MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have to say I'm really happy with the sound of the Roush axle back. For me it's the perfect upgrade to my 19 GT. More volume and a better tone than stock without being too loud. At first I was looking at adding either an X-pipe or H-pipe to the stock exhaust but I'm so glad I didn't go that route. Those options have more of a tinny sound. I realize some prefer much louder setups but this one is just right for me.
Sponsored

Vstang2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I agree , did the H pipe and it sounded ok but tinny for sure. Ripped the whole cat back off and replaced with Solo Perfomance MachXVIII......no more tinny!

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yup agreed. Stock mufflers sound tinny with resonator gone. My exhaust journey on my 18 gt when I first got it way back in 17 started with just an x pipe. Slight uptick in volume but tone turned tinny. Lasted for about a month before going full Corsa Xtreme cat back. Sounded great while stock, pretty large volume increase. Then went ARH catted long tubes, huge volume increase but tone became too trumpety. Added a couple Vibrant resonators to the mix, killed the trumpety tone and brought down the rasp and volume a bit. Ultimately cut off the Corsa mufflers and Vibrants but kept the Corsa double X and added the AWE Touring axle back. By far was my favorite combo. More character down low, can still control volume, but screams up top. But to circle back almost any after market choice should kill that tinny sound.

3onthetree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Man. W/PP
I installed a Steeda H pipe and Steeda Agressive Axle backs (similar to your Roush) What a mistake that was. Too loud and drone at some rpms was unbearable. So I removed the H pipe and replace with the factory resonator, but left the axle backs. Sooo much better. Sounds great and almost all the drone is gone. Casual driving is similar to stock with a little more volume. But get in it and she roars.
if that had not worked, plan was going Back to the H pipe and add AWE touring axle backs. Similar to what AZ18yote has already done. Never owned AWE but researched them and their stuff looks awesome.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I have to say I'm really happy with the sound of the Roush axle back. For me it's the perfect upgrade to my 19 GT. More volume and a better tone than stock without being too loud. At first I was looking at adding either an X-pipe or H-pipe to the stock exhaust but I'm so glad I didn't go that route. Those options have more of a tinny sound. I realize some prefer much louder setups but this one is just right for me.
Roush does sound great. Sounds even better with LTHs. I'm not sure if Roush's exhaust options have improved as far as quality, but I'm hoping so. The Roush mufflers on my car are starting to have issues. Something came loose inside the driver's side muffler and now rattles at certain RPMs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Steeda H pipe and Steeda Agressive Axle backs (similar to your Roush) What a mistake that was. Too loud and drone at some rpms was unbearable. So I removed the H pipe and replace with the factory resonator, but left the axle backs. Sooo much better. Sounds great and almost all the drone is gone. Casual driving is similar to stock with a little more volume. But get in it and she roars.
if that had not worked, plan was going Back to the H pipe and add AWE touring axle backs. Similar to what AZ18yote has already done. Never owned AWE but researched them and their stuff looks awesome.
I will definitely not be adding an X or H pipe to pair with the Roush. I like it just how it is, which is very similar to how you describe the Steeda axle back. Except I really have no drone at at all.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Roush does sound great. Sounds even better with LTHs. I'm not sure if Roush's exhaust options have improved as far as quality, but I'm hoping so. The Roush mufflers on my car are starting to have issues. Something came loose inside the driver's side muffler and now rattles at certain RPMs.
I know someone who has a Roush axle back with long tubes and an H pipe. It's way too loud and raspy for me. To each his own, though. He likes it.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I know someone who has a Roush axle back with long tubes and an H pipe. It's way too loud and raspy for me. To each his own, though. He likes it.
I understand. I'm glad the Mustang has such great aftermarket support you can have it quiet, loud, or anywhere in between. I actually have aftermarket resonators on mine to get rid of some of the rasp and clean up the sound a bit. It even lowered the volume a tad.

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the way the Roush AB sounds but I'm not a fan of the smaller then stock tips. How do they get away with advertising "quad 4 inch tips" when they're exactly 3.5 inch i don't know. Small complaint though as the sound is perfect for me.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I understand. I'm glad the Mustang has such great aftermarket support you can have it quiet, loud, or anywhere in between. I actually have aftermarket resonators on mine to get rid of some of the rasp and clean up the sound a bit. It even lowered the volume a tad.
Very true. I've been to local meets and cruises with exhausts ranging from bone stock to catless lth with Corsa extremes. Lots of choices out there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I really like the way the Roush AB sounds but I'm not a fan of the smaller then stock tips. How do they get away with advertising "quad 4 inch tips" when they're exactly 3.5 inch i don't know. Small complaint though as the sound is perfect for me.
I guess the previous owner of mine felt the same way. He had put bigger tips on them. He was selling because he added lth and thought it was too loud.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for confirming that.
The tips are the exact reason that's keeping me from making a purchase.

OU81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for confirming that.
The tips are the exact reason that's keeping me from making a purchase.
The tips are not anything at all to notice or worry about. People just make a mountain out of a mole hill & find the littlest thing to complain about these days. I have had the Roush axlebacks on my 19 gt for a little under 2 yrs now. I read all the comments then about small tips, got them anyway & still 2 yrs later read comments about it. They don't look bad at all & IMO aren't even a noticeable thing. I have never once looked at the back of the car & cared about them & that is coming from a guy that has changed from 4" to 5" tips almost immediately on my 2016 Ram I had & 2020 Ram I have now. On the trucks the tips did look too small, especially the 2016 with the smaller factory 4" tips, but on the Mustang with the quad tips there is enough going on back there that the 3.5" tips look like every other exhaust. If it weren't a quad tip then yes it would be too small. The exhaust sounds amazing & you can't go wrong.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
The tips are not anything at all to notice or worry about. People just make a mountain out of a mole hill & find the littlest thing to complain about these days. I have had the Roush axlebacks on my 19 gt for a little under 2 yrs now. I read all the comments then about small tips, got them anyway & still 2 yrs later read comments about it. They don't look bad at all & IMO aren't even a noticeable thing. I have never once looked at the back of the car & cared about them & that is coming from a guy that has changed from 4" to 5" tips almost immediately on my 2016 Ram I had & 2020 Ram I have now. On the trucks the tips did look too small, especially the 2016 with the smaller factory 4" tips, but on the Mustang with the quad tips there is enough going on back there that the 3.5" tips look like every other exhaust. If it weren't a quad tip then yes it would be too small. The exhaust sounds amazing & you can't go wrong.

No that is definitely not me, for instance, don't like the rolled edge seen on most after market stuff. To me makes the pipe look smaller. The stock Mustang tip edge is only as thick as the tubing its made from

After the post above, looking at the Roush site, see the tips are a separate piece. I can chop the tips off, get the 4'' tips on there.

As of now running X pipe, have the active exhaust permanently set to track. Pulled the plugs off the valves.
The car sounds and preforms great.,with the Roush cold air and the L1 tune. Runs and sounds angry, louder angry is better. So weighing my options, plan A find the tips .

Thanks for the information

Beers on me

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the Roush tips are a different piece and if you notice they're almost the exact same setup and shape as the Corsa tips. I've seen 2 people put the Corsa 4" tips on the Roush axle back and with a slight modification to make it fit, it looks great.

Edit: example thread here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-roush-axle-back-exhaust-corsa-tips.105734/

Like I said before it's a small complaint that I haven't felt like throwing another $300 to fix it...it just sounds to good now.

IMHO you'd have to be blind to not notice the difference though. I also wonder what Roush meant when they advertised a 4" tip, is it 4"'s long or something?
Sponsored