Sponsored

Custom shift knobs, what material do you prefer? Weighted or not?

Which shift knob material do you prefer on a S550?

• Resin/ plastic

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Aluminum without weight

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Aluminum with added weight

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Stock

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Resin/plastic weighted

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • SS unweighted (light weight)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SS weighted

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Carbon fiber unweighted

• Carbon fiber weighted

• Leather unweighted

• Leather weighted

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
When I made the poll I forgot about leather and I didn’t realize Stainless Steel was an option.

Please lump SS in with the aluminum based on is it heavier than stock (therefore weighted) or not(unweighted)

I doubt anyone is making a SS unweighted
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
OP questions strike me odd, because I don't "shop" by those criteria. I have never cared what it was made out of. Only the quality of the aftermarket product, & if it weighted to my needs, etc.

A perfectly weighted Carbon fiber knob is as good as an equally weighted resin, or weighted alum one... it comes down to aesthetics at that point.

You said "us", so I assume you are thinking about making some for people? But you POLL is wholly awkward for asking us our choice, instead of your choice. No weighted resin in your poll, why? Or weighted leather..? Etc..

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
EDIT:
I caved and added several of the choices I inadvertently left out. Feel free to change your votes

Sorry for the lack of experience with shift knobs. From my cursory look, it appeared to me that those were the only choices. I have seen aluminum with carbon looking graphics and only recently a carbon one. But technically, the carbon fabric is in a epoxy resin so I grouped all resin ones together.

For the most part, weighted ones tend to be billet something - aluminum mostly and, as I found out, stainless steel. Personally, if you are not painting the stainless, it looks ugly with all the fake chrome in the car. The two metals clash IMHO. I also asked that those who prefer SS, include it in the 'Aluminum' category since it should have been a 'Metal' category. I added SS weighted and unweighted categories now.

I am not looking to make knobs, only get an idea if people are going with the metal even though they are somewhat uncomfortable in the very cold or very hot weather. Also, if they are going metal, is it weighted or not.

I am more than happy to modify the poll but not sure I can. Let me know how/if it is possible, and I will alter the poll with the appropriate changes.

Thanks

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I changed my vote to leather weighted. That would be my overall preference. I like the feel of the leather in my hand , and the weight of the one I have now.

SOMDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem PP1|MT6|MR, '17 Lexus IS300 f-Sport, '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I'm happy with the Ford Performance carbon fiber shift knob on my Barton shifter.
IMG_2008 2.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I changed my vote to leather weighted. That would be my overall preference. I like the feel of the leather in my hand , and the weight of the one I have now.
Got a link? I think a leather would be my preference too and a little weight might not be a bad idea.

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
20190612_192145.jpg
Got a link? I think a leather would be my preference too and a little weight might not be a bad idea.
My bad. I would like a weighted one. What i have is this. Not sure what it's made of, but it gets too hot and too cold. Freaking goldilocks here.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
20190612_192145.jpg

My bad. I would like a weighted one. What i have is this. Not sure what it's made of, but it gets too hot and too cold. Freaking goldilocks here.
Sounds like an aluminum one!!!

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like an aluminum one!!!
It probably is. I bought from another member here, so I don't what brand knob it is. It weighs about a pound or so.

Sponsored

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I have the raceseng ashiko it's pretty heavy as someone else has already said.

It goes into gear effortlessly and has made shifts feel more smooth.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If going custom, (regardless of material) why not one that has either the shift pattern or x-logo that illuminates at night....

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Colour coded Ford performance option for me :

8-F99-FD79-FE5-B-4-DBA-A466-E959-A0535-F28.jpg

WD :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Getting a heavier/longer/whatever knob in order to improve the feeling or precision of the gear shifts is one thing. But as far as aesthetics are concerned, frankly, I like the stock knob best. That brushed aluminum center with leather-wrapped sides looks awesome in my opinion and integrates perfectly with the rest of the car.
If I decided to replace the shifter knob, I think I would go for one without a shift pattern. I don't see the point in having the shift pattern engraved on the knob - does anybody ever forget where first is, or where fifth is?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect it may be one of those stupid legal hoops that the OE’s have to jump through :frown:

WD :like:
Sponsored