lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I went with a regular GT350 for the seats and a rear seat in case my granddaughter wants to ride. In 2019 the difference between stock and an "R "was tenths and the road conditions in my home area are so bad a carbon fiber wheel gets a death sentence every time you leave the driveway.

I'm not a guy who swaps performance cars annually so people will look at me everywhere I go. (My step father was a classic BMW douchebag who bought a new M3/5/whatever all the time) My car purchase was well thought out. I wanted a manual, I wanted normally aspirated, I preferred a Shelby over a Porsche, Jaguar, Alfa or even a moderately priced Ferrari. Yes, they are all cool and were all in the budget.

Yes, tires, gas and maintenance were going to be expensive. I have a buddy with a Ferrari in his garage as we speak. Insurance for a month in the summer is expensive and all of the costs and deductibles are high. The 15,000 mile service is well over $10K, pushing $15K for new timing chains, his price quote, not my guess. A door ding is pricey and he has driven it once in two years.

I looked at a GT500 and while interesting for stop light racing or scaring kids in Hondas. It really didn't get me as excited as 8,250 normally aspirated RPMs and a manual trans. I utterly wrung the performance out of my Track Attack GT350 in Charlotte, I was on the limiter when they said stay in 4th on the NASCAR oval and deep into 5th when they didn't care as much and it ran like a demon every time, tires got a little greasy, brakes are awesome. Zero complaints and the second day in a prepped GT confirmed buying a GT350 was a great choice.

I think the GT350 is oriented towards driver's who love to drive and that's why I picked it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking you could be my pit crew. Dont forget to clean the windshiled......
We tried that last year, you didnt like me in the chair watching you last year!!

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I went with a regular GT350 for the seats and a rear seat in case my granddaughter wants to ride. In 2019 the difference between stock and an "R "was tenths
It's a lot more than "tenths". But yes the 2019 GT350 is faster than the 2017-18 GT350, but the 2019 R also increased in performance.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
It's a lot more than "tenths". But yes the 2019 GT350 is faster than the 2017-18 GT350, but the 2019 R also increased in performance.
What’s your thoughts of the handling with the new knuckle in the 2020 R vs the prior knuck?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What’s your thoughts of the handling with the new knuckle in the 2020 R vs the prior knuck?
I'm not billy (obviously), but my CFTP was tramlining all over the place yesterday. It has the same knuckle you have on your 20R. It was very similar to any of the other Rs I have.

Tramlinimg seems to be dependent on the road you are driving on. If there are imperfections or rutts, the tramlining is more prevalent.

I dont know if I ever saw anything official from ford pertaining to a reduction in tramlining as a byproduct of the new knuckle. I'd be curious to hear what Billy has to say about this, because on the uneven roads, I had to pay close attention just like.my Rs.

I plan to do a string alignment shortly, so maybe that might alleviate the phenomenon.

Sponsored

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I'm not billy (obviously), but my CFTP was tramlining all over the place yesterday. It has the same knuckle you have on your 20R. It was very similar to any of the other Rs I have.

Tramlinimg seems to be dependent on the road you are driving on. If there are imperfections or rutts, the tramlining is more prevalent.

I dont know if I ever saw anything official from ford pertaining to a reduction in tramlining as a byproduct of the new knuckle. I'd be curious to hear what Billy has to say about this, because on the uneven roads, I had to pay close attention just like.my Rs.

I plan to do a string alignment shortly, so maybe that might alleviate the phenomenon.
I'm curious to hear about the improvements as well. On a bad road mine will sometimes follow imperfections but not to the point that it will dart in the next lane. I just remember some of the reviews on the older models and hearing how bad it was (Savage Geese). So I went in thinking I would have to be fighting the wheel every time I hit an imperfection, but overall it's not an issue to me on mine.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm curious to hear about the improvements as well. On a bad road mine will sometimes follow imperfections but not to the point that it will dart in the next lane. I just remember some of the reviews on the older models and hearing how bad it was (Savage Geese). So I went in thinking I would have to be fighting the wheel every time I hit an imperfection, but overall it's not an issue to me on mine.
I have no dog in the fight. I have two Rs and a CFTP. Each are great for what they are. However this whole elimination of tramlining thing is a bunch of hooey. It was a pain in the ass keeping the CFTP going straight down 'ol A1A for an extended drive.

My thoughts on the matter are that instead of Ford having to make two separate parts for two separate cars, they adopted the one part for the other. Case in point.... The 5.2L block, the steering knuckle...

But Im not stating the above as fact. I am simply commenting on my own perceptions driving both cars. Take it for what its worth.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
This youtuber says the 2020 HEP R he reviews tramlines all over.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The tramlining is no longer an issue. IIRC, your CFTP has wider front tires and a little longer diameter from the surface to the hub. In addition, aren’t the CFTP SC2’s softer comp than the R comp? I can see a few reasons why you’d get different feedback.

I’m more excited to hear his feedback about turn-in and feedback from the new knuckle on the R. Asking a track pro like Billy about tramlining is akin to asking Herschel Walker if artificial turf is better than grass. The surfaces Billy has exercised these cars over at their limits have most likely been well maintained and tramlining is inconsequential.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This youtuber says the 2020 HEP R he reviews tramlines all over.

Exactly my impression as well. I think all this magic '20 R with no tramling is a bunch of fake news.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The tramlining is no longer an issue. IIRC, your CFTP has wider front tires and a little longer diameter from the surface to the hub. In addition, aren’t the CFTP SC2’s softer comp than the R comp? I can see a few reasons why you’d get different feedback.

I’m more excited to hear his feedback about turn-in and feedback from the new knuckle on the R. Asking a track pro like Billy about tramlining is akin to asking Herschel Walker if artificial turf is better than grass. The surfaces Billy has exercised these cars over at their limits have most likely been well maintained and tramlining is inconsequential.
The CFTP has the same tire size (305/315) as the R. The difference is 19" vs 20". Softer? In terms of street use, I dont really think there is much of a difference. I think to see the true difference between the tires, they need to get to track temps.

It"s strange how the reports that are coming in vary so much from the initial claim that the tramlining has been eliminated. Now that that myth has been dispelled, are we are going to change the subject to something else more R positive to talk about?

I think it would be fair game to ask Billy anything about this car. After all, he is the development driver.

OP
OP
DrumReaper

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest factor btw the R and the CFTP is the amount of weight over the front wheels, which would affect both turn-in and tramlining.

I don’t think anyone here has said there is “zero tramlining” in the R with the new knuckle... does the new knuckle make the uneven road driving experience better... yes!.. Does it come at the handicap of worse communication between the input of the driver and receipt of what the front end is doing?... I don’t think so, but I’d certainly like to hear that side from the man who has tracked both cars....

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
but I’d certainly like to hear that side from the man who has tracked both cars....
Soon enough Fred...... I'll let you know.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Exactly my impression as well. I think all this magic '20 R with no tramling is a bunch of fake news.
Lol - it's definitely not. No one said NO tramlining. Perhaps your car has other factors at play that maybe re-introduced it to a degree? I know from experience that there are many factors that can reduce or increase the effect. Weight differences and perhaps alignment differences for the 500 could come into play?

If I had never driven an R before, I'd probably mention the tramlining in this 20... but knowing what I know, it's improved but not gone!
Sponsored

Last edited: