What year mt82’s are having problems?

SJ-KY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Gt 350
I have a 19 a10 atm and great as it is for straight line racing I’m just starting to miss the connection of a manual.. That being said I’m considering a pp2.. Do they have the lock out problem as well?
Sponsored

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 19 a10 atm and great as it is for straight line racing I’m just starting to miss the connection of a manual.. That being said I’m considering a pp2.. Do they have the lock out problem as well?
Yes all MT82s have problems. However, after owning 4 of them, I've learned a few things.

I upgraded the shifter to MGW, changed the fluid to BG Syncromesh and also added the pedders red trans bushing in (no nvh) and it performs very well and allows to you shift without being locked out and has butter smooth shifts.

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
Funny. I have zero problems out of my EB. Tho I did add the whiteline transmission bushing and motul DCT fluid, made it better.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Funny. I have zero problems out of my EB. Tho I did add the whiteline transmission bushing and motul DCT fluid, made it better.
Having owned MT82 in both an ecoboost and a GT, I can say that there is a difference.

I think the MT82 is probably a pretty perfect transmission for the eco. I don’t know if it is power levels or RPM difference, but it seemed like a good match.

On the GT, it seems like less of a good match especially if you are in a hurry. That being said, for what I do, I find the MT82 to be adequate. But I do believe there is a difference between the engines, and that most complaints probably come from the GT crowd.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
^ agree. Mt82 lawsuit states the design and ratings were knowingly exceeded with the 5.0 powerplant. Prob why I am on #2.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
I always read about the issues with the mt82 but of the 5 mustangs I’ve had with it never had a single issue.
I have never tracked any of them so maybe that’s why? But for daily driving they have been fine for me.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Have had both a 15 and 19 with the Mt82. Zero issues.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The MT82 had more issues early on. It was upgraded in 2018 with the D4 version, which meant 4th gear was the new 1:1 ratio (rather than 5th), along with other improvements. However, Getrag messed up with the shift forks on 2018, and they issued a TSB. So your best bet is a 2019 car or newer. My Bullitt shifts really nice, but when cold, you have the typical manual tranny behavior, which in our case is a notchy 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 nibble. But it practically goes away when fully warmed up. Good luck.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I wonder if they changed something in the 2020 MY, because mine is absolutely butter-smooth in any gear, including the infamous 1-2 and 2-3. From second to third it glides as smoothly and seamlessly as a curling stone, even when the car has just been started. The lowest temperatures we've had so far were in the range of 35-37°F. Maybe in freezing temperatures it's going to be different, but at 35°F I cannot feel anything even remotely wrong. Quite the contrary, it's a delight to use.
Since I can't believe they made a special sample just for me, I think they must have changed something in 2020. Maybe they felt bad about giving us that hideous antenna and thought we deserved a little compensation. :giggle:

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
What year? Every year its been in existence. Mt82’s are junk.. & Ford knows it, that’s why you wont see one in any Shelby of any year.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I wonder if they changed something in the 2020 MY, because mine is absolutely butter-smooth in any gear, including the infamous 1-2 and 2-3. From second to third it glides as smoothly and seamlessly as a curling stone, even when the car has just been started. The lowest temperatures we've had so far were in the range of 35-37°F. Maybe in freezing temperatures it's going to be different, but at 35°F I cannot feel anything even remotely wrong. Quite the contrary, it's a delight to use.
Since I can't believe they made a special sample just for me, I think they must have changed something in 2020. Maybe they felt bad about giving us that hideous antenna and thought we deserved a little compensation. :giggle:
I wish that were the case, my 2020 locks me out of 2nd and 3rd, unless I shift at 7000. I’ll be doing an MGW shifter and I suspect that’ll fix it. Other than the high rpm lock out mine shifts butter smooth most of the time. The 2-3 nibble is present in mine when it cold.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
The MT82 had more issues early on. It was upgraded in 2018 with the D4 version, which meant 4th gear was the new 1:1 ratio (rather than 5th), along with other improvements. However, Getrag messed up with the shift forks on 2018, and they issued a TSB. So your best bet is a 2019 car or newer. My Bullitt shifts really nice, but when cold, you have the typical manual tranny behavior, which in our case is a notchy 1-2 shift, and the 2-3 nibble. But it practically goes away when fully warmed up. Good luck.
Good input, I hadn't kept up. My 19 can be a little notchy, but to be honest I just don't notice.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
2020 PP2 here and no issues with lockout. While compared to the tremec in my Rs, the MT82 is dog crap, it’s certainly not the worst. It’s definitely sloppy but it does the job

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
2020 PP1 here absolutely no issues. Shifts beautifully and quickly. I find my shifts to be precise and with good feel. The past Tremecs I have used, not the recent ones in the GT350s were quite stiff.
Sponsored