OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
If you actually own this car and get it back post a picture and then post a few pictures of the paperwork that accompanied this exciting trip to the dealership. They do built these engines at Ford, it is not surprising they would be able to assemble a new replacement and get it out quickly.

If I was Ford, I'd want that motor back unmolested and if it was poorly assembled I'd fire some people or hammer some parts suppliers for this mistake, if this isn't a troll thread.

I think stuffing a twin turbo set-up on a new motor and flogging it to death right out of the gate is at least as good as idea as any of the other suggestions from the op. Please feel free to return this spring with the tales of the next debacle.
Would you want this done to your car?

IMG_20201202_162342.jpg
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So from the other side of this.... As an enthusiast, it seems like if Ford had a rule that said "if an engine dies on a specialty car before XX miles, we will take the car back", that would be fair, right?..not so fast. Ford is in it to make money and...I hate to tell you this but...people suck....and people get buyers remorse, a LOT. I can only imagine the number of engines that would blow up just before the return window ended...and people would get a joy ride and Ford would get screwed. There's a story on both sides, trust me. It sounds fair but it's not realistic...because people suck.

I'm not suggesting anything but...if your engine failed....a couple more times, you might be able to pull this off....but like I said, people suck, so don't suck.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It seems these engines are set up loose, like most race engines.

I wonder if all the oil burning and subsequent problems are due to an improper break in.

When I build a RACE engine I heat cycle it then vigorously seat the rings. Several runs to redline in 3rd and then a full decel. I do this about 10 times.

With todays machining you only get about a 15 to 20 min period to get them seated. Yes the factory runs them in but it is not under the engines own power.

Might be killing them with kindness.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Nope. I'd be pissed at the engine failure as well. But, I'd skip twin turbos until I was sure the new engine was okay.

I'm betting someone at Ford is going to get fired, demoted or sent back to the janitorial pool over this one. They are sending you a new complete engine and they are sending it in a hurry, that should tell you they are serious about addressing this problem. If it was/is a supplier issue there will be hell to pay for someone. And I'm okay with that, this is a high end product and you have a right to expect better.

Push for a seven year, 100K drive train warranty since you should be in a strong position or ask for a new 2020 HEP. The last thing I'd do is to void the warranty on my new warrantied engine because I was mad.

It sucks it happened but it looks like they are trying in good faith to make it right.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
Nope. I'd be pissed at the engine failure as well. But, I'd skip twin turbos until I was sure the new engine was okay.

I'm betting someone at Ford is going to get fired, demoted or sent back to the janitorial pool over this one. They are sending you a new complete engine and they are sending it in a hurry, that should tell you they are serious about addressing this problem. If it was/is a supplier issue there will be hell to pay for someone. And I'm okay with that, this is a high end product and you have a right to expect better.

Push for a seven year, 100K drive train warranty since you should be in a strong position or ask for a new 2020 HEP. The last thing I'd do is to void the warranty on my new warrantied engine because I was mad.

It sucks it happened but it looks like they are trying in good faith to make it right.
As much as I like the car I doubt anyone is losing their job over this. That is not the culture at these corporations. They are replacing the engine quickly because they know with so few miles theres almost no way its user error.

I dont get why people are giving the OP such a hard time thinking hes lying.

After having taking some of my car apart to install a few pieces and check on some rattles i can easily believe his story. These cars are not put together with that much care. Wiring harness are not secured properly or routed incorrectly, seals pinched and clips/panels half ass placed.

Even with their special assembly line just for these engines where do you think they pull those techs from and how they hire people? QA/QC has to be ingrained into a company as a whole.

