OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
I had a 2019 that dropped a valve at under 500 miles. It spent over a month at a dealer getting two engines (the first replacement was NG). Ultimately, I had it bought back (with great difficulty - Ford was terrible), but I did like driving it and the dealer wanted to help, so I got into a 2020 with an extended warranty. Totally changed my outlook though. Originally I was gonna baby the car "forever" but now I don't really trust it so my plan is to use the hell out of it until the warranty is up and then see how these things are holding up. Liberating, in a sense. Perhaps I will enjoy the car more this way, but I wish I hadn't gone through the experience.
Agreed
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I had a 2019 that dropped a valve at under 500 miles. It spent over a month at a dealer getting two engines (the first replacement was NG). Ultimately, I had it bought back (with great difficulty - Ford was terrible), but I did like driving it and the dealer wanted to help, so I got into a 2020 with an extended warranty. Totally changed my outlook though. Originally I was gonna baby the car "forever" but now I don't really trust it so my plan is to use the hell out of it until the warranty is up and then see how these things are holding up. Liberating, in a sense. Perhaps I will enjoy the car more this way, but I wish I hadn't gone through the experience.
Yup. Bought an 8yr warranty + maintenance plan to beat the shit out of my first ever dream car purchase. Although ownership has been tumultuous with all the damn repairs(and engine replacement due to lower compression in 1 cyl - happy about this one since I got the Gen2 motor), I am still enjoying the car greatly, and the maintenance plan has already paid for itself 2x over, and I still have over 3 and half years left to go.

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
It's just weird that we have these problems with a friggin mustang. Complaints about dropping valves, timing chains, lost compression, oil leaks, all sounds like the beginning of a BMW /Audi forum.

StrictlyJdN

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
350HEPR
Purchased mine in September and I'm at 3k miles now. Besides the siren jiggle that goes off everytime I start the car and the knock I hear coming from the suspension when I pull out of parking stops. No complaints from me... oh yeah, the dealership dented my hood while doing an oil change -_-

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
It's just weird that we have these problems with a friggin mustang. Complaints about dropping valves, timing chains, lost compression, oil leaks, all sounds like the beginning of a BMW /Audi forum.
Don't fall in love with the Porsche GT line then, because they also have failures. Apparently Porsche is also secretive on cause of failures. Oil consumption, spun bearings, etc. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1100853-991-1-gt3rs-failures-3.html

Point is, every performance car will have it's failures. Ford performance does not allow the dealership to do any kind of major repairs on the GT350 motors. They go full monty and just replace the entire longblock. If you read the stories on the Porsche forums, they will take the cheap way out if it's at all possible, and replacing engines is their absolute last resort. Now ain't that a bitch for a $100k+ sports car.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I'd ask for some sort of compensation, extended warranty or maybe even a check from ford. My car got hit and the at fault's insurance company gave me an additional 5000 dollars for the loss of value due to an accident on the car fax report.

Personally I wouldn't care if my car's engine blew and ford replaced it under warranty. I buy cars to drive, not sit in a garage to be looked at and polished.

So I would not be seeking to sell with 5K miles unless I hated the car
I couldn't agree more. Hell..my car is a 2018 5.0..nog a gt350..but the engine blew not long after i bought it with 30k miles. Ford put a brand new 2020 engine in it. I was very happy with a brand new engine.

I know its "different" with a gt350. But to me, it wouldnt be that much different because I plan on driving it a while. If it were a gt350, id prob care even less because i would drive it until the wheels fell off. That said..if it was already a new car like OPs..i would be more upset because the engine was already new.

Cars arent a good "investment". Especially not at this price range. If you want to invest, invest in real estate or something.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Don't fall in love with the Porsche GT line then, because they also have failures. Apparently Porsche is also secretive on cause of failures. Oil consumption, spun bearings, etc. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1100853-991-1-gt3rs-failures-3.html

Point is, every performance car will have it's failures. Ford performance does not allow the dealership to do any kind of major repairs on the GT350 motors. They go full monty and just replace the entire longblock. If you read the stories on the Porsche forums, they will take the cheap way out if it's at all possible, and replacing engines is their absolute last resort. Now ain't that a bitch for a $100k+ sports car.
The reasoning behind the two approaches is different. Ford wants (needs) to get back every catastrophic failure in order to perform adequate root cause analysis. They need to do this in order to nail down exactly what the root of the problem was. That way they can implement a fix in the production process.

Every manufacturer does this with a new engine or transmission design. Porsche already knows everything they need to know about 4.0L engine failure modes and their dealer techs are trained to diagnose and repair them. I would expect Ford will be in the same position with Predator in about a year.

