored