Sponsored

GT350R at Road & Track Performance Car of the Year (Updated: Winner!)

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
UPDATED 11/9/15: WINNER!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27194/road-track-2016-performance-car-of-the-year/

After lunch, it's a Le Mans start from the restaurant booth, so I do the natural thing and run to the Ford. This Mustang is very much the track variant, squatting on suspiciously sticky rubber and what looks like three degrees of negative front camber. After the frenzied Ferrari, I'm hoping to catch my breath, to relax a bit behind the family-sedan-sized wheel of a nice, friendly big grand tourer. The clutch is comically light, like it's sourced from a Fiesta. That's good. But from the moment I start the engine ā€¦

Let me explain. The only way the team at Ford Performance could get 526 hp from 5.2 litersā€”the fabled 100 hp per liter and then someā€”was to reengineer the whole thing into a bit of an insane race motor. Flat-plane crankshaft. So I open the throttle, following Webster in his beloved Ferrari up a series of sharp hillside hairpins that seem designed to test second-gear acceleration and broken-asphalt traction at the same time, and the moment the tach hits about five grand, I hear The Sound.

I firmly believe that when human civilization finally collapses and our descendants are nothing but hipster-bearded cavemen on a quest for fire, stories of The Sound will still be told every night, to frighten children and preserve all that is worth preserving of Western civilization. From generation to generation. "What an engine! What a noise!" says Chilton, in much the same way that human beings will ten, twenty, fifty thousand years from now.

THE WINNER

AROUND NCM MOTORSPORTS PARK, the Ford Shelby GT350R feels very nearly as special as the Viper ACR. It has the same single-minded focus on high-speed balance and usable performance, and if it sometimes feels a bit like a taxicab compared with the Viper, it makes up for that with a simply magical V-8 that brings the caviar thrills of 8250-rpm performance to a beer-and-burgers demographic. If you could summon some sort of Lovecraftian dark magic to combine the best parts of the other seven cars in this testā€”the Bentley's on-road poise, the Cadillac's vivacious chassis, the Merc's bluff-nosed retro charm, the Cayman's accessible limits, the Ferrari's auditory drama, the Corvette's wide-hipped machismo, and the Viper's sense of purposeā€”then what would appear in the swirling mists would be, not Cthulhu the Great Old One, but Shelby the Baddest Mustang. Our winner by a runaway vote, the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R is, quite deservedly, the Road & Track 2016 Performance Car of the Year.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...cars-will-be-our-performance-car-of-the-year/

Mods, move this to the 'reviews' thread if need be

:ford:

One of These Eight Cars Will Be Our 2016 Performance Car of the Year

It's that time of the year again. We're spending this week on the roads of rural Kentucky and Tennessee, as well as two days at the National Corvette Museum's race track, to decide which of these eight cars will be crowned R&T's performance car of the year.

In order to pick the eight, we had to be pretty picky. The cars had to be significantly updated versus the year before (so no BMW M3, no Alfa 4C, no Nissan GT-R), and they also had to be at the top of the performance bracket, which means that even though it pains us so, cars like the Mazda Miata had to be left behind.

Now, you might be saying to yourself, where's the Lamborghini Huracan and McLaren 675LT? Unfortunately, those brands declined to participate in our test.

After much hemming and hawing, we got the long list of cars down to just eight. In no particular order, here are the contenders:

Mercedes-AMG GT S

The newest sports car from Mercedes has a turbo V8 good for 510 horsepower, a sweet shifting gearbox, and some of the best looks on the road.

Porsche Cayman GT4

It was a tough choice between this or the 911 GT3 RS, but we ended up going for the GT4 since it's the first time Porsche has even gotten close to allowing the Cayman to realize its full potential.

Ferrari 488 GTB

Ferrari's first turbocharged mid-engine car in 30ish years demanded our attention. And with 670 horsepower, a full 70 over the spectacular 458 Speciale that we tested last year, it promises to be quite the hoot. But will turbocharging ruin that Ferrari magic or make it even better?

Ford Mustang GT350R

How could we not include Ford's track special Mustang? With a 526 HP, 429 lb. ft 5.2 liter V8 with a FLAT PLANE CRANK that is linked only to a manual gearbox, magnetic ride suspension, sticky Michelin rubber, and carbon fiber wheels, it has all the ingredients we need.

