Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nah. Purchased in manly places while engaged in a manly enterprise.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to the wine collection...well, never mind...

Sell? Never. They go to the great great grandchildren who will ensure your exploits live forever...un-embellished...just as you presented them :)
I know. I got my Tabriz and Hereke carpets when I was defending this great country and its interests at Incirlik AB, and Adana Turkey. Its kind of funny looking back on my travels with the USAF. I would always buy stuff wherever I went. Speaking of wine collections, one time I brought home 12 cases of Bordeaux wine from deployment at Istrus France. The customs guy looked at me, looked at the wine, and said where do you think you are doing with all that? I said it was for personal consumption. He laughed and said get the out of here and don't pull this again.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I would imagine many of us have similar "gedunk" stories, to coin an official Naval term. :cool:

Go broke saving money, I say. <laughing>
And then there were the gold souks........

If I could only go back in time, I would have bought more.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
As we used to say back in the day, someoneā€™s house was decorated in ā€œEarly MACā€.
I was never in MAC, or AMC as they call it today. I have my share of stuff. But it had to fit in a travel pod. On some ventures, they would give us an ESTA bird and we would try to bring back larger stuff by burying it under other gear so the inspectors wouldnā€™t find it.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
As we used to say back in the day, someoneā€™s house was decorated in ā€œEarly MACā€.
I was never in MAC, or AMC as they call it today. I have my share of stuff. But it had to fit in a travel pod. On some ventures, they would give us an ESTA bird and we would try to bring back larger stuff by burying it under other gear so the inspectors wouldnā€™t find it.
Oh, and a puerto rico business effort...... A large transport aircraft loaded down with rum.

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
This showed up at the track, The Firm on Sat when we were there tracking. He had it out on the track along with his GT3 which he trailered. Did not see how it ran, I think he was still taking it easy and it was raining ALOT.

1600687936784.png

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
His GT3

1600688053347.png

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The body shop removed the wing and mounts from the deck lid. They found that the clearcoat was not properly allowed to cure before the wing mounts were installed (thank you Penske, good job!). I received photos of the wing mounts and the corrected deck lid today from the body shop.

They cleaned it up and polished it as best they could. They didn't want to go too far and go through what clear coat was left. I did not want them to repaint the deck lid so as to keep it original as it was delivered from the factory. The holes were treated and should not be a corrosion issue down the road. Its a real shame Penske did what they did. IMHO, they should not do the job, and Ford shouldn't offer the option if it cant be done right.

Attached are photos of the reworked deck lid and the mounts that have what appears to be clear coat stuck to the O ring. furthermore, the rubber washers that are associated with the inboard stud both appear to be damaged. I am seeking warranty replacements. It was discovered that you cannot buy the mounts by themselves through Ford. If you want the GT500 CFTP OEM wing mounts, you have to buy the whole $26,000 kit (wing, mounts, hardware).

So moving forward, the wing mounts and wing will not be installed back onto the car until the entire deck lid has been protected with Xpel so that there will be no more O ring to paint interaction.

Photos of deck lid after wing and mounts removed

above left deck lid wing mount.jpg

above right deck lid wing mount.jpg

under left deck lid wing mount.jpg

under right deck lid wing mount.jpg

broken rubber washer.jpg

wing clear coat on o ring2.jpg

wing clear coat on o ring3.jpg

Photos of deck lid that was reworked (painted around holes and polished)

left deck lid.jpg

right deck lid.jpg

Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Just a heads up if you cover the whole trunk With PPF then mount the spoiler, you run the risk of the spoiler vibrating and moving the film just enough to where the film will bunch up. Iā€™d recommend going just to the edge. Thatā€™s what I did on the carbon track pack I wrapped with XPEL

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Just a heads up if you cover the whole trunk With PPF then mount the spoiler, you run the risk of the spoiler vibrating and moving the film just enough to where the film will bunch up. Iā€™d recommend going just to the edge. Thatā€™s what I did on the carbon track pack I wrapped with XPEL
Are you sure about that? People mount GoPros to Xpel and then drive 160+ MPH with no effect. I'm not mounting the wing to the Xpel, but instead will be relying on the compression of the O ring from the torque of the mounting bolts. Besides, the studs and bolts have pretty close tolerances to the drilled holes. I must ask, where did you get that information?

