Sponsored

GT350: Caveat Emptor

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
that's the point of out-going QC and in-coming QC at ford which they clearly don't do or not near enough of it.
So... one could assume that Porsche is possibly worse at it than Ford, if this is the case... right?
Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Speaking of lousy qc, my ex wife couldn't butter toast on the correct side. OMG ! :frown: :crackup:

mysta_sandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Domenic
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
mine happened one saturday morning in the garage after a cold start: my oil pump seized and wrecked it..never taken it to the track
Issues can happen. My issue with the whole 'All GT350s can/will detonate' is that it's more than likely less than 1-5% off cars produced and anything from a Toyota Camry to a Maserati will have issues of some kind.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So... one could assume that Porsche is possibly worse at it than Ford, if this is the case... right?
if Porsche's failure rates X/1000 is statistically worse, then yes. If the parts are to spec and provably so and engines still blow up then the design/engineering is at fault. The incidence of Cyl7 being the problem are much too high to blame it on happenstance. There is a fundamental ERROR in engineering as proximate cause.

If Porsche owners put up with glass slippers identifying as gasoline engines then they've got a screw loose.

Last edited:

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I don't know why Porsche came up in this discussion, and it doesn't bother me at all. But as a Shelby owner & a Porsche owner, I can say the build quality is different, but the service for issues is hugely different. Porsche goes over the top with their customers, Ford treats everybody equally. "Get in line, we'll fix your problem."
I have no problem with that... I wanted the Shelby and I understand I will be treated the same as a Focus or SUV owner.
I really don't know of engine issues with Porsche however.

I like my Shelby more that my Porsche.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if Porsche's failure rates X/1000 is statistically worse, then yes. If the parts are to spec and provably so and engines still blow up then the design/engineering is at fault. The incidence of Cyl7 being the problem are much too high to blame it on happenstance. There is a fundamental ERROR in engineering as proximate cause.

If Porsche owners put up with glass slippers identifying as gasoline engines then they've got a screw loose.
Why hasn’t Ford employed you by now to fix their issues?

I get tired of people with speculative smartness... as if they have Divine abilities to assess, interpolate and speak a fix without direct knowledge... and then say, “Ford this... Ford that.”

Let me know when Ford sends you an employment request...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me know when Ford sends you an employment request
I have no interest in working in MI or for any automotive company as mismanaged as all of Detroit is and has been for decades.
Ford already admitted they let a bad batch(s) of valves go thru. They apparently didn't black-ball every motor built up from those parts and it would seem blithely sent them out as replacements knowing full well their failure rate was expected to be outside the norm.

And if I was an engine designer I wouldn't be so STUPID as to attempt a long-stroke flat-plane engine without the necessary balancer shafts. Arguing with physics is dumb. You will never win.

Will GM fail as spectacularly with their Z06 engine? I'm guessing no, if for no other reason they don't need the stab in the PR eye that high engine failure rates would incur, but they seemingly have a better caliber of engineer than Ford - or their bean counters/managers aren't so powerful as to neuter the engineering goodness to the same degree.

You can have the best damn engineers but if you scrimp on QA, on materials, on testing it's all for naught.

Last edited:

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Issue is everyone thinks they are an expert. Car has been around long enough, they all don’t blow up, or are prone to blowing up, or are a time bomb waiting to blow up. Most of the people spreading this BS are the 1% that have had an issue. The OPs doom and gloom message is exactly what I am referring to.

Or they are guys who spend too much time on you tube.

I also get a kick out of people who think the gen2 voodoo is not prone to the same issues as the gen 1.

I am more worried about my AC compressor going out than my engine blowing up

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no interest in working in MI or for any automotive company as mismanaged as all of Detroit is and has been for decades.
Ford already admitted they let a bad batch(s) of valves go thru. They apparently didn't black-ball every motor built up from those parts and it would seem blithely sent them out as replacements knowing full well their failure rate was expected to be outside the norm.

