Well that didn't last long. 2020 GT350R DEAD

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Did you see the picture of my car with the entire subframe out of it? You're nuts if you think all that is going back together as good as new.
the way the rest of the quality control stuff ive seen has went lately..

it might actually go back better than new. not likely with a dealership, but I digress.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
the way the rest of the quality control stuff ive seen has went lately..

it might actually go back better than new. not likely with a dealership, but I digress.
You're right there is a chance this guy does a better job than the factory lol

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
That looks a lot worse than it is. As long as the mechanic got all the wires un hooked that is the easiest way to change an engine.

Basically 10 bolts and the assembly drops right out.
sounds simple enough, but you don’t get to do the work. You’re at mercy to the guys that can’t even insert all the splitter hardware. I got my car back twice with a CEL, AFTER my voodoo replacement...both of them were just careless mistakes, but still, how would you like to get the most expensive car you’ve ever bought back from motor replacement and it’s missing with a rough idle? Not confidence inspiring lol.

They forgot to do the cam relearn once, then didn’t plug in 2 intake sensors the next time(they are hard to see, but damn did they not even start it before telling me it was ready). So both times were an hour trip one way, only to leave the car in their hands once again and tell my ride to take me back home.

*if you have a badass service department, you’re good to go, but there are plenty of stories just like this out there

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Part of the problem is the mechanics get screwed by warranty work. I remember well the LHS cars from mopar that had bad evap cores. If out of warranty it paid 12 hours, in warranty it paid 4.

I got real good at replacing them.

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Part of the problem is the mechanics get screwed by warranty work. I remember well the LHS cars from mopar that had bad evap cores. If out of warranty it paid 12 hours, in warranty it paid 4.

I got real good at replacing them.
That's because most mechanics fully believe they deserve to be paid 12 hours to do a 4 hour job, the manufacturer knows better which is why customer pay people get screwed but Ford isn't playing that game lol. And the warranty rate for Ford is probably like $50ish an hour, whereas the dealer charges $130 an hour or so for customer pay. But body shop retail labor is like $48 an hour, blows my mind why mechanical stuff gets charged at such a higher labor rate (I assume because the dealerships dont have much competition and can price fix) because body/paint work in my opinion is more skilled in a lot of ways. Most techs these days if the scan tool cant tell them what to do they're lost. Most of the old school guys either have retired or didn't want to update with the technology.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The way Ford or any auto maker decides warranty time is they take a mechanic who has done the job at least twice.

He then sets out all his tools that he will need for the job. The car is brought in and placed on a lift. Hood opened ect..

The mechanic grabs his first tool and the clock starts.

The line mechanic's clock starts when the service writer gives him the paperwork.

I've worked at several dealers over my lifetime.

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
The way Ford or any auto maker decides warranty time is they take a mechanic who has done the job at least twice.

He then sets out all his tools that he will need for the job. The car is brought in and placed on a lift. Hood opened ect..

The mechanic grabs his first tool and the clock starts.

The line mechanic's clock starts when the service writer gives him the paperwork.

I've worked at several dealers over my lifetime.
Yeah, and then customer pay time is 3x that for the fun of it. Which is why the service writer's job is to sell you everything under the sun like a fuel injector "cleaner" for 1 labor hour lol

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's a game. No one makes any money on warranty work except the dealer.

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
It's a game. No one makes any money on warranty work except the dealer.
Every dealer I've ever worked at warranty work was hated, only useful to maybe get some customer pay work, but on a 130 mile car that isn't possible. So unless they get real creative with the LOP codes this will be rushed AF.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
When I say the dealer makes money is because Ford pays the dealer so it is shop income.

Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I should've been more specific and just said 'shelby' as opposed to 'car'. Did you sell to an individual or trade? I know some corvette guys too and I can't see them wanting their pride and joy to have already been under the knife for a heart transplant. Glad you made it out unscathed though.

When my 350 was for sale, I had it priced 3-4k under what others of similar spec and miles were and no bites in 6 months. Perhaps I was too honest? Either way, it doesn't help you sell the car in the event you decide you want to try something else. But like you, I also don't do the mothballing and I drive my stuff every chance I get. The car gets used, but also taken care of.

There were multiple horror stories of dealers botching the replacement and people on their third voodoo at one point in time. Granted I'm sure that is rare as hell, but it's still just a red flag for a buyer. Especially when they can scroll on to the next used FS ad and pay a couple grand more for one the dealer hasn't been balls deep in.

He might not have lost 10k, but I would not be surprised if he lost 7-8ish... It was brand new. You gotta think too, anyone coming at him with an offer is gonna low ball because 'damaged goods'
Of course he's going to lose money if he sells the car now. No matter how little it was driven its now used and whoever buys it is the second owner. Under no circumstances would anybody pay the same for a used car as they would for a new one sitting at the dealership.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Of course he's going to lose money if he sells the car now. No matter how little it was driven its now used and whoever buys it is the second owner. Under no circumstances would anybody pay the same for a used car as they would for a new one sitting at the dealership.
Well your original statement was “no value lost”. So if you think there’s no difference in value in a “2020 HEP GT350R with 120mi” and a “2020 HEP GT350R with 120mi AND an engine replacement on it’s OASIS report”, then we can just agree to disagree.

I wouldn’t do it, but i bet it’d be fairly easy to get MSRP for that car(without the mark on it’s record), as plenty are doing it with low mile GT500s.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OK. Ill give..... I guess if the car doesn't get driven past 120 miles and its going to be kept as a collectors garage trophy its not worth the same as the one with the original engine...

However I'll Stand by the statement that in normal circumstances where the car gets driven and used as it should be (imo) that in 5 years with say 20k miles its not going to be worth a penny less.

Just remember the guys in the 60's drove the wheels off there cars, they didn't park them because they were concerned with protecting the "investment"..... If they did collect them, and there were still a tens of thousands of these cars sitting in pristine condition they wouldn't be rare. and not worth anywhere near what they are now.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The dealer got my car done so I'm going to go pick it up as I assume Ford will not be taking it back since they fixed it in under 20 days.
I wouldn't leave the dealership sideways or anything. Break it in correctly, get the oil changed then drive it till the CF wheels fall off.
Sponsored