I can always Xpel the lid again, the vibration and abrasion of the O ring against what little clear coat I have left is what concerns me.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
That is a horrible job by Penske. I cannot believe Ford knowingly would allow Penske to do that bad a hack job. Surely Penske is pulling one over on Ford Corp???
After reading the thread about others having the same quality work on their CFTP trunks, itā€™s not an isolated incident.

Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Are you sure about that? People mount GoPros to Xpel and then drive 160+ MPH with no effect. I'm not mounting the wing to the Xpel, but instead will be relying on the compression of the O ring from the torque of the mounting bolts. Besides, the studs and bolts have pretty close tolerances to the drilled holes. I must ask, where did you get that information?

I can always Xpel the lid again, the vibration and abrasion of the O ring against what little clear coat I have left is what concerns me.
Iā€™m positive, Iā€™m replacing a hood piece on a svr Range Rover because the hood vents move slightly. It will happen just a matter of time. I wrapped a 350 track pack trunk then installed the spoiler. Same thing happened. If the installers good, he can get film to the edge of the spoiler, and you shouldnā€™t notice it.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m positive, Iā€™m replacing a hood piece on a svr Range Rover because the hood vents move slightly. It will happen just a matter of time. I wrapped a 350 track pack trunk then installed the spoiler. Same thing happened. If the installers good, he can get film to the edge of the spoiler, and you shouldnā€™t notice it.
Yes, but the 350 track pack spoiler is held on by double sided tape..... maybe a few screws. The CFTP is bolted through the decklid 3X per side......

I'll ask my ppf installer to guarantee there won't be a problem. If its bolted down, I dont see how it could be.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
That is a horrible job by Penske. I cannot believe Ford knowingly would allow Penske to do that bad a hack job. Surely Penske is pulling one over on Ford Corp???
After reading the thread about others having the same quality work on their CFTP trunks, itā€™s not an isolated incident.
I wouldn't be surprised - assuming they (Ford) do actually give any shits - if they dropped the CFTP for 2021, as well as the painted stripes. Both of those seem to require outsourcing, and breaking out of the normal manufacturing process, it's probably a huge PITA to manage.

Maybe the new for '21 CFHP is the response to knowing they're dropping the CFTP. Also, the wheels being painted, I would think, would reduce the manufacturing effort (and/or better yield on usable wheels) since they don't have to worry about the cosmetics of the exposed CF[?]

The CFTP seems to be the TP minus the rear wing, which is one of the major issues.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I wouldn't be surprised - assuming they (Ford) do actually give any shits - if they dropped the CFTP for 2021, as well as the painted stripes. Both of those seem to require outsourcing, and breaking out of the normal manufacturing process, it's probably a huge PITA to manage.

Maybe the new for '21 CFHP is the response to knowing they're dropping the CFTP. Also, the wheels being painted, I would think, would reduce the manufacturing effort (and/or better yield on usable wheels) since they don't have to worry about the cosmetics of the exposed CF[?]

The CFTP seems to be the TP minus the rear wing, which is one of the major issues.
I'd wager that the CFHP is a test bed of sorts to determine the difference in take rate for the CFHP/CFTP options. If the CFHP wins out, maybe the CFTP goes away for '22. The beauty of the CF wheels is one of the perks of the CFTP though. Black painted, meh.

Yes, but the 350 track pack spoiler is held on by double sided tape..... maybe a few screws.
The 350TP spoiler is indeed held on with a healthy amount of tape and plenty of mechanical fasteners as well. I know because I put one on my '15 (and deburred and painted the holes, I might add) to hide some of Ford's horseshit pre-paint bodywork sins that I couldn't stand to look at.
Sponsored