Sponsored

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Most of the GT350s we turbo are under 1,000 miles. Many of which are only 100-200 miles. We have only done a few that have over 5k miles on them and maybe a couple with 10k plus. We have never had a stock engine let go on any of the 800R or 1000R builds. There seems to be a much worse perception of engine failures than actuality IMO. Now I'm not one of the guys who say they are flawless, but I don't think its as common as most internet trolls would have you believe. The failures that I have seen almost always happen within the first 1-2k miles. If it where up to me I would rather any stock engine car have at least 2k on it before we mod it just to rule out any assembly/manufacturing faults if they exist so its captured under warranty. Out of all the GT350s we have done, we have only just recently had an engine let go. This was on a 2020 600R car which is essentially just headers, intake and a tune, go figure. It had right at 1k on it. As far as the engine failures I have read about online (take with a grain of salt given the source) it seems they fall into a few categories. Some being the valves breaking off which has been discussed on here in other threads. Second being the oil consumption cars. I also bet some of the engines that have locked up may have been oil consumption cars that weren't caught prior and then being ran low on oil. Then lastly maybe just some human errors on assembly which I'm sure you will have on about any hand assembled engines in a very small percentage. I also think there are some failures that can be chocked up to user error. The guys that are pressured into starting and revving their car to the moon so everybody can hear it at the car meets and such. Others that may have 1-2-1 the shift ect. As far as forced induction, its always going to be a risk especially when your are doubling the RWHP. But like I said, we have yet to seen a failure on any of our 1000R cars. I personally think these are seriously strong engines to consistently make 950 whp without a failure yet. If it were me and I planned on building a twin turbo stock engine 350, I would start my search for a lemon buyback that had an engine replaced and use the deprecated purchase price to cover most the cost of the turbo kit. We drop the engine and trans out to install the turbo kit. With that being the case, we would catch any fuckery that may have happened when what ever random dealer tech put it back together. Speaking of that, almost every front splitter that has came in is usually missing bolts and clips from the dealer installing them. I'm surprised more haven't fallen off than what I have seen.

As for the OP, don't let the haters get you down. Sounds like you were one of the 1% that have had to deal with this unfortunate occurrence. I would keep the car and try to get them to write you a check for lost value, I think some have been successful in this. Put about 1500-2000 miles on it, then give us a call! These 5.2 flat plain engines pair perfectly with our turbo kit. They take an exceptional car and turn it into the supercar that ford should have built from the get go!

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
See that's called having a good attitude, thanks fatfab. Yeah one side was hotter than the other because I limped it 15 miles running on one bank lol. Wasn't having a tow truck screw up the bodywork.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
See that's called having a good attitude, thanks fatfab. Yeah one side was hotter than the other because I limped it 15 miles running on one bank lol. Wasn't having a tow truck screw up the bodywork.
Do what was the reason of failure, is it still the timing chain or are they saying something else now?

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Do what was the reason of failure, is it still the timing chain or are they saying something else now?
They said the timing chain straight up came apart. Like the chain itself failed. But that is a best guess as Ford is not allowing them to look deeper than pulling the cam sensors off.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Because the car is already damaged goods in my eyes now. Might as well have fun with it, it's no collectible car anymore (if it ever was). Im not doing track days with it but I like how the engine sounds more than a GT500 so if it's not a collectible item anymore let's get the power where I want it. The car as is in a straight line race would get thrashed by a lot of vehicles.
Do it big. FatFab it. Don't look back.

My R has been flawless (6700 miles) but if I have motor issues I'd first see if the original can be rebuilt better and stronger. If not then I'd look to go all in with a Fat Fab Twin Turbo on the replacement. Or get out of it asap and look to the new Z06 or something.

Last edited:

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
HEP cars are by far my favorite. When I finally buy one it will most definitely be a HEP car(hopefully I can find a lemon buyback one!). I can't wait to finally turbo one....hint hint hint mk1spyder!!!!!! The only one we have came though so far got the 600R package. I have been a huge Shelby enthusiast my entire life and hope I'm fortunate enough to own a few eventually. For now my 1986 Shelby Omni GLHS will have to fill the Shelby void lol

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Good luck OP!!
Looks like the replacement is coming real soon. Hopefully you're good to go and then to FatFab for some serious fun!

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
HEP cars are by far my favorite. When I finally buy one it will most definitely be a HEP car(hopefully I can find a lemon buyback one!). I can't wait to finally turbo one....hint hint hint mk1spyder!!!!!! The only one we have came though so far got the 600R package. I have been a huge Shelby enthusiast my entire life and hope I'm fortunate enough to own a few eventually. For now my 1986 Shelby Omni GLHS will have to fill the Shelby void lol
Send me a PM and we can talk.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
I had a 2019 that dropped a valve at under 500 miles. It spent over a month at a dealer getting two engines (the first replacement was NG). Ultimately, I had it bought back (with great difficulty - Ford was terrible), but I did like driving it and the dealer wanted to help, so I got into a 2020 with an extended warranty. Totally changed my outlook though. Originally I was gonna baby the car "forever" but now I don't really trust it so my plan is to use the hell out of it until the warranty is up and then see how these things are holding up. Liberating, in a sense. Perhaps I will enjoy the car more this way, but I wish I hadn't gone through the experience.
Sponsored