Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
Now Available! JDM Engineering is taking orders for our Coyote Breather Kits. Take advantage of introductory pricing for a limited time! Initial orders will be ready to ship as early as next week (2/2/15).

2011-2015 Mustang GT/BOSS Coyote Breather Kit by JDM

Sponsored

Last edited:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Question for you guys.

How is this setup better or worse than the oil separators that are being offered by Bob's, UPR, etc?

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You lose the vacuum that is present in the stock system and you'll get oil mist in the engine bay. I had breathers on my 2013 GT and I went Bobs this time around. I've heard from a lot of people that keeping that vacuum in the system is important.

From "another forum"
Breathers are a poor choice for a car driven daily, as you have effectively removed vacuum from the engine crankcase. Without vacuum, vaporized contaminants from the engine lubricant can't escape the crankcase efficiently, settling back into the lubricant base oil when the engine is off. This forces the lubricant's detergent to work overtime, depleting it more rapidly, decreasing your oil change interval. Breathers and cheap lubricants, it's not uncommon to be forced to a 3,000 mile oil change, despite technology improvements in the formulation. All to prevent sludge buildup when lubricant detergents have been depleted.

The Petersen can, while cleaner than breathers on force induction cars, still removes vacuum from the crankcase. Far as I can tell from pictures, there is no line going to the intake to pull air from the can, creating a vacuum. Same principles above apply here.

Your best bet for a daily driver is either the JLT or Bob's oil separator setups, since neither of them delete the purpose of a PCV system. However, they can filter (separate) oil contaminant vapor from the air stream, allowing it to condense in the catch can, not the intake manifold of your car. If I had to choose either product, it would be Bob's hands down, as I have shown in the past with physics why it's superior, even after JLT's revision.

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
guide-52106_99134 Airaid cai-03.jpg

possibly just need 2 of these and 2 breather filters.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nick@JDM

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
guide-52106_99134 Airaid cai-03.jpg

possibly just need 2 of these and 2 breather filters.
We use a similar part but we include two new valve cover "nipples" and fasten them to the 45 degree fitting so the orientation does not change. Then we use squeeze clamps to hold the filters on so it looks really clean.

I am also working on a laser engraving for the top of the filters.

What do you guys think of these two options?

As for a catch can vs a breather setup...the breathers are technically not emissions legal since part of the PCV system's job is to keep fuel and oil vapors from venting to the atmosphere. In high HP applications the breathers that we designed will allow the crankcase to vent pressure better under boost and vacuum situations.

Most of these catch can systems out there are only functional under vacuum conditions. When used in a boosted application with high manifold pressure you don't want that forcing the PCV shut or back into the intake.

Breathers are best suited for turbo and centri supercharger applications.

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
We use a similar part but we include two new valve cover "nipples" and fasten them to the 45 degree fitting so the orientation does not change. Then we use squeeze clamps to hold the filters on so it looks really clean.

I am also working on a laser engraving for the top of the filters.

What do you guys think of these two options?

As for a catch can vs a breather setup...the breathers are technically not emissions legal since part of the PCV system's job is to keep fuel and oil vapors from venting to the atmosphere. In high HP applications the breathers that we designed will allow the crankcase to vent pressure better under boost and vacuum situations.

Most of these catch can systems out there are only functional under vacuum conditions. When used in a boosted application with high manifold pressure you don't want that forcing the PCV shut or back into the intake.

Breathers are best suited for turbo and centri supercharger applications.
I think it is a fantastic setup, however I think they are overpriced!

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
You lose the vacuum that is present in the stock system and you'll get oil mist in the engine bay. I had breathers on my 2013 GT and I went Bobs this time around. I've heard from a lot of people that keeping that vacuum in the system is important.

From "another forum"
So, what this says is, I need to have my intake suck the contaminates and debris into my engine combustion chamber? Im ok with the positive crankcase pressure spiting the debris into a breather and not being sucked out into my combustion chambers.

