honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The amount of oil missing from the dipstick was about equal to the amount on the bottom of the belly pan, (at least to my eye).

Forgot to ask, did you ever get a close look at the oil pressure sender?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The amount of oil missing from the dipstick was about equal to the amount on the bottom of the belly pan, (at least to my eye).

Forgot to ask, did you ever get a close look at the oil pressure sender?
I would agree there was not much initial oil that dropped. Nothing dropped on the track thankfully. It was disheartening watching the oil spill from the belly pan and still be clean enough to see daylight through the oil stream.

I didn't look at the sending unit and CarMax didn't want to void Factory warranty. It's being towed to a Ford dealer that won't get to it until maybe Wednesday next week. Even then I don't know how much tear down is required before they find root cause and or tell me if they are going to warranty the engine.

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Dude, I had a similar issue happen to me this weekend. Except I was on the second warm-up lap of the first session of the entire weekend.

I was coming out of the bowl at chuckwalla in third and off the gas. Next thing I know my engine was vibrating pretty badly, I lost oil pressure and my car was puttering along.

I was able to slowly drive off track. Once I parked her in the paddock and turned the car off the oil came gushing out.

We put the car on stands, removed the under cover and looked around. Filter was fine, plug was fine, everything was connected.

Had to tow it back home 140 miles and the initial diagnosis from the dealer is that they expect to find a rod in the oil pan.
Well the RCA was.....
Exactly this ^^^^^^^^ Rod in oil pan. Appears to have been a spun rod bearing. The service advisor was surprised how fast the turn around from Ford was. They are looking to have a new motor shipped by the end of June.

They asked me for all my service history + receipts, what oil did I buy, what did I spend, what oil filter, etc, etc. I provided service dates, + mileage counts per service and was not asked for anything in addition to what I gave them. So far I am happy and relieved with Ford and their service / Warranty process.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Well the RCA was.....
Exactly this ^^^^^^^^ Rod in oil pan. Appears to have been a spun rod bearing. The service advisor was surprised how fast the turn around from Ford was. They are looking to have a new motor shipped by the end of June.

They asked me for all my service history + receipts, what oil did I buy, what did I spend, what oil filter, etc, etc. I provided service dates, + mileage counts per service and was not asked for anything in addition to what I gave them. So far I am happy and relieved with Ford and their service / Warranty process.
Which cylinders failed? For me it was 2 and 6.

From the paperwork - Loss of oil pressure, major oil leak. Cylinder 6 connecting rod came apart and also cylinder 2 connecting rode came apart due to consequential damage done to front cylinder 6. Short block is cause of failure.

Verified customers concern and found check engine light on and oil pressure light on. Performed EEC test pulled codes and received codes PO300 and P0306. Vehicle would not start. Checked oil level and condition. Oil not registering on dipstick. Inspected bottom of engine and found a hole in the oil pan assembly. Disassembled, removed engine assembly and removed oil pan for inspection. Found cylinders 6 and 2 connecting rods came apart. Also found piston to cylinder head contact. Metal is everywhere in engine and oil pan.

My dealer was able to get approval pretty quickly from Ford and an engine was shipped out right away. I brought my car in on Sunday and left the second Thursday after bringing it in with a Gen 2 motor.

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Which cylinders failed? For me it was 2 and 6.

From the paperwork - Loss of oil pressure, major oil leak. Cylinder 6 connecting rod came apart and also cylinder 2 connecting rode came apart due to consequential damage done to front cylinder 6. Short block is cause of failure.

Verified customers concern and found check engine light on and oil pressure light on. Performed EEC test pulled codes and received codes PO300 and P0306. Vehicle would not start. Checked oil level and condition. Oil not registering on dipstick. Inspected bottom of engine and found a hole in the oil pan assembly. Disassembled, removed engine assembly and removed oil pan for inspection. Found cylinders 6 and 2 connecting rods came apart. Also found piston to cylinder head contact. Metal is everywhere in engine and oil pan.

My dealer was able to get approval pretty quickly from Ford and an engine was shipped out right away. I brought my car in on Sunday and left the second Thursday after bringing it in with a Gen 2 motor.
I haven't gotten to see the full write up. I only spoke with the service advisor. I'll grab a copy and let you know the carnage.

Sponsored

Sponsored

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Sorry about both of your situations. Beyond a bummer.

These issues are what scare the crap out of me with regard to taking it to the track, but man, I can't see not taking it to the track either. :fingerscrossed:

Hope your repair/replacements happen swiftly. Best of luck.

mattballislife

Threads
Reaction score
Website
ballislife.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
gt350R
Sorry about both of your situations. Beyond a bummer.

These issues are what scare the crap out of me with regard to taking it to the track, but man, I can't see not taking it to the track either. :fingerscrossed:

Hope your repair/replacements happen swiftly. Best of luck.
Mine is already done. I got it back last Thursday.

With regards to these cars, I honestly feel like they need to be driven. Especially folks with the Gen 1 motors. If there is an issue it's hard to tell if the car sits for most of the time and only sees a short amount of street use.

There have been folks have an engine blow with street use and track use. Correct me if I'm wrong but there may be more street use issues then track issues.

I probably had one of the higher mileage R's in the country at 19.2k miles on the gen 1 motor.

My car is an 18 so I'm happy to have gotten the gen 2 motor.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3

With regards to these cars, I honestly feel like they need to be driven. Especially folks with the Gen 1 motors. If there is an issue it's hard to tell if the car sits for most of the time and only sees a short amount of street use.

There have been folks have an engine blow with street use and track use. Correct me if I'm wrong but there may be more street use issues then track issues.

I probably had one of the higher mileage R's in the country at 19.2k miles on the gen 1 motor.

Your car never had any issues prior? That's unfortunate but glad the warranty took care of it and you got a new motor. I agree though, these cars need to be driven.

OP
OP
ShatterPoints

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Dude I had 19.5k miles.... This entanglement idea is getting more spooky....