Question... does anybody know if Ford dealer techs can do deep repair on Voodoo yet? I would expect that they are now allowed to service at a long block, maybe even short block level.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
have you tried to sell a car with a replacement motor in it?

there is absolutely value lost.
Actually yes. 2007 Corvette Z06 (427) GM replaced the engine, didn't hurt resale one cent. Also (not comparable I know) I had the engine go south on a 2018 f150 with 1200kms on it. also not a factor on resale.

a failure while under warranty means the required repair is done with new factory components = good as new. Now if you're buying a gt350 that blew up and the engine was rebuilt by god knows who I would agree the value is lost.

Saying that this car depreciated $10k when ford put a new engine in is absurd.

I dont get the collector mentality... buy the car, park it, wait till its worth more, sell it. Sounds super fun! The cars we all covet from the 60's were bought, driven, smashed, parked outside, raced, rusted, generally abused.... in other words thoroughly enjoyed. And the Shelbys were raced.

Now they're dug up from the fields they rot in , get restored And they're worth a fortune.
Just the serial number and title for a 67 fastback is worth $10k... 4x what the car sold for new. Numbers shmumbers.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I dont get the collector mentality... buy the car, park it, wait till its worth more, sell it. Sounds super fun! The cars we all covet from the 60's were bought, driven, smashed, parked outside, raced, rusted, generally abused.... in other words thoroughly enjoyed. And the Shelbys were raced.

Now they're dug up from the fields they rot in , get restored And they're worth a fortune.
Just the serial number and title for a 67 fastback is worth $10k... 4x what the car sold for new. Numbers shmumbers.
And the reason why the '60s survivors are worth so much now is nobody then thought they would be worth anything in the future, and most got run into the ground and destroyed. Limited supply = $$$.

It'll never be the same scenario with the new stuff, as they are mass produced in comparison and it'll be easy to find a nice one, and for a decent price.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
And the reason why the '60s survivors are worth so much now is nobody then thought they would be worth anything in the future, and most got run into the ground and destroyed. Limited supply = $$$.

It'll never be the same scenario with the new stuff, as they are mass produced in comparison and it'll be easy to find a nice one, and for a decent price.
It cuts both ways, too - Just like the internet and technology will allow us to re-locate these cars in the future for purchase...that same technology really points out how few nice examples of older cars are remaining...hence the spike in value.

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Actually yes. 2007 Corvette Z06 (427) GM replaced the engine, didn't hurt resale one cent. Also (not comparable I know) I had the engine go south on a 2018 f150 with 1200kms on it. also not a factor on resale.

a failure while under warranty means the required repair is done with new factory components = good as new. Now if you're buying a gt350 that blew up and the engine was rebuilt by god knows who I would agree the value is lost.

Saying that this car depreciated $10k when ford put a new engine in is absurd.

I should've been more specific and just said 'shelby' as opposed to 'car'. Did you sell to an individual or trade? I know some corvette guys too and I can't see them wanting their pride and joy to have already been under the knife for a heart transplant. Glad you made it out unscathed though.

When my 350 was for sale, I had it priced 3-4k under what others of similar spec and miles were and no bites in 6 months. Perhaps I was too honest? Either way, it doesn't help you sell the car in the event you decide you want to try something else. But like you, I also don't do the mothballing and I drive my stuff every chance I get. The car gets used, but also taken care of.

There were multiple horror stories of dealers botching the replacement and people on their third voodoo at one point in time. Granted I'm sure that is rare as hell, but it's still just a red flag for a buyer. Especially when they can scroll on to the next used FS ad and pay a couple grand more for one the dealer hasn't been balls deep in.

He might not have lost 10k, but I would not be surprised if he lost 7-8ish... It was brand new. You gotta think too, anyone coming at him with an offer is gonna low ball because 'damaged goods'

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
It wouldn't scare me a bit, and if I got the car at a discount I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Did you see the picture of my car with the entire subframe out of it? You're nuts if you think all that is going back together as good as new.

The difference between back in the day and today is that every single thing the dealer does is reported to CARFAX and now your deal is on record permanently.

I had 7x people inquire about this car for sale at higher than retail price, when I told them it was getting a new engine due to an assembly issue none of them were interested.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
That looks a lot worse than it is. As long as the mechanic got all the wires un hooked that is the easiest way to change an engine.

Basically 10 bolts and the assembly drops right out.

OP
OP

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
And the shifter and the brake lines and the fuel lines etc.... I know what goes into it and I know there will be marks on everything, bolts that were e-coated factory thread lock gone etc....
Sponsored