Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the Roush tips are a different piece and if you notice they're almost the exact same setup and shape as the Corsa tips. I've seen 2 people put the Corsa 4" tips on the Roush axle back and with a slight modification to make it fit, it looks great.

Edit: example thread here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-roush-axle-back-exhaust-corsa-tips.105734/

Like I said before it's a small complaint that I haven't felt like throwing another $300 to fix it...it just sounds to good now.

IMHO you'd have to be blind to not notice the difference though. I also wonder what Roush meant when they advertised a 4" tip, is it 4"'s long or something?
Not thinking tips will change the sound any. I did see 4" tips advertised with regards to the active valve set they list.

No spec for axle back , when looking at the site. I noticed the differences viewing two pictures of the rear with systems side by side .......... hoping, they were the same, now confirm they are not....boo

300 bucks for tips LMAO I can make that happen for a quarter of the price. Do not mind paying a functioning upgrade, tips are not one.

Thanks, for the information.
Pep
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Interestingly I have no drone at all with the Steeda set-up. I do have the 6 speed manual and that does make a difference to the sound from the cars, I've heard with autos.

I installed a Steeda H pipe and Steeda Agressive Axle backs (similar to your Roush) What a mistake that was. Too loud and drone at some rpms was unbearable. So I removed the H pipe and replace with the factory resonator, but left the axle backs. Sooo much better. Sounds great and almost all the drone is gone. Casual driving is similar to stock with a little more volume. But get in it and she roars.
if that had not worked, plan was going Back to the H pipe and add AWE touring axle backs. Similar to what AZ18yote has already done. Never owned AWE but researched them and their stuff looks awesome.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Drone, this is an interesting term, not sure it is being used correctly. The only time I've heard drone in a car, mufflers had no tail pipes.

Once the tail pipes were installed the sound went out the back.
Exhaust drone, is the sound wave, resonating off the floor pan, and pavement, tail pipes take it out the back.

I do not expect the drone complainers to change their tunes. And call it what it is, car is too loud for them.

Too loud is the problem, I know sounds like a weak reason, to back the volume off. So drone becomes the bad actor .

Just funny

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
I had Roush axle-backs on my 2012 GT and loved them. They were loud when I was on it (or at cold start) and droneless/quiet when cruising. Pretty spectacular mufflers IMO. I also left my resonator in which surely helps.

5.0_Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ever
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
Has anyone had issues with there Roush Axle backs or cat-back systems? I own a 2017 Mustang GT PP. I bought the car with an Roush axle back and I assume the roush h-pipe (no name on it). I've noticed a difference in sound from the exhaust over the last couple of weeks. For example during start up and my morning commute the exhaust sounds loud and raspy. At other times it sounds muffled and not as loud. Does the sound change as the car warms up? Anyone experience this?

Sponsored

maximizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maximizer
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT V8 with 41k miles
I have to say I'm really happy with the sound of the Roush axle back. For me it's the perfect upgrade to my 19 GT. More volume and a better tone than stock without being too loud. At first I was looking at adding either an X-pipe or H-pipe to the stock exhaust but I'm so glad I didn't go that route. Those options have more of a tinny sound. I realize some prefer much louder setups but this one is just right for me.
Same. I’ve only done the Roush AB and love the sound and am glad I didn’t do more because it would have killed the convertible experience by being too obnoxious.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Has anyone had issues with there Roush Axle backs or cat-back systems? I own a 2017 Mustang GT PP. I bought the car with an Roush axle back and I assume the roush h-pipe (no name on it). I've noticed a difference in sound from the exhaust over the last couple of weeks. For example during start up and my morning commute the exhaust sounds loud and raspy. At other times it sounds muffled and not as loud. Does the sound change as the car warms up? Anyone experience this?
With any exhaust warm starts will definitely sound different and quieter than cold starts and volume will come down some after everything warms up over time when driving.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Yeah the sound changes from day to day. Warming up will certainly change the note and I think the weather will make it sound different from day to day too.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Heat cycles over time will also change it some .. @ the OP what kind of a problem could be expected short of falling off the car ...... its a muffler.

Thoughts please ?
Ah, very true, I forgot about time...good add on.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]
I really like the way the Roush AB sounds but I'm not a fan of the smaller then stock tips. How do they get away with advertising "quad 4 inch tips" when they're exactly 3.5 inch i don't know. Small complaint though as the sound is perfect for me.
I have the answer the stock Ford tips, 6.0 long, and 3.50 OD at the tip.

The Roush to me looks like the rolled edge and straight cut (?) makes it look smaller.

The Ford tip with a slash cut and thin walls make the tips looks larger.

So now the hunt, slash cut, thin wall tail pipes, should, be an easy find

Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Drone, this is an interesting term, not sure it is being used correctly. The only time I've heard drone in a car, mufflers had no tail pipes.

Once the tail pipes were installed the sound went out the back.
Exhaust drone, is the sound wave, resonating off the floor pan, and pavement, tail pipes take it out the back.

I do not expect the drone complainers to change their tunes. And call it what it is, car is too loud for them.

Too loud is the problem, I know sounds like a weak reason, to back the volume off. So drone becomes the bad actor .

Just funny

Unless you actually have drone. on my old vette, it droned very bad on the highway, but the exhaust was super quiet both inside and out. at highway speeds you would get a very deep, headache inducing hum. slow down and it goes away, speed up it goes away, down shift it goes away. 2000 rpm was just brutal in that thing. pulled that exhaust off and put the original catback back on it and the car got louder, a little more high pitched, but zero drone

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
With any exhaust warm starts will definitely sound different and quieter than cold starts and volume will come down some after everything warms up over time when driving.
Agree. Other than louder when cold I haven't noticed much change in the sound. It's definitely more muffled with the windows rolled down. :)

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I have the answer the stock Ford tips, 6.0 long, and 3.50 OD at the tip.

The Roush to me looks like the rolled edge and straight cut (?) makes it look smaller.

The Ford tip with a slash cut and thin walls make the tips looks larger.

So now the hunt, slash cut, thin wall tail pipes, should, be an easy find
Yeah, I looked at that option also and you can even get 4.5" od thin wall tips that look just like the GT500 for pretty cheap.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I looked at that option also and you can even get 4.5" od thin wall tips that look just like the GT500 for pretty cheap.
That's interesting, 4.5.... think I'll mock that up see how that looks, there may not be room

A big plus is unlike the Ford Active ex tail pipes. The Roush is a removal unit, can work it on the bench.

Pretty much with the Roush X pipe, and the axel backs. Will have pieced together a cat back system.

Jones SS Exhaust systems seems to be a good resource.