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
So, what this says is, I need to have my intake suck the contaminates and debris into my engine combustion chamber? Im ok with the positive crankcase pressure spiting the debris into a breather and not being sucked out into my combustion chambers.
Thats what catch cans are for, these breathers should only be used when you have forced induction. There shouldn't be any debris in your crankcase, just oil and blowby vapors

The pcv system helps keep rings pulled down and removes blowby vapors from the crankcase that acidify and shorten oil life. The pcv system draws fresh air through the drivers side breather and pulls it out the passenger side breather. This flushes out any blowby vapors from the crankcase which helps to keep oil fresh, if you dont want anything entering the combustion chamber but air then put a catch can on the passenger side pcv line, Mine catches any oil before it enters the intake. This is a new car anyway, the pcv system is a lot better and cleaner than mustangs of 15-20+ years ago

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats what catch cans are for, these breathers should only be used when you have forced induction. There shouldn't be any debris in your crankcase, just oil and blowby vapors

The pcv system helps keep rings pulled down and removes blowby vapors from the crankcase that acidify and shorten oil life. The pcv system draws fresh air through the drivers side breather and pulls it out the passenger side breather. This flushes out any blowby vapors from the crankcase which helps to keep oil fresh, if you dont want anything entering the combustion chamber but air then put a catch can on the passenger side pcv line, Mine catches any oil before it enters the intake. This is a new car anyway, the pcv system is a lot better and cleaner than mustangs of 15-20+ years ago
So.... Im looking at this set up (I've had a few drinks) and
i don't see how the air can be drawn in from the drivers side and expelled from the passenger side. If i were to remove both tube while running it appears as though I would see a vacuum on both sides.

Sponsored

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So.... Im looking at this set up (I've had a few drinks) and
i don't see how the air can be drawn in from the drivers side and expelled from the passenger side. If i were to remove both tube while running it appears as though I would see a vacuum on both sides.
Lol all good, ive had a few too. They are both under vacuum, the passenger side is always under more vacuum though unless the car is at wide open throttle. The throttle body acts as a valve. At idle, the intake tube is pretty much at room pressure since the air draw is very little and the tube is open to atmosphere from the air filter, while on the other side of the closed throttle body in the intake manifold, its under heavy vacuum. The passenger side is sucking to the manifold and it fills the sucked out air with replacement air through the drivers side which comes from the intake tube (its all metered air)

As you increase throttle (open throttle body) the pressure difference on each side of the throttle body decreases, which means as you increase throttle, the air draw from the crankcase decreases. so when your under heavy throttle, your not really drawing crankcase vapors which makes is a good thing obviously.

The pcv system is really only working full tilt when the car is at idle or cruising. And even though it may seem they are both under vacuum, pressure always flows high to low. So if one is under more vacuum (passenger side) that will determine the direction of flow.

Simply, the drivers side line just replaces the air that is removed from the passenger side line and the suction power of the passenger side line is determined through throttle. Strongest at idle and weakest/non-existent at wide open throttle

It flows and works solely on the pressure difference between the intake tube and intake manifold caused by the throttle body

Falconetti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol all good, ive had a few too. They are both under vacuum, the passenger side is always under more vacuum though unless the car is at wide open throttle. The throttle body acts as a valve. At idle, the intake tube is pretty much at room pressure since the air draw is very little and the tube is open to atmosphere from the air filter, while on the other side of the closed throttle body in the intake manifold, its under heavy vacuum. The passenger side is sucking to the manifold and it fills the sucked out air with replacement air through the drivers side which comes from the intake tube (its all metered air)

As you increase throttle (open throttle body) the pressure difference on each side of the throttle body decreases, which means as you increase throttle, the air draw from the crankcase decreases. so when your under heavy throttle, your not really drawing crankcase vapors which makes is a good thing obviously.

The pcv system is really only working full tilt when the car is at idle or cruising. And even though it may seem they are both under vacuum, pressure always flows high to low. So if one is under more vacuum (passenger side) that will determine the direction of flow.

Simply, the drivers side line just replaces the air that is removed from the passenger side line and the suction power of the passenger side line is determined through throttle. Strongest at idle and weakest/non-existent at wide open throttle

It flows and works solely on the pressure difference between the intake tube and intake manifold caused by the throttle body
Then this makes sense as the air drawn in would be after the air filter into the crancase and back into the motor. Thank you! I have a beer for you, but you're not here so Ill drink it for you. But really thanks man.:cheers:

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then this makes sense as the air drawn in would be after the air filter into the crancase and back into the motor. Thank you! I have a beer for you, but you're not here so Ill drink it for you. But really thanks man.:cheers:
:cheers: Cheers to that man!

Now when you have a blower or turbo which would obviously cause there to be pressured air in the intake, you can pressurize the crankcase through the pcv line. This is when youd want these breathers for sure unless you make a custom pcv system. For naturally aspirated its smarter in my opinion to just run the catch can on the passenger side line

Sorry JDM if im hijacking here

skeeter

MAGA
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradford
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP TY
Is that a intake manifold or a pd blower in the first pick? Something I have not seen.

I am a noob.