OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
My cynical self can’t help but to say - I wouldn’t expect anyone on the Ford payroll to suggest that an outgoing model is better in any way than the incoming one....or to really say anything bad at all about the current car.

Also I have to believe both cars HAVE been run on the same day by the same ^^driver - so why not publish it? Seems a little self-serving to use that metric to discredit 3rd party testing while never providing that data, when they have it.

That said, I have no doubt the 500 is faster. It takes an already fast car and adds a ton of HP along with the quickness/smoothness of the DCT. The weight is like having a fat passenger in your 350 - it’s still going to get around the track just fine.

Preference between the cars is personal and subjective but one is definitely faster than the other. Consumables will be higher on the 500 but if you bought a car to do a lot of track days, you should have expected and planned for this..bench racing this stat doesn’t make much sense.
Yeah, I agree with 95% of that. It’s sort of like the old adage about boats... buy a boat according to what you’re gonna do with it 80% of the time.

I’m sure the CFTP is a blast on the track, and I’m sure the weight acts differently on the track than just a fat passenger (no need to delve the physics of it all). At no point have I declared that it isn’t the “King” of hot laps between the R and the CFTP... just tougher on the wallet, in many ways, to run the King at the track.

Sure, if I’m some rich dude or I have all the consumables afforded to me cause I’m developing the car, that’s fine and dandy, but for us common folk it means a little more.

Good post, though, Jeff.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That said, I have no doubt the 500 is faster. It takes an already fast car and adds a ton of HP along with the quickness/smoothness of the DCT. The weight is like having a fat passenger in your 350 - it’s still going to get around the track just fine.

Preference between the cars is personal and subjective but one is definitely faster than the other. Consumables will be higher on the 500 but if you bought a car to do a lot of track days, you should have expected and planned for this..bench racing this stat doesn’t make much sense.
Right, the 500 will cost more to run than a GT350, which will cost more to run than a GT, which will cost more to run than a Miata. Faster and more power costs more.

I agree preference is subjective.

Yeah, I agree with 95% of that. It’s sort of like the old adage about boats... buy a boat according to what you’re gonna do with it 80% of the time.

I’m sure the CFTP is a blast on the track, and I’m sure the weight acts differently on the track than just a fat passenger (no need to delve the physics of it all). At no point have I declared that it isn’t the “King” of hot laps between the R and the CFTP... just tougher on the wallet, in many ways, to run the King at the track.

Sure, if I’m some rich dude or I have all the consumables afforded to me cause I’m developing the car, that’s fine and dandy, but for us common folk it means a little more.

Good post, though, Jeff.
A lot of these posts are saying things similar to what Mustang GT people say about the GT350. And the cost of consumables (and the car itself) are reasons why I own a GT currently even though I'd prefer a GT350.

Anyway, I'm a manual transmission person which always sealed it for me in a choice between GT500 and GT350. I think the GT350 is amazing. And I believe the Savage Geese review that said there's a fear factor when you get on the throttle in the GT500. Awesome I'm sure. Both great cars.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
you folks can rationalize it all you want, at the end of a 3 day track weekend, I need a new set of tires and I have gone through 2 sets of brakes. I have to fill my tank after each session. I dont see how that is going to be any different with the 500.

So as it has been said, it is going to come down to preference. Ill let you know which one is the better car at the track.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
you folks can rationalize it all you want, at the end of a 3 day track weekend, I need a new set of tires and I have gone through 2 sets of brakes. I have to fill my tank after each session. I dont see how that is going to be any different with the 500.

So as it has been said, it is going to come down to preference. Ill let you know which one is the better car at the track.
You mean you'll let us know which car is your preference ;) :)

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I quit road racing back in the early 90's due to costs. I was chasing points. I still do a track day or 2 a year.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
No, lol. I will let you know which car is better for the track (consistently). The SP glory lap crap is just that.
I know you know what I mean. Better = better for YOU at the track. Fastest...yes, you will discover this and we both already know what will happen there!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I know you know what I mean. Better = better for YOU at the track. Fastest...yes, you will discover this and we both already know what will happen there!
Isn't that the point? Faster and better performance is what the 500 is supposed to be, right?
If people are looking for an orgasmic experience to and from cars and coffee, well, I get that too. I enjoy driving and tracking the R. I am looking forward to the performance enhancements that the GT500 will bring. If it is a dog, I will call it a dog..... But I don't think that will be the case.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Isn't that the point? Faster and better performance is what the 500 is supposed to be, right?
If people are looking for an orgasmic experience to and from cars and coffee, well, I get that too. I enjoy driving and tracking the R. I am looking forward to the performance enhancements that the GT500 will bring. If it is a dog, I will call it a dog..... But I don't think that will be the case.
I see - I was speaking in the context of the subject of this thread...which doesn't say faster..it says preferred.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I look forward to your experiences. Be safe while doing such. No doubt going fast is fun... and I’m sure you can afford whatever consumables come your way. Enjoy.
Yes, lots of folks who don't like the brake dust have sold their new OEM pads for 1/2 price shipped. Thats gravy. Otherwise, I don't think brake pads cost a bunch more than the 350, so no savings there. I never buy tires at full price at tire rack..... I need a new set after a weekend anyway, so no savings there..... Both cars take about a case of oil and use the same filter, again, no savings there..... I have to fill the 350 up after each session, so no savings there..... Where you do save is that I don't have to flush the DCT after each weekend. The service interval is quite extended, its unbelievable..... So overall It should be a little less for the fluids and a little more for the gas. Gas is cheap right now.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I see - I was speaking in the context of the subject of this thread...which doesn't say faster..it says preferred.
Yes, for the track, I will prefer whatever gets my ass around the circuit the fastest. I also prefer the R for what it is too. We talked about your issues and concerns with the 500, but I really don't think you gave it much of a chance. You put what? 10 miles on it?

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Yes, lots of folks who don't like the brake dust have sold their new OEM pads for 1/2 price shipped. Thats gravy. Otherwise, I don't think brake pads cost a bunch more than the 350, so no savings there. I never buy tires at full price at tire rack..... I need a new set after a weekend anyway, so no savings there..... Both cars take about a case of oil and use the same filter, again, no savings there..... I have to fill the 350 up after each session, so no savings there..... Where you do save is that I don't have to flush the DCT after each weekend. The service interval is quite extended, its unbelievable..... So overall It should be a little less for the fluids and a little more for the gas. Gas is cheap right now.
No doubt AOC and pole climbing Kamala will be waiting on you at the gas pump pretty soon......... if this craziness can’t be reversed.

Good points. Thanks
Sponsored