Sponsored

Coyote Stroker Kits

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I love the simplicity and effortless torque of my LT1 but there is nothing quite like a 5.0 at 7500 rpm. Cept maybe some voodoo. :)
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I love the simplicity and effortless torque of my LT1 but there is nothing quite like a 5.0 at 7500 rpm. Cept maybe some voodoo. :)
Stock to stock my c7 felt more torquey for sure. But, once the E85 tune on the gen3 was dialed in I sold the c7. The mid range to 7500 just walked the LT1 for half the $$.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I was wondering if anyone on the forum as any links to posts of people who have purchased and run one of the 344/351 Coyote Stroker kits. I can't really find what I'm looking for, but maybe someone has seen a thread or videos with dyno pulls and info.
I know Iā€™m late to the party on this thread but theyā€™re are a few reasons why
1) cost
2) you can do just as good with a 5.2 block and high compression
3) and this is the big one, piston speed is the major problem, the coyote has a 100mm bore spacing like all mod engines and this means. You canā€™t bore them out like you could some old v8 back in the day. I remember back when saleen was going to come out with the s351 coyote and poof it never came out. I also know of a few guys with the JPC big stroke engines and every single has failed at one point or another
It would be like asking an LT1 to rev to 8500rpm, not gonna happen
this engine design was never made to be anything more than a 5.0 or 5.2.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
That's really the one bad thing about the Mod motor in general - they are already "stroked". Ford had to do it to remain competitive with GM, but at the same time digging their heels, refusing to retool Romeo to accommodate a larger bore center. Larger bore = larger valves. Longer stroke really puts the hurtin' on everything because it drastically changes the acceleration of the piston. Plus, it throws off the rod to stroke ratio, and scuffs the crap put of the cylinder sides and pistons. To fix that, you gotta run a deeper skirt, which makes the piston heavier and more friction, and like you said, you basically get to the point where the piston almost falls out of the cylinder.

The LS7 (Corvette Z06 // 427 // 7.0L) had this exact problem. GM fixed the problem by lengthening the cylinder sleeves. It's a hack, yet worked quite well. Depending on the block geometry, it might technically be possible on a coyote, but by the time you do all that, you might as well just buy a racing block with a taller deck allowing you do to it right. I'm not sure why the balancing would be difficult other than the pistons or crank were lousy on the tolerances -- but I'm not an assembler, so I'm speaking as an internet quarterback does LOL.

Although I am not convinced Ford is willing to do a complete redesign of the coyote (electrification trumps everything right now) but if they did, it would be in their best interest to increase the bore centers. No other change (Short of using a better quality oil pump gear) will improve it more.

I'm an engine guy, I typically buy an engine and happen to get whatever car it's packaged in. I love the sound of the coyote and that it revs sky high over the LT1, and that's why I bought my mustang.

I found this blog post by JE Pistons which will help explain the "greek" for you :)
Read my comment above youā€™re 100 percent correct and also remember, that if Ford did redo the coyote block like GM did with the ls7
1) it would introduce another failure point cough cough ls7
2) why even bother just make an all new engine from the ground up

the reality is that the coyote has another generation left it before they either completely redo it or start over from scratch
Back in 2010 Ford said they wanted this engine design to last 10 years and support boosted applications

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
Swap a new 7.3 gas motor in the car?

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The MMR tall deck block that will get 400 CI is looking real good. Easily should get 700 N/A.

I don't think it will fit in a S550 without major changes.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
For the piston speed guys, we are turning the HD 124's to 7500 RPM. They hang together.

That is a 4-5/8 inch stroke

Modern parts are very well designed.

Thank you, IHRA mountain motor builders.

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
The MMR tall deck block that will get 400 CI is looking real good. Easily should get 700 N/A.

I don't think it will fit in a S550 without major changes.
Except one thing! That block has no engine coolant passages in it. It's only use is to fire it up in the staging lanes, burnout and run the quarter and shutdown. It absolutely could not be used on the street!!

Bear Racing Blocks did a full ground up and highly strengthened 5.0 Coyote block. It's a shame they didn't add a little bit of deck height while they were at it. Throw in a new cast or billet engine cover to go with it and we could have had a "streetable" 400 cid Coyote :)

Ken
Sponsored