Dodge Viper ACR

Yes, we tested the Viper T/A last year, but we felt like the ACR deserved to come to see just how good it is. There is no street car with a more aggressive aero setup than the ACR, but can its astounding track performance convert to road excellence?

Bentley Continental GT3R

Sort of an odd ball, the GT3R is a Continental GT V8 with weight taken out by the barrel full. It has a full dose of carbon fiber everywhere you look and the VW Groups monster of a V8. Dark horse pick?

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

The Z06 should need no introduction. A supercharged V8 with 650 horsepower and 650 pound feet of torque make it basically a supercar. And it's no stranger to victory lane, the Corvette won our competition in 2014.

Cadillac ATS-V

Finally, Cadillac has a BMW M3 competitor. It has a superb chassis underneath, but the laggy powertrain has gotten some flack from us, though it is pretty damn fun on the track. No, it doesn't have the downright pace of any of the other cars, but it might just be fun enough to make a name for itself.

Our full results won't be out for a little while, but check out our Instagram for all the photos you could possibly want from this week's activities.
Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
GT350R Wins...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
That's some pretty stiff competition. In a fair/balanced, unbiased attempt at finding the true track car, IMHO, it will come down between the GT4, ACR and the 350R. These 3 appear to be the truest examples of a race-ready street rides.

My bias goes to the car with a true manual though... ;)

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
That's some pretty stiff competition. In a fair/balanced, unbiased attempt at finding the true track car, IMHO, it will come down between the GT4, ACR and the 350R. These 3 appear to be the truest examples of a race-ready street rides.

My bias goes to the car with a true manual though... ;)
doesn't the gt4 have a manual?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
doesn't the gt4 have a manual?
Why yes it does. My bad... thanks for clarifying that. I had assumed since it was Porsche's Cayman track weapon that it would come with that boring PDK box.

Gratefully, it doesn't so that brings it down to bang-for-the-buck, and the GT350R wins hands down!!!

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Look at the aero on that Viper. Damn.....

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
My prediction: PCOTY = Cayman GT4

I'd take one in a heartbeat.... unfortunately all allocations sold out. Kinda like the R (ADM aside).

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Kind of agree with you, the cayman has always been right on the tail of the 911 and porsche finally appeased the enthusiast crowd and put the biggie motor in it.

They might have an honorable mention "bang for the buck" winner with the GT350R

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

I'd take one in a heartbeat.... unfortunately all allocations sold out. Kinda like the R (ADM aside).
I think it will be between the R and Cayman. Not sure who I predict for the winner, yet.

Sponsored

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
As much as I am a huge Mustang fan, that is some serious competition.
Price wise Mustang should win, because you could buy several Mustangs
for the cost of some of those cars and bang for buck not even a conversation.
Mind you nobody owns a GT350 yet.
At the rate were going may not this year :(

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Al, with all due respect I have to disagree with you on this one.

The Shelby GT350R will come out victorious with the Cayman GT4 coming in second.

Just my opinion but in any event it will be very exciting to see the final results and how everyone placed as there are so many strong contenders here?

:thumbsup::ford::thumbsup:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Al, with all due respect I have to disagree with you on this one.

The Shelby GT350R will come out victorious with the Cayman GT4 coming in second.

Just my opinion but in any event it will be very exciting to see the final results and how everyone placed as there are so many strong contenders here?

:thumbsup::ford::thumbsup:
I have to agree. I looked at the GT4's specs on their website and yes, it is the baddest of the Cayman's but it's performance numbers don't excite me for $84K.

The only way the Cayman can hang within 3 tenths of the R at VIR would be to carry speed through the turns and I just don't think it can muster that kind of speed against the numbers clocked on the R at various tracks.

But it will be fun to see...

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
It was a flip-the-coin for me with the 981 just inching ahead of the new Shelby. All 8 are formidable cars.... if I had to pick (no cost worries) one it'll be the 488 GTB in my garage. If bang for the buck then the GT350R, the Z06, and the GT4 in order. In the end my Porsche bias comes out so the GT4 got my vote.
Sponsored