Sponsored

What are some common pain points on cars that see track duty?

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I like how you still hit the next couple apex lol
To be honest, I stayed on-line because at first I wasn’t sure why I was seeing smoke. I thought maybe I locked up and had some tire smoke going into that first turn. When the smoke got worse going into turn 2 I thought either it was a locked up caliper, oil was coming out, or I was on fire. So…. I figured if I was leaking oil and there was the potential for someone to slide on my oil and hit me, I was safest getting to the next flagging station and positioning behind the guardrail. I shut down as soon as I got behind the guardrail and got out as fast as possible. By this time, the cabin was completely filled with smoke, it was pouring out from under the hood, and rear end. I truely thought the car was on fire for the first 30 seconds after I got out. Once the exhaust cooled down enough, the smoke stopped and I knew it was oil.

From the time I first saw smoke until I was out of the car was 25 seconds I think. I never got a low oil annunciation as best I can remember, but it all happened so fast it’s hard to tell. Crazy crazy crazy experience.
Sponsored

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
To be honest, I stayed on-line because at first I wasn’t sure why I was seeing smoke. I thought maybe I locked up and had some tire smoke going into that first turn. When the smoke got worse going into turn 2 I thought either it was a locked up caliper, oil was coming out, or I was on fire. So…. I figured if I was leaking oil and there was the potential for someone to slide on my oil and hit me, I was safest getting to the next flagging station and positioning behind the guardrail. I shut down as soon as I got behind the guardrail and got out as fast as possible. By this time, the cabin was completely filled with smoke, it was pouring out from under the hood, and rear end. I truely thought the car was on fire for the first 30 seconds after I got out. Once the exhaust cooled down enough, the smoke stopped and I knew it was oil.

From the time I first saw smoke until I was out of the car was 25 seconds I think. I never got a low oil annunciation as best I can remember, but it all happened so fast it’s hard to tell. Crazy crazy crazy experience.
I am honestly shocked you were able to refill it and that loosing the plug didn't fry the motor. Great skill keeping under control through all that

rjcruise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP, 1989 Foxbody track car, 1966 Fastback, 2005 BMW E46 ZHP
I should have probably started a new thread but just wanted to chime in and say that I had a similar experience as pilotgore.

I installed a UPR magnetic drain plug on the last oil change before heading out to Sonoma in early August.

First time out with this car on track and it was the first session of the morning, after about 3-4 laps I was really getting comfortable in the car, when coming down the front straight I suddenly saw nothing but white smoke in my rear view mirror. Managed to come off track immediately after, winding up just in front of the corner worker by turn 2A. Happened to glance at my oil pressure gauge on front straight and it was fine but when I stopped and the car was idling oil pressure was headed south just above 25psi. Shut off car and jumped out as a bystander was yelling fire.

Luckily no fire, just a whole lot of residual smoke. Car was on slight incline and saw oil trail exiting underneath and out the back, my thoughts were I lost an oil line or filter spun loose.

Like mentioned, after car was towed into the pits and still up on the flatbed, I happened to glance underneath and saw that the oil plug was missing.

Sourced all the items needed and had a helping hand from a local track mechanic who is very familiar with these cars and stated; "under no circumstances should you ever not use the OEM drain plug!" He said something about the 'tabs' not sitting correctly on aftermarket plugs. By the time all was put together and car was wiped down on a lift, I was able to run the last session of the day and all day Sunday, car ran great.

As we live and learn, and suffer a few missed heart beats......................I now safety wire the OEM drain plug to a hole on the plastic belly pan.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I should have probably started a new thread but just wanted to chime in and say that I had a similar experience as pilotgore.

I installed a UPR magnetic drain plug on the last oil change before heading out to Sonoma in early August.

First time out with this car on track and it was the first session of the morning, after about 3-4 laps I was really getting comfortable in the car, when coming down the front straight I suddenly saw nothing but white smoke in my rear view mirror. Managed to come off track immediately after, winding up just in front of the corner worker by turn 2A. Happened to glance at my oil pressure gauge on front straight and it was fine but when I stopped and the car was idling oil pressure was headed south just above 25psi. Shut off car and jumped out as a bystander was yelling fire.

Luckily no fire, just a whole lot of residual smoke. Car was on slight incline and saw oil trail exiting underneath and out the back, my thoughts were I lost an oil line or filter spun loose.

Like mentioned, after car was towed into the pits and still up on the flatbed, I happened to glance underneath and saw that the oil plug was missing.

Sourced all the items needed and had a helping hand from a local track mechanic who is very familiar with these cars and stated; "under no circumstances should you ever not use the OEM drain plug!" He said something about the 'tabs' not sitting correctly on aftermarket plugs. By the time all was put together and car was wiped down on a lift, I was able to run the last session of the day and all day Sunday, car ran great.

As we live and learn, and suffer a few missed heart beats......................I now safety wire the OEM drain plug to a hole on the plastic belly pan.
Thanks for adding that experience. Very helpful!!

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
- I've lost all four of my VCT solenoids at different track days.
- I've had three of the plugs going to my VCT's fail during track duty
- I've lost an alternator at the track
- I've lost a starter at the track
- I had a rear driver side wheel bearing go out at 4,500 miles (likely because of the track)
- I've lost two evap valves during track duty (one time because the wires broke free from the connector due to chaffing on a plastic stent that comes out of the connector.
- Cooked front caliper piston boots
- Heat cracked rotors
- Batteries tend to go bad when tracking more often. The warning signs are certain electronics shutting down on track at random and then coming back (such as service advance trac, or mode selection not available.)

I just turned 7,200 miles this last weekend at the track. . . where I shot a Ronin oil plug STRAIGHT out of the oil pan and lost all 10 quarts on track.

Yup. . . .I use that warranty
Dang that's quite the list :frown:

Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
72&18 said:
Curious how many track days do you have on your 350?
Good question. Roughly 20 in the last 18 months.

It sounds like you are abusing your car...................... Carrol Shelby would be proud my friend...!!!

Use it for what it was designed for...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Last edited:

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Good tip - I'm seeing hot start issues already. Shield ordered.
Likely will need the starter replaced by now if I'm being honest. However, when it does get replaced just ask the service advisor to pass this to the tech to install with the replacement. They'll gladly do it.

Sponsored

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Likely will need the starter replaced by now if I'm being honest. However, when it does get replaced just ask the service advisor to pass this to the tech to install with the replacement. They'll gladly do it.
Noted, I'll have to see about getting scheduled for service.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium

Holy Smokes! (Puni intended)
I am curious if the track charged you anything for cleanup? At COTA they bring it up all the time that any leak or tack damage will result in clean up/repair fees.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Holy Smokes! (Puni intended)
I am curious if the track charged you anything for cleanup? At COTA they bring it up all the time that any leak or tack damage will result in clean up/repair fees.
Ha…. I see what ya did there! I know you’re just jealous that my car came with the James Bond package and yours didn’t!!!

Although its in our paperwork that we’re responsible for damage and environmental cleanup, I haven’t heard anything yet. If I need to reimburse them for a few bags of kitty litter, I’m ok with that :)
Sponsored