And if I was an engine designer I wouldn't be so STUPID as to attempt a long-stroke flat-plane engine without the necessary balancer shafts. Arguing with physics is dumb. You will never win.

Will GM fail as spectacularly with their Z06 engine? I'm guessing no, if for no other reason they don't need the stab in the PR eye that high engine failure rates would incur, but they seemingly have a better caliber of engineer than Ford - or their bean counters/managers aren't so powerful as to neuter the engineering goodness to the same degree.

You can have the best damn engineers but if you scrimp on QA, on materials, on testing it's all for naught.
I got a hearty chuckle... thanks. Whether you want to work in MI or not I still haven’t seen Ford begging for your expertise.

The most logic in your post was the use of the word “if”...

You must’ve never heard of Vette engine failures that didn’t even have the complex engineering of a FPC... come out from under that rock.

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Issue is everyone thinks they are an expert. Car has been around long enough, they all don’t blow up, or are prone to blowing up, or are a time bomb waiting to blow up. Most of the people spreading this BS are the 1% that have had an issue. The OPs doom and gloom message is exactly what I am referring to.

Or they are guys who spend too much time on you tube.
What’s even crazier is that some of these FPC worrywarts don’t even own one.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)

SeattleDude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I have a BS in mechanical engineering from Purdue University. Several members of my class went on to work at Ford. I know first-hand that Ford’s recruitment process for engineers is extremely selective (high GPA, internships, etc.). Purdue’s ME department is one of the best in the US, regularly ranking in the top 5 for engineering. GM also recruits heavily from Purdue, as does BMW and others. I find the notion that GM’s engineers are smarter than Ford’s, or that Ford’s engineers don’t know what they’re doing, highly lacking in merit.

Hopefully, the American FPC Renaissance will continue despite the setback of dealing with a ~1% failure rate. Remember the Chevy Vega? It had one of the first engines with aluminum heads and steel valve seats. Allegedly, GM didn’t get the metallurgy right and the valve seats would fall out. Failure rates were likely much higher than 1%. Still the same, most cars today use aluminum heads with steel valve seats and no one thinks twice about it. Is the GT350 a Chevy Vega? Not hardly. Beyond the engineering changes that we’ve seen in the MY2019 cars, it has also been reported in these forums that Ford currently runs the GT350s on a dynamometer before they leave the factory. Nobody can say for certain when they started doing this, but nonetheless, Ford is certainly doing QA/QC at the factory and has been making changes to that process throughout the production run to reduce the failure rate.

Flat-plane crank engines are notoriously difficult to design and manufacture reliably. Ford stepped outside of their comfort zone and undoubtedly had a few lessons to learn with the Voodoo. Nipping at Ford’s heals, it is rumored that the new 2022 C8 Z06 will employ a 5.5L flat-plane crank engine. I‘m betting GM will go through the same growing pains that Ford has with the Voodoo. Everyone prepare yourselves for more shade tree mechanic experts bashing GM’s engineers.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Sure wish you'd post during daylight hours ........................ At first read, I thought your log in was Seattle Duck. :clap: 'Scuse me. I gotta go clean mah glasses. :crackup:

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
So, you had a bad experience... you got a buyback... and now you’re complaining cause you have parts in your garage?

Just sell them... what’s to complain about that?
Its the internet. Complaints. That's the way it works. Make noise.

Yeah it sucks that the engine blew up. Does Ford have an issue? No more than any other engine it seems...

But noise. Noise. Make noise. Be seen. Be heard. Noise.

Things that don't make sense.

He has/had supposedly a 2020. Ford didn't cover the engine replacement on a brand new 2020? Wait so he drove it 36000 miles? Since MARCH of 2020? And then a second engine failure a few hundred miles later?

Sounds like either telling stories or bad luck.

Or possibly if true, the replacement block wasn't installed well.

But lets blame Ford right? And then moan and groan that 10k was spent extra and its all just laying around.

*sigh*

Pay attention to his posting history too. He comes in posts a whine, then never returns to the thread most of the time.
Sponsored